Null Level Editor (Beta Versionz0rz)

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Null Level Editor (Beta Versionz0rz)

Post by Falco Girgis »

Yeah, um... I believe that since the birth of TheChaosRift I haven't posted here even once regarding my own development. I've been too busy codin' for my baby, the Dreamcast.

Well here I am, and I've been forced to work on the PC. I'm working on a level editor that creates levels for Null. It's written in C++ with SDL. Once finished, it'll be available to download for free, so that anybody can make and/or freely distribute levels or even a full game using the Null engine.

Anyway, I started just the other day. I've been working on and off through spring break. I got lots of stuff done, but it's still got a looooong way to go. Especially if I ever want the editor to be user-friendly (that'll be a bitch).

Anyway, It now draws the level and lets you edit/place tiles. I need to make it load/save and it'll be basically functional. After that I'll have to add menus and all that fancy stuff so that any moron can use it.

Here's a screenshot. Oh, I was too lazy to cut out my desktop, so don't mind it:
Look, the level editor is smiling at you!

Anyway, questions, comments, complaints, and all that other crap can be posted here.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

Sweet! Looks good!
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Thanks, it's good to know that at least one person still visits the development forums.

:evil:
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Nice mouse. 8-)
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Hah, the ironic thing is that it's fake. Did you know that cursors are only black and white? Pretty gay, huh?

Then in SDL you have to make the cursor in binary and load it as hex. :watiff:

I actually used SDL_CursorDisable or whatever and drew that at the cursor's coordinates. So yeah, it's fake, but you'd never know. :twisted:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Alright, between guzzling Bawls and randomly busting out the Dance Mats for DDR and the Maracas for Samba De Amigo, I've actually slaved my ass off on the editor and got lots done.

I've had some troubles and have been stuck in a few places, but I'm glad to say that everything is going smooth now.

You can now pop the tile select menu and do some other stuff like left click to lay tiles and right click to copy a tile.

Here's some screenies for you:
I've layed some cheap test tiles.
Popped the sexy tile menu with it's alpha blending goodness.

Oh, I've also got specs as well.

Apparently the editor runs fine on all computers but one.

Arce's Pentium II running at 400mhz without alpha allowed by the video hardware had some slowdowns. The editor functioned perfectly, but it was slower due to the fact that SDL tries to emulate the alpha effects if the hardware doesn't support it.

Anyway, I'm sure that everybody's computer here will be adequate to run this baby.
spideyspiderman2000
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by spideyspiderman2000 »

Sweet.
South Park wrote:Mr Garrison: Okay class. Can anybody tell me what "Sexual Harrassment" is?

Cartman: Isn't that when you're having intercourse with a special lady friend, and some other guy comes up behind you and tickles your balls?
I HATE Jack Thompson!

Post by Guest »

It actually runs smooth on my computer IF it's in full screen mode. Otherwise, it is slow.

Seriously, the editor is l33+ do far. OMG the alpha blending makes it look great. The screen shots cannot begin to show its greatness!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Today all that I had time for was figuring out how to compile to a perl executable. It works really great and it's very useful. Those stupid DOS console programs are so much easier as perl scripts. You don't need C/++ efficiency or anything, it's not like it's a game.

Anyway, the tile adding wizard to the editor is a Perl EXE. It'll be so user-friendly though, so don't be hating on the black box. I might even decide to embed perl in the level editor even...
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Now as long as nobody posts a long sentence, I won't have any trouble w/ this topic ... :P
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.