ok im gonna learn C/++

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

ok im gonna learn C/++

Post by eatcomics »

hey yah im a noob in eigth grade and im trying to start making videogames and learning programming but my crappy highschool has
no programming classes what do you guys suggest i do till i can take that summer game making class?
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Buy some C or C++ books. Read. Learn.
There is no signature.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

You can start in the "General tutorials" section -- specifically, the about.com C++ stuff -- in the "Guides & Resources" sticky in this forum. Decent place to start, anyways. (http://thechaosrift.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148 )
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

thanx yeah im gonna buy sams teach yourself c++ in 24 hours or whatever i was gonna get it on ebay then i decided to check the boookstore in stead but they didnt have anything :( so i guess ill just go back to ebay
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Books a Million likely will have it, and I believe they have the ability to order books for you if they don't.

However, it's probably over 50$ there. Just a warning. =P
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

oh i have my sources amazon st. louis book stores oh yah i have connections
WinterChill
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by WinterChill »

No need for buying anything. Everything i've learned is from the net itself. You'll find plenty of valueable tutorials on search engines like Google. Even if you're looking to go advanced, still.
TheLordBJ is possibly the gayest retard to ever insult The Chaos Rift.

Asshole =D
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Well I tried that but seeing as how I am using my parents pc at the moment,and my stepdad is going to college, i don't have as much time on here as i need for that.
Now books on the other hand i have 24 hour acess to. After reading I can spend my time, practising my coding and not researching it
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by guyofcomics »

Hey, I'm going to learn C++ as well and start making games. And to the eighth grader (sorry I forgot your username) I have heard of Flora. OMG, so funny. I live like a half hour away, I'm a freshman. I can't believe you actually live near here, so wierd
Go Bears!
WinterChill
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by WinterChill »

guyofcomics wrote:Hey, I'm going to learn C++ as well and start making games. And to the eighth grader (sorry I forgot your username) I have heard of Flora. OMG, so funny. I live like a half hour away, I'm a freshman. I can't believe you actually live near here, so wierd
Lol .. dont hijack his thread please.

Asshole =D
ansatsusha_gouki
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ansatsusha_gouki »

sum of yall actin like its gonna take yall a few months to make a game when its unrealistic
WinterChill
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by WinterChill »

ansatsusha_gouki wrote:sum of yall actin like its gonna take yall a few months to make a game when its unrealistic
Well, telling by your intelligent vocabluary I can assume you've made a game yourself.

Asshole =D
ansatsusha_gouki
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by ansatsusha_gouki »

WinterChill wrote:
ansatsusha_gouki wrote:sum of yall actin like its gonna take yall a few months to make a game when its unrealistic
Well, telling by your intelligent vocabluary I can assume you've made a game yourself.

i just completed my first game and planning my second one now....i dont have no problem someone wanting to learn c++ my problem is when someone says they wanna do game programming and think they will make a game right off the bat...its takes very hard work to understand a programming language.....you gotta read alot of books, read forums, and research on the internet to understand what programming is about...i see alot of new programmers on youtube and forums saying they wanna do programming and dont understand its really hard work...ive been programming for 2 yrs now and i still havent grasp pointers and arrays but anyways i wasnt dissing the guy cuz im glad he want to do some game programming or etc but dont expect to make a game within a few months either.
marmalade
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by marmalade »

It's possible for him to make a game in a few months. It might lag, it might suck, it might not work at all, but it's possible. Then again, who am I to talk? :guffaw:
Arce

Post by Arce »

It's possible to make a game in a day.

Depends on the game, the language, what you put into it, how hard you work, how fast you can go, what type of game, etc.

You guys heard of The Game challenge where you create a collection of experimental gameplay games, and cannot spend more than X hours on each game (I think like 48 hours or something...)? I'm sure there was a topic about it somewhere here...
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt