Null updates, info, and development.

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Today was a great day in history for DC Development (haha, for me actually). . .

Today, thanks to Tvspelsfreak, I fixed a stupid mistake I made that pretty much ruined the game.

After I was back on track, I went through and ported the rigorous work of MarauderIIC and me. That's right. The blood engine.

Lemme tell you, I'm so impressed. I knew we didn't work on it all for nothing. I also didn't think all of that dynamic allocation and crap would go too well on the Dreamcast. I'm both surprised and impressed with the results.

I was able to pull ~6,000 particles on screen. I could've pulled more, but I didn't see the need.

Realistically, the engine can do ~3,000 - 4,000 before framerate drops. It doesn't even slow down too much at 6,000.

It also has support for any size poly that you desire as well as any color of the rainbow.

On the note of the colors. There are a total of 7 combinations of colors that have the nice fading affects. Any other color is completely possible and will still look damn good, they just won't fade out.

So, here are some screenshots of the engine in action on the DC:

Tons of red bloodspray.

Transitioning from red to green particles.

Transitioning from green to blue particles.

Another interesting thing is the fact that you can actually see the particles affect the framerate. I can watch the green bar slowly start to creep down as I make more.

And also, don't judge anything by the images except for the number of particles it can do. It wasn't meant to be pretty by any means. It will look awesome when I'm done, those shots were just to show off what I've got so far.

The DC pulled more particles than every computer in my house except for mine and my dad's laptop (both Pentium 4s with well over 2 Ghz). I'm sure it can outdo that closet computer of JSL's any day... :guffaw:
Last edited by Falco Girgis on Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Fade any to black, make a ratio to subtract from each # so they all hit 0 at the same time.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

GyroVorbis wrote:The hell? Whoever said anything about no bosses or enemies. You'd dang well better believe this badass square will have foes to do battle with!

Null
The epic journey of one badass square.
This made me think that there would be no enemies.
Gyrovorbis wrote:So no, no characters/enemies/bosses whatsoever.
See?
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

spideyspiderman2000 wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:The hell? Whoever said anything about no bosses or enemies. You'd dang well better believe this badass square will have foes to do battle with!

Null
The epic journey of one badass square.
This made me think that there would be no enemies.
Gyrovorbis wrote:So no, no characters/enemies/bosses whatsoever.
See?
It's amazing how quickly people change their minds. Hell yeah there will be enemies. ^_^
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

Kool 8-)
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

I am the new 1337 beta test0r or
Gyrovprbis wrote:constructive bitcher
Last edited by Orgodemirk on Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
A glitch?
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

MarauderIIC wrote:Fade any to black, make a ratio to subtract from each # so they all hit 0 at the same time.
... did I miss something? What the heck are you talking about Mar?
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:
MarauderIIC wrote:Fade any to black, make a ratio to subtract from each # so they all hit 0 at the same time.
... did I miss something? What the heck are you talking about Mar?
Dude, you obviously missed more than something.
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

I missed something...

Well, I think the blood should be blue. After all, it's ablue rectangle.

hrrmm...

Wouldn't it be cool if you made a character select screen and had like blue rectangle, red rectangle, yellow circle, green triangle, lime green parallelogram, ect.
Last edited by Orgodemirk on Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A glitch?
Showdin
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Showdin »

Lol, yeah that would be cool. Well, I am posting here to say that I am now in on Null. I create levels and rip tiles. (And probably more once I get better).
You are better than me.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Maybe with the character select. I was planning on your color changing when you get certain abilities like Megaman. So if you're color is already going to be all newfangled, it kinda ruins that.

A parallelogram... HELL NO. What would be the point of that?

Post by Guest »

Isn't a rectangle a parallelagram? o_O
Orgodemirk
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Orgodemirk »

The parallelogram thing is just there to make it look proffesional.

maybe like just Rectangle Cirle and Triangle or something as one color and then they have different abilitys like ones faster or one jumps higher.

then they can change colors for een more cool stuff to happen.
A glitch?
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

And now you all see why 99.99% of what Hyper Shadow suggests doesn't even get considered. :roll:

Post by Guest »

I'm posting to tell everyone that I resign my position as Null Level Editor Creator. I should not have to make every tile Transparent that needs to go in null, the tile rippers should. But still, I would have, just provide me with the program and show me how. I'm being lazy for not wanting to download the program? Aight, I'm lazy. But I'd still have done it. I'm tired of having to do manure that is not my job. I'm going to go, take my editor, and make myself a blitz side scrolling game. Anyone with a version of a Null Level Editor, be happy, becuase that's the last NULL editor that'll be made from me. You can go and make JS Lemming do it, or make one yourself Gyrovorbis.

Oh, and MAKE YOUR OWN DAMN TILES TRANSPARENT!