Zombie Outrage 2 (ZO2 Updates)

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: BeatTapper
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++, C#

Zombie Outrage 2 (ZO2 Updates)

Post by TheAustech »

Sup guys, I'm gonna do this in one thread because doing two threads would be a pain and not necessary.

So I made 2 games, Beat Tapper and Zombie Outrage 2.

Beat Tapper is a DDR + Taiko clone. In short terms, it's a rhythm game. Here's some pictures:

You can actually get more info and even download it here: http://theaustech.net16.net/BeatTapper.htm

==================================================================

Zombie Outrage 2 is a Top Down shooter which is currently in a work in progress, but I'd still like to show it.

Here's some media:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLfv9gPc8M

And no, you're not getting my gun ;)

So what happen to Zombie Outrage 1? Well ZO1 was originally a Top Down test since I never made a top down shooter. So I thought the whole zombie theme would be fun. So you can actually get the first one here: http://theaustech.net16.net/ZombieOutrage.htm

I hope you like these projects. And if you're curious on what I'm doing, you can check out my YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAustech
Or possibly follow my twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAustech

Thanks for reading : )
Last edited by TheAustech on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Beat Tapper and Zombie Outrage 2

Post by dandymcgee »

Great post, lots of good screenshots. Will be watching out for Zombie Outrage updates.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I wants me some zombie outrage! :D
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by TheAustech »

eatcomics wrote:I wants me some zombie outrage! :D
Woo! Thanks :D
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by TheAustech »

I added a health bar for enemies , a kill counter, and made huge optimization improvements. The previous pictures were locked at 60 but without locks it maxed out at around 90. Now with this optimization I got about a 150+ fps increase. So even if your computer sucks you're set. :lol:

The point of the health bar was because I felt like a wasn't getting enough from hitting the zombies. I wanted something to happen while they were getting shot. So this health bar solves that problem a bit.
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Beat Tapper and Zombie Outrage 2 (ZO2 Updates)

Post by TheAustech »

So I've decided to dive into lighting effect. Who would play a zombie fighting game in the dark? These lights can be shined from an Entity. And the lights are ties to an entities position.

A World now has a color value for darkness, this can be set in the level editor's map properties, making it a lot easier to customize a level and adding lights. With this add-on, I now introduce a new layer property, the "lightrad" property. This allows the level designer to lay tiles that emit light ad a certain radius. But you don't want to read all this boring stuff. Let's get into some media!

Here you can see a dynamic light tile (a tile that moves with physics with a light attached to it) showing me where these devious little bastards are. You can also see the player emitting it's own light. I call it a flash light. Sucks that this idiot apparently holds the flash light straight down. :lol:

Here you can see multiple light tiles together. And the player.

And for those who want to see this in action, here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JS0lLnKAuY
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

TheAustech wrote:But you don't want to read all this boring stuff.
you're misjudging your audience. We do want to know how you did the lighting. Especially making it a circle. Everyone here knows what bitches circles can be.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by TheAustech »

Ginto8 wrote:
TheAustech wrote:But you don't want to read all this boring stuff.
you're misjudging your audience. We do want to know how you did the lighting. Especially making it a circle. Everyone here knows what bitches circles can be.
Ah shit, sorry. I just tend to babble on so I didn't want to bore people to death like I've done before. :lol:

As for the circles, it wasn't really that hard since I use SFML. It's really something like:

sf::Shape lightcirc = sf::Shape::Cirlcle(positionx, positiony, radius, color); :oops:
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

But how do you make it shine down through the layers? Like I would have done some insane calcs just to make the level display, then place black anti-circles to cover up the sections that can't be seen
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by TheAustech »

ibly31 wrote:But how do you make it shine down through the layers? Like I would have done some insane calcs just to make the level display, then place black anti-circles to cover up the sections that can't be seen
The way I'm going to describe it will probably make it sound like rocket science, but it's really not as hard as it may sound:

SFML has rendering targets. Rendering targets can have things drawn to them. Things like sprites, shapes, text, ect.

SFML also has different blend modes, blend modes affect what should happen when two or more pixels overlap. For example, if a sprite were to have the blend mode add, then if a yellow red sprite and a green sprite collided or overlapped, it would appear yellow. Red + Green = Yellow.

The blend mode to look for is the blend mode None. What this does is when 2 pixels overlap each other, the pixel will change it's color to it's overlapped. So here's what I did:

I have one Render Target that draws all the sprites, tiles, zombies, ect. Then I have a second layer that draws the lights. This second layer will also have a rectangle overtop of it that is dark. This will make it appear like it's night time or dark in the world. The lights that go to this layer will have the blend mode none. So the lights that overlap the darkness, will change the pixel to light.

Sorry if this is confusing, but the main thing to understand is how blend modes work and then you're pretty much set. ;)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Kind of confusing, but I get the gist. It would probably be easier if I used SFML... Honestly I would use SFML if I wasn't so OpenGL oriented as of late xD

None the less that is the coolest feature I've seen in a 2D game in a long time, although that poor guy can't figure out how to hold the flashlight for optimum viewing xD
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by TheAustech »

eatcomics wrote:Kind of confusing, but I get the gist. It would probably be easier if I used SFML... Honestly I would use SFML if I wasn't so OpenGL oriented as of late xD

None the less that is the coolest feature I've seen in a 2D game in a long time, although that poor guy can't figure out how to hold the flashlight for optimum viewing xD
Yeah, he better learn to shine it right or he might die xD
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Sweet! That video is awesome. It would be cool if you only did partial darkness instead of full black in the shadows, but hide the zombies so you still don't know where they are. Just an idea to get your creativity flowin'. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
TheAustech
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Zombie Outrage 2 (ZO2 Updates)

Post by TheAustech »

Although this was added Monday, I'm going to show it today because I had a lot of work to do with homework and school. But I'd like to introduce my new addition to Zombie Outrage 2:

Vehicles

Vehicles are obviously made for transportation, but to travel faster. And one of the goals I'm trying to achieve with Zombie Outrage 2, is an epic feel. To be able to explore a world. And with that in mind, I was aware that there would need to be things faster than just walking, and since I plan to have Zombie Outrage take place in a populated area that got infected, vehicles were in the mind. I was considering bikes though.

But obviously, with any action / fighting games, if you have a way of using cars, those cars better be used for something else than driving. If you catch my drift. But just in case you don't, I wanted to be able to run these little bastards over. How dare they take over the world!

Some minor updates added with vehicles:
  • You guys made a difference in my game. The viewers wanted the camera to center. I personally wouldn't have but you wanted it, and you got it!
    With added vehicles, this adds a new layer property
    Level Editor's Map property now can set the world's darkness. Woohoo!
Media:

YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-gWzUGnxXY

Pics:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Zombie Outrage 2 (ZO2 Updates)

Post by eatcomics »

I saw the vid before I saw this post, but let me just say again w00t you're awesome man, this game is sweet, keep up the awesome work, and I think we're all highly looking forward to a beta release :D