Perl on DC.

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Perl on DC.

Post by Falco Girgis »

One of my new personal goals along with the completion of Null is to get Perl to work on the PC.

Imagine how many new possibilities will be available if the realm of Perl programmers can now code for DC?

I'm almost positive that it's possible. You'd either have to port the interpretter and run .PLs by loading via CD or sending with coder's cable.

Another alternative is to still use just a bit of C/++ and get it working. Even if you had to compile it with C and C++ you could still compile with the Perl interpretter and run Perl code through it.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

Sweet! This'll make the games awesome! I say go for it.

p.s. I'm taking the advice you and Arce gave me about how I should start with something easy. I downloaded a game programming program ( :lol: )
which is called "Squeak". It's a very simple programming thing, but it's still lots of progress. I made a game already where you play as South Park characters and race around a track. I'll post a link here as soon as I add detail and record voices for it. :mrgreen:
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
MetaFox
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by MetaFox »

Perl is a scripting language, so you could just assign C functions to their perl equivelents and set up KOS for whatever Dreamcast specific functions you need.

I'm doing a couple of projects like this myself, an Allegro wrapper, a WinCE wrapper, and a D language wrapper.

With perl, you'd just have to set up your wrapper to read .pl files and then run the needed C function from there.
Don Pwnious
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by Don Pwnious »

spideyspiderman2000 wrote: p.s. I'm taking the advice you and Arce gave me about how I should start with something easy. I downloaded a game programming program ( :lol: )
which is called "Squeak". It's a very simple programming thing, but it's still lots of progress. I made a game already where you play as South Park characters and race around a track. I'll post a link here as soon as I add detail and record voices for it. :mrgreen:
*cough* off topic *cough*
I shall continue what i think of it in PC dev.
1/8th time- 14secs
1/8th speed - 110mph