Bomberman SDL

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

yesh... is kinda looks like TST bailed.

About bomberman... the only thing I worry about is AI. I mean, what exactly would you do? Make them move at random and towards you? But they would also need to know how to evade a blast. Any ideas for the AI?

PS, I haven't used SDL in decades. So I'm probably pretty rusty with it.
Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

JS Lemming wrote:yesh... is kinda looks like TST bailed.

About bomberman... the only thing I worry about is AI. I mean, what exactly would you do? Make them move at random and towards you? But they would also need to know how to evade a blast. Any ideas for the AI?

PS, I haven't used SDL in decades. So I'm probably pretty rusty with it.
Yeah, AI would be a bit tougher...

No worries, I hadn't used SDL ever except for that dumb little particle test. Man, all I did was bust out the SDL book and I worked miracles. See the custom title and icons and all that goodness on the editor? My book is a REALLY nice reference. It assumes you are a really good programmer already, but in return it shows you how to do things seriously fast.

I gotcha covered. I got all good with SDL overnight, lol.

Man, you and I could cook up a helluva bomberman easily. I'd first start off with the 4 player and then later on add AI. But that's just me.

Think about how cool bomberman would be with life guages and guns. You can't shoot through objects so the bombs don't become obsolete and bombs do tons more damage. Then you could get machine guns and pack heat as well as blow the dirty mugs away.

Sounds like fun to me. :spin:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Holy crap, I just thought of the wierdest little twists. Imagine a "steal the flag" bomberman. That'd be awesome.

Oh, just got another crazy awesome idea.

Pac Man and Bomberman are alot alike. Think about if we introduced not only Bomberman, but somehow worked Pac-Man in. Maybe Pac Man can have different abilities than Bomberman(s). Sounds really wierd, but I bet with a bit of thought we could come up with something nice there. C'mon, who could resist a mix between Bomberman and PacMan?
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

It would be koo if one of the power ups made it where you could call an air strike on one of your opponents. So they'd hear the jets getting closer and run like mad to escape the bomb raid.

The jets could just zoom from the right or something. Just a thought.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Ok Ok, maybe that wasn't such a good idea. Got a little carried away thats all. Man I'm bored and dreading skkooool tommowoorow.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Nah, it sounds really good. It'd add to the pure chaos. :mrgreen:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Okay, the recommended resolution for SDL if you want it running fullspeed on DC is 320x240. That's half of what we normally use (640x480), so if we make our map based on tiles we can have each tile be 16x16 and have it still the same 20x15 tiles.

Sounds good to me. I think this should start off as a PC project, then we can easily port it to DC.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Are you sure it will be full speed? I would cry if it were the least bit choppy. If not, we could always just cleverly write the code so that the drawing functions and what not are seperate from the actuall game. Any who...

Don't take this the wrong way... but I personally don't like pac-man, game play wise. But if we can think of koo ideas to go with it, it doesn't matter.

One thing I'm not so clear on. In bomberman, you have the standard grid thingy of solid tiles right? Well, how are the explodable tiles arranged? Randomly, symetricly, or just where ever we put them?

And because I'vent played it in forever... when you lay a bomb, it goes right under you correct? Not in front of where you are standing.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Unless I can think of a sweet way for us to incorporate Pac-Man, it would be kinda stupid.

Yeah, Bomberman lays the bombs under him so that he has freedom to walk off in any direction.

As for the grid/level. It all depends. Traditional and old-school Bomberman games had every other tile solid. But then the exploadable tiles were semi-random.

I personally prefer the more interesting Bomberman games from the Genesis era up to Bomberman Online for Dreamcast. There were special tiles like grass that slowed you down, water that splashed and had different affects on your movement and bombs couldn't hurt you in it, tiles that you can fall through, and just all sorts of things to make gameplay more fun.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll run at fullspeed on DC. 640x480 is actually feasible provided that you aren't doing too much with SDL. I really don't wanna have that high of resolution. Think about it, we want this game to be like a regular blowout fest with firepower, guns, and explosions. Slow downs could really hurt gameplay. Also, we don't need 32x32 tiles anyway. I think we'll be able to get enough detail into 16x16. :mrgreen:

Another thing that I was thinking. I know you've probably never played Wario Blast, but that game was a classic on the original gameboy. It was Bomberman, but it also had Wario introduced. Wario is also a bomb-toting fiend as well. It might be pretty sweet to take the wario sprites from the gameboy game then recolor them and add him to this.

I like Wario better than Bomberman anyday (I <3 Bomberman as well though).
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Any ideas for graphics?

Oh, you know what else would be really cool? If some of the arenas were old-skool NES themed. Imagine battling among tiles from Zelda, Mario Bros., and MegaMan.

That would definately catch people's attention...

Post by Guest »

Are you going to start before or after the chainsaw game and null?

Anyway, everything you said is a great idea. About the air raid, that's great idea. Maybe you could make a big crossheir or something that takes up like 8 square tiles that explodes everything there?

Or, did you mean more like some UFO thing dropping bombs all around a player? That'd be awesome!

Zelda tiles? HELLZ YEAH! Make the rock things blow-up able!

The whole idea is great. I wanted to make one myself, but I decided to stop blitz. You know the story.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I think there is a problem with a 20x15 grid. There will be 2 solid tiled columbs in a row. A solution would be to add another columb (sp?) and scoot the whole map 8 pixels to the left. I'll probably make a image demonstration when I get the chance. Just in case I'm not making any since.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Yeah, I know what you're saying. Sounds good.

Post by Guest »

I had that same problem when I was making it in blitz. Well, atleast I did until I figured out that bomberman scrools. But that'd make multi-player not work, huh? :|
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Any multiplayer, non-gameboy Bomberman doesn't scroll. Look at Bomberman online for DC, that's the most sophisticated Bomberman to date. No scrolling.