Taking my DMV test today...

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Taking my DMV test today...

Post by XianForce »

I'm finally taking my DMV written test today...I'm gonna fail so hard xD...anyways, to those of you who have taken it:

What was it like when you took it?
Any advice you'd like to give me?

Thanks,

-Xian
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Taking my DMV test today...

Post by Falco Girgis »

Two women riding with me. Both of them must have been menstruating, because I was failed for "not stopping long enough," and they even told me that I couldn't come back and take it again for another month.

I remember that as probably one of the most angry times in my entire life. I had waited so long to get my license (I was younger than everybody else in my grade), and now I had a month longer. I went out back and punched holes into the fence. :(
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

I still don't have it.. Don't need it.. When something is close I use bike or bus, when far, train..

Reasons:
- Car: expensive, you have to worry about everything (gas, traffic, register plates, insurance, documents, your state when driving :] , police on money hunt, parking space - which is big issue in my town btw, etc...)
- Public transport is being more and more supported. Basically, all the places I need to go are connected
sparda
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by sparda »

Man, wow.

I had a car back when I was 20 (it was super cheap), but it was too expensive to maintain.
Plus, I was fucked up the butt-hole in terms of insurance because of my age and the color of the car, etc

I sold it, and have lived without it ever since. I use public transportation, or roller-blade anywhere I need to
go, since I live in a city it's fine.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

XianForce wrote:I'm finally taking my DMV written test today...I'm gonna fail so hard xD...anyways, to those of you who have taken it:

What was it like when you took it?
Any advice you'd like to give me?

Thanks,

-Xian
Hope you studied the manual. Even if you did, too bad, a lot of the questions won't have come from the manual. For instance, I had one [that I got right]: "How far ahead of your turn should you have your blinker on?" I don't remember the answer but take a thought as to how quickly you come up on a turn and think more in terms of time rather than distance... I'm thinking like 50-100 yards? Also, I missed the maximum number possible to still pass.

So read the manual and hope your critical thinking skills are up to par. My test wasn't about driving, it was about test taking skills, like most tests. :) In short, did the test make me a better driver? No, but this doesn't mean I'm a bad one =p And I hope you took driver's ed so you got a road test waiver so you don't wind up in Gyro's position.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

In New Hampshire even if you take Driver's Ed you don't get road test waiver :P. I had to take it anyways. I did absolutely terrible (don't wanna go into details) and still passed. As for the written exam it was SOOO much easier than my 100 questions + short answer Driver's Ed final.

Biggest thing about the road test: Do Not Act Nervous. Even if you screw up, do your best to fix it, and keep on going (EXCEPTION: Apparently "Striking a Pedestrian" is immediate failure.. not sure who made up that stupid rule).
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

dandymcgee wrote:In New Hampshire even if you take Driver's Ed you don't get road test waiver :P. I had to take it anyways. I did absolutely terrible (don't wanna go into details) and still passed. As for the written exam it was SOOO much easier than my 100 questions + short answer Driver's Ed final.

Biggest thing about the road test: Do Not Act Nervous. Even if you screw up, do your best to fix it, and keep on going (EXCEPTION: Apparently "Striking a Pedestrian" is immediate failure.. not sure who made up that stupid rule).

Lol! Probably shouldn't of hit the instructor on the way out, then!
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

I took it about 9 months ago.

The written part in Alabama you take when you're 15 to obtain a 'permit'. Then, when you turn 16, you can take the road test.

For the written part, I heard such mixed stories. People from my school had failed 5, 6, and 7 times. It was 5 dollars a test, and you could retake it the same day...So people advised me to bring lots of extra cash, or don't bother. I studied the manual for a while, and scheduled a time to go in and take it (they stopped doing walk-in testing). The nearest opening was a month later...So naturally in that I time I forgot everything in the book and barely looked over it since. ;P

On the day of the test, I took some online practice stuffs. Probably most helpful thing I did to prepare.

When I got there, I had questions like this:
1) You are driving, and it begins to rain. Do you:

A) call an ambulence
B) turn on your headlights and wipers
C) Try hydroplaning

2) What does the below sign mean? <one way>
A) Reduce speed ahead
B) No parking
C) One way
And yes, those were actually the questions, with only 3 choices each. I'd never forget. ;P

The exam turned off ~question 22 of 30 because if I'd have missed the rest, I'd still pass. And I specifically remember a chunky black dude next to me failing...haha. Though I doubt you'll get that lucky. ;P

The driving part, I also got lucky on. To be honest, my driving was shit due to nervousness. Some Asian lady, new to the job, was instructing me. She gave me a "turn right here" and I began to turn into a "one way, DO NOT ENTER" road. Also, after demonstrating backing up along the curve, she told me to pull ahead to a certain street. I pushed the gas, still in reverse.

She still passed me, with a 97. She says "You're a great driver, better than most we get. I just docked you a few points for awareness. And one because you didn't check your rear view mirror before backing up that time."
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

LOL. They gave me the wrong test, and the guy was having a crappy day I guess...and he was all pissed off...He said screw it, I don't want another one of your kind to come back here...here's your permit xD!!!!
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

HA! Excellent!
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

I don't want another one of your kind to come back here
Wow that sounded really racist :shock: haha, I hope he meant that in a good way.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

dandymcgee wrote:
I don't want another one of your kind to come back here
Wow that sounded really racist :shock: haha, I hope he meant that in a good way.

Well all of the people at the DMV are shitheads, all of them have that facial expression, "What the hell am I doing with my life? Why do I still live with my parents? Why am I helping these bitches?"
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

Lol, the guy that did my test was really nice about it IMO. He was stern when he was correcting my mistakes, yet in a friendly way. But I certainly know what you mean, the majority of them are *insert your post here*.