I drew a cute baby (a long time ago)

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

I drew a cute baby (a long time ago)

Post by JS Lemming »

I thought I'd post it because I always get a chuckle from people I show it to. Unfortunately this was an english assignment and I no longer have the original because she kept it. But I did manage to snap a cell phone pic of it so it's all low res and blurry but you get the idea.

Small girl at the harbor wrote:Look Brandon, that crab's got ham!
Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Karkash »

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

How original. Not.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Urrr.. actually, it wasn't meant to be original. Our english assignment was to find a picture and recreate it with a figure of langauge (visually). I made the burger crazy tall for hyperbole. I guess I'm gonna have to write a disclaimer every time I post a drawing stating every god forsaken detail. Chill and enjoy fellas.
Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Karkash »

Just give credit where credit is due.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

I don't think credit is due there. If I were drawing a cow and I based it on a picture of a cow... would I credit that picture? If you say the answer to that is yes, then what if I were basing it on a real cow standing in front of me... what then?
Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Karkash »

Yes, you would credit the picture. Someone had to take the picture, thus it belongs to them. At the least, you would say, "I drew this from a photo." Drawing a living cow is different because it's moving around and you're not really capturing it at any specific moment most likely. It's usually not just sitting there letting you draw it exactly as it is. Plus you can't own a moment of a cow's movement without taking a picture. But, even if I did draw a living cow, I would say, "I drew this from life, not from my own head." It makes a difference.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

WTF? That logic is flawed. You're telling me if the cow is walking around then no credit is needed but if it's just standing there high off it's own methane that then I have to give credit? No. Trust me, real artists don't go around saying "I drew this from real life! Not my head!"

Besides, what is your "head" but a vast collection of memories from real life?
Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Karkash »

When you give credit when you draw from a photo you are giving credit to the photographer. There is no one to give credit to if you draw from life. But not mentioning that you drew from life can give people the impression that you have a skill that you don't actually have. Also, there is a huge difference between drawing from life and from your own head. Many people can look at something in a photo or in life and draw it very well but if they try to recreate something that they can only see in their head they have problems. Memory is not perfect. If you are currently seeing it, it is perfect. Unless you are using photo or life purely for reference (looking at pictures or life just to know what a cow looks like, not drawing that actual cow) then you need to give credit. It's the difference between being a human photocopier and actually being creative.

"Real artists?" I'm in art college. I am training to be a "real" artist. I'm surrounded by "real" artists. The terms "Still LIFE" and "LIFE Drawing" are proof enough that you're wrong in your assumptions.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

JS Lemming wrote:WTF? That logic is flawed. You're telling me if the cow is walking around then no credit is needed but if it's just standing there high off it's own methane that then I have to give credit? No. Trust me, real artists don't go around saying "I drew this from real life! Not my head!"

Besides, what is your "head" but a vast collection of memories from real life?
Wow you finally swam to the deep end of the dumbass pool. Grats.

You need to credit any art if you copy it, even if it's not a perfect copy. If you take inspiration from it it's still nice to give credit. Seeing as how Karkash is indeed going to SCAD, one of the best art and design colleges in the country, I'd take what she says anyday over what you say.
There is no signature.
Arce

Post by Arce »

I no longer have the original because she kept it.
^ Implies you were the original author of the image. You're not, someone took the photo. Yes, nice remake, but you (intentionally?) gave us the impression that you whipped a nice deep portrait out of your brain and made it for an English project. This is not the case. And yes, recapturing a still image is MUCH less impressive than sheer imagination compelling you to draw an obese child caught in the act of gluttony.

If you'd given us the details of the assignment in the original post, or even a link to the picture, that would be more than credit enough, and we'd all be like, "Wow, that's deep;" however, that wasn't the case and now you're making an ass of yourself.

And yeah, I'm going with the experts at SCAD.
JS Lemming
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by JS Lemming »

Okay. So if I apologize, will you guys accept it? I somehow doubt it. Honestly I wasn't trying to pull a fast one over anyone... I just posted a fucking drawing I did.
Karkash
ES Graphics Artist
ES Graphics Artist

Post by Karkash »

I do believe that you meant no harm. I merely felt the need to post your reference since you neglected to.
Arce

Post by Arce »

Lmao! Yeah dude, I actually liked it! xD

Not just saying that, btw, it's a million times better tahn I could ever draw--I just like being an ass, I'm like that to everyone. Don't take it personally.
:cheers: