Question about Elysian Shadows?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Soap360
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Question about Elysian Shadows?

Post by Soap360 »

Im kinda lost on the fact as to which platform youre releasing the game.?... in your videos you said you would release it on the Dreamcast and PSP.... umm, why release it on the Dreamcast? Who honestly still plays the Dreamcast.... and the graphics don't look like they can match up to modern day PSP games. And Jforce challenged you guys to who can sell the most copies, if Im not correct. How are you going to put up against an Indie game? Which is only clicks away from being bought, unlike a dreamcast or PSP game (excluding the psp go) which you have to go out and buy a copy in the store, which not only costs more then an Indie game, but it's much more of a stuggle. I dont get it.. is this like your Big project which you hope to reel in all the cash to open more oppurtunities? Im just subscribed to you guys a few days ago and I'd just like to know what's your plan?

Regards and good luck!
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Question about Elysian Shadows?

Post by XianForce »

An 'Indie Game'? Elysian Shadows AND JForce's game are both indie games. Also, to answer your question, what point is there in developing if your not going to develop on your favorite platform? For Gyro, his favorite platform is the Dream Cast... So let him develop on the Dream Cast.

Also, Elysian Shadows is for PC and Mac (and likely Linux soon), and libGyro will allow them to add more platforms if they wish.

I think if it came down to it JForce vs. Elysian Shadows in sales, Elysian Shadows would dominate because it can now be stretched across as many platforms as they want, really.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

There's a few things you've got to understand. I don't think the Dreamcast build was ever intended to sell copies. I think I'm correct in saying that ES started as a homebrew project on the Dreamcast because Falco started programming on the Dreamcast several years back since it's a cool system, and that eventually led to them working on an RPG with Falco making an engine and Marcel making an editor. JForce's challenge is akin to being challenged to run through traffic by a random pedestrian. You could meet their challenge, but if you're not into dodging traffic for kicks then why bother? Besides, you're better off stepping back, building a bulldozer, and driving through traffic that way. Get what I'm saying? Why would you accept a silly challenge that's not in your interests?

I can't speak for their long-term intentions with the game, but I can say that you're misunderstanding their position. The videos, community, and the project didn't start from a big commercial background or a get-rich-quick approach the way JForce did (though I have to admit I respect them more than I used to with the way they've posted their sales figures, stepped back with the attitude somewhat, and seem to be actually moving forward on their project which is rare for guys who approach things full of air without anything to show for it in the first place). The ES team have something that looks very promising, especially with the experience that they've developed, but I'm not sure where you got this idea:
Soap360 wrote:I dont get it.. is this like your Big project which you hope to reel in all the cash to open more oppurtunities?
I don't doubt that they may be very successful with Elysian Shadows, but they've never touted that as the driving force behind their development. It's about a passion for game development - they've said that several times.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I'm not trying to be rude, but posts like this make me want to punch myself in the face. I will try my hardest to keep my sarcastic tendencies to a minimum, but I can already tell you that I shall fail.

Why, oh WHY is it that when people read "[..]a 2D RPG for the Sega Dreamcast, Sony PSP, and [...]" they completely stop. THE VERY NEXT WORD IS PC! Just because our engine and underlying framework is powerful enough to support multiple pieces of hardware (including a legacy piece of hardware), does not mean that we are pouring our hearts and souls into a game that is only going to be running on a dead (pft) console.
Soap360 wrote:umm, why release it on the Dreamcast? Who honestly still plays the Dreamcast....
A lot of people:
http://dcemulation.org (gigantic homebrew scene)
http://dcemu.co.uk (gigantic homebew scene)
http://redspotgames.com (publishing company EXCLUSIVELY for homebrew DC games)
And most importantly: I do.
Soap360 wrote:the graphics don't look like they can match up to modern day PSP games.
Orly? And what if I were to tell you that the Dreamcast's GPU has four times the VRAM that the PSP has. What if I were to tell you that it can do effects in hardware that the PSP can't even do in software? Bumpmapping? What is your basis for making such a bold claim?
Soap360 wrote:And Jforce challenged you guys to who can sell the most copies, if Im not correct.
You do realize that you're forgetting the whole "we never accepted the challenge" part? Our goal with Elysian Shadows is not to show up a bunch of arrogant nobodies on Youtube (although we have every intention of doing so).
Soap360 wrote:How are you going to put up against an Indie game?
I don't think you know what the term "indie game" means. ;)
If you believe that a game exclusively for the Xbox360 has a better chance of selling than a game for the Dreamcast, PSP, Windows, OSX, Linux, and perhaps even platforms that we have yet to port it to... you might want to have a look at the market.
Soap360 wrote:Which is only clicks away from being bought, unlike a dreamcast or PSP game (excluding the psp go) which you have to go out and buy a copy in the store, which not only costs more then an Indie game, but it's much more of a stuggle. I dont get it..
As I said, if you had read one more word after the "2D RPG for Dreamcast, PSP, ..." you wouldn't have bothered.
Soap360 wrote:is this like your Big project which you hope to reel in all the cash to open more oppurtunities?
Yeah, bro. Everything that our team has collectively learned, experienced, and put into our project has been for fame, fortune, and fornication--not a passion for video games, game development, or our respective fields.
Soap360 wrote:Im just subscribed to you guys a few days ago and I'd just like to know what's your plan?
Sorry to sound like such a prick, but these particular criticisms always get to me.

1) People criticize us for SUPPORTING HARDWARE THAT THEY DON'T LIKE? We are STILL supporting tons of other shit. Just because you don't play Dreamcast still, have a modded PSP, or have the knowledge to port your engine to these platforms does NOT mean that you should be bitching about the fact that we can. I swear to god, I want to port ES to a Virtual Boy or Sega 32x every time I see some prick using XNA toss that argument out there.

2) People act like we don't have a plan. You found us on Youtube. You found our forums. You're posting here about a 2D RPG that you quite honestly know next to nothing about (we release shit tons about the back-end, but barely anything about the actual "game"). We have 3.7k subscribers on Youtube and tons of people who are waiting for our game to come out. I was just contacted by Halogen TV who would like to broadcast a portion of AiGD17 internationally.

ES is not about money, fame, fortune, or recognition. Just because we aren't flaunting some gigantic, master scheme like JForce does NOT mean that we don't have a plan. Look at what we have done. Obviously we do have a plan. The rabbit hole goes a lot deeper than you guys know.
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

If you watch the videos, it's fairly obvious, at least to me, that the ES team has waaay more up their sleeve than they are showing. But after Falco's post, I do have to wonder. Are there plans for an XBOX360 release of ES?
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

GyroVorbis wrote:The rabbit hole goes a lot deeper than you guys know.
And most of us can't fucking wait to see what's inside :mrgreen:
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

Ginto8 wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:The rabbit hole goes a lot deeper than you guys know.
And most of us can't fucking wait to see what's inside :mrgreen:
Tru dat :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
mattheweston
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Breakout clone, Unnamed 2D RPG
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, XBOX360
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by mattheweston »

amen brother!
Soap360
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Soap360 »

Sorry to sound like a dick abot everything like I might have... but what's your target price/goal upon release of the game. Specifically, how much cash would you need to start your next project or something? 8-)
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Soap360 wrote:Sorry to sound like a dick abot everything like I might have... but what's your target price/goal upon release of the game. Specifically, how much cash would you need to start your next project or something? 8-)
who said anything about needing cash? They started this one with only the money for all their energy drinks, and they already have jobs. this is just so they can make a fun game and have the extra benefit of MONEY! ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Goddamn Falco, now THAT is a professional reply to a most ignorant inquiry.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

Hey try contacting Sony and getting a license and SDK to program on the PS3 or at least PS2 and find a publisher and sell it for profit :lol:

Im serious though :cheers:
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

>.>

<.<

/me raises hand

/me stands up slowly and looks around the room....

Can we have a Virtual Boy port? I've been wanting to buy one just for shits and giggles and ES + 3D + migraines = fun? I think so. :D
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by davidthefat »

Trask wrote:>.>

<.<

/me raises hand

/me stands up slowly and looks around the room....

Can we have a Virtual Boy port? I've been wanting to buy one just for shits and giggles and ES + 3D + migraines = fun? I think so. :D
OR, a PS3 port with 3D of the 21st century (like the legit 3D TV stuff)

edit: For got the P
Last edited by davidthefat on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epicasian
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gigazilla Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, PS2, PC

Post by epicasian »

Hey guys, I'm still waiting for that VMU port! :lol: