Hello

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Jokeboxproductions
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Hello

Post by Jokeboxproductions »

Wondering how I'm going to keep back on the noob level.
Lets start with formalities, My name is Jokeboxproductions(Obviously not my real name)
I've been interested with the art of game programming every sense I played my first Gamecude game
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. Never reallly got to a good start with it do, but I had a old sams book
called Beginning game programming. Didn't really teach C++ just told you how to build a engine in C++
language.

I'm about to get some good books I research on.
Heres the list tell me what you think.

Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 days

Focus on SDL

Beginning C++ game programming

and when I get a 100bones Problem solving in C++

So hope to here more from me

Later,

-Jokeboxproductions
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: Hello

Post by RyanPridgeon »

Stick with one book at a time. I guess a C++ beginner book, then a good SDL book would be good in that order..

I think most of us here learnt most of what we know from the net.

I don't have money for books like that, so I'm really thankful for the internet, yknow...

I guess the most helpful thing for me (after I'd learnt C++ well) was www.lazyfoo.net and his SDL tutorials- he really explains things well.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Jokeboxproductions wrote: Never reallly got to a good start with it do, but I had a old sams book
called Beginning game programming. Didn't really teach C++ just told you how to build a engine in C++
language.
Scary!, I got the 2002 edition of that book(because i'm an old timer :P), but it used to just be called 'sams teach yourself game programming', from what I remembered, it assumed you knew C++, and that you'd be able to program using the Win32 API.

we both got screwed lol (well, actually I refer to it from time to time, when i'm in the mood for some self-flagelation by trying to learn the win32 API :P )

my personal references are "sams teach yourself C++ in 24 by Jesse Liberty" and "c++ programming in easy steps by Mike Mcgrath"

I would definately recommend you get down some key programming concepts before you try and make a game. One thing that can be good, is applying what you've learnt to making a very simple game, for example, I made a little 'Battleships' type game out of a console application ( this was in 2006), after learning some new techniques, and I advanced from there.

also, if you really want people to say hi, there is a section in this set of forums, that contains a post, specifically for introducing yourself, you might want to post this there instead.

also, welcome to the forum, i'm quite new myself.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Jokeboxproductions
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Jokeboxproductions »

programmerinprogress wrote:
Jokeboxproductions wrote: Never reallly got to a good start with it do, but I had a old sams book
language.
Scary!, I got the 2002 edition of that book(because i'm an old timer :P), but it used to just be called 'sams teach yourself game programming', from what I remembered, it assumed you knew C++, and that you'd be able to program using the Win32 API.

we both got screwed lol (well, actually I refer to it from time to time, when i'm in the mood for some self-flagelation by trying to learn the win32 API :P )

my personal references are "sams teach yourself C++ in 24 by Jesse Liberty" and "c++ programming in easy steps by Mike Mcgrath"
Ya I got screwed big time, I'll check out Jesse Liberty and Mikes books I'll save the SDL for the big project.
KuramaYoko10
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by KuramaYoko10 »

Hi there,

I am just a newbie in programming but a book I can recommend you xD ...

I started programming (1 year ago), kinda lost, on internet then I found this book which is awesome... I have got some on the library but none of them could beat this one...
it is a "Sams teach yourself" book called - "Sams teach yourself C in 21 days" ... it teaches all the basics and intermediates of C, very well explained, with good examples, a cd for support with the files and programs, and at the end of the "21 days" you have 7 bonus days, showing you the basics of C++ OO, C#, and Java.

it is very complete and I recommend it... it might be kinda expensive, but for me it was a good investment.

Hope I helped!
Type a message here!!
[b][color=#BF0000]MarauderIIC[/color][/b] wrote:"Never" is never true in programming.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Doh! in a home voice.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"