Gaming just not the same

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Gaming just not the same

Post by avansc »

oh, and jazz jack rabit was amazing aswell
and Oddworld Abe's Odyssey had some of the best animations around. man i miss old games now.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

avansc wrote:- wacky wheels , apogee made some of the best games around.
Ha, there was what I assume was a bug in the demo of that that I had so long ago. If you let it go to demo mode (I think?), anyway, somehow the game would show show a track that you couldn't normally play in the demo. If you went to play after that, you could play that track, but then the game would crash :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Jokeboxproductions
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Jokeboxproductions »

DJ Yoshi wrote:
Hahaha. Wow. You complain about how game devs focus on graphics and then put Halo in your list? It's obvious the second two halos were marketing ploys, and totally uninspired. The insane development costs were from marketing and graphics production, not from bungie needing more developers to flesh out the game (seeing as how the second and third one had basically the same gameplay).
Whats wrong with Halo......*Sad face*
ansatsusha_gouki wrote:i like the old school 2D games.....alot of younger gamers dont appreciate how graphics was irrelevant back in the day and it was all about the gameplay.im not saying there arent games that have good gameplay but it is alot more complex than it used to be.
Thats what I'm talking about! :)
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

It was nice that Halo2/3 allowed for split-screen play online. Hardly anyone that's any good does that anymore (Gears does, though). For instance, I wish Bad Company or CoD did it. Makes it hard to play with someone you live with.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Back in the late 90's, I was a game-o-holic!

Games just used to have a way of captivating me, and I spent whole days playing games, it was addiction, but a good one 8-)

Now, i'm very critical and sometimes a little cynical about new games, I rarely anticipate releases like most people in my computing class, and sometimes I think to myself "what has happened to me?"

The only thing I can think of is that I have a programmer's mentality now, as opposed to the mentality of a consumer/ gamer, it's not a bad thing, all I know is I get my buzz from making good programs that work, as opposed to waiting for the next release and playing the next big game.

I think i've just grown up, but thats not to say that adults can't enjoy games, I still enjoy my older games, and there are a few new games which really entertain me still :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
villeballa89
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by villeballa89 »

heh, I remember when Sonic 3D looked realistic to me. Looking at alot of old games, its amazing how much our imaginations filled in the games for us. Mario 64 was the realest graphics I had seen ever. Ahh, the classics truly were great, but I think its more the memory than the game itself. I mean, I played sonic spinball for hours and now that I think about it, I can't really remember a story arc to it.
Jokeboxproductions
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Jokeboxproductions »

There a couple I want to add to my list

the
Street fighter series
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Snk
king of fighter
All the fighting games
(Accept Mortal combat)
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

avansc wrote:how many of you know a game called abuse, that a good game
I just went to check it out.. Looks interesting. The ending is kinda lame, tho..

"Congratulations! You're howling!" xD
avansc wrote:oh, and jazz jack rabit was amazing aswell
Aaa.. I remember liking the music in that one :] It was fun.

Does anyone know "Heart of darkness" ..? Those were some really neat animations. And you could die in terrible ways.
mllarson
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Location: Minnesota, where "Cold as Hell" has real meaning...

Post by mllarson »

I mostly agree that games are going downhill. I remember being a wee lad and playing Q*bert on my Atari. There is nothing more challenging than that game on a black and white TV! Then came my NES and Super Mario. Graphics sucked on that game but it was still fun. Ditto for The Legend of Zelda. On the flip side though, some games do benefit from the hardware advances. Take for example Castlevania SOTN. The game was still 2D and sidescrolling, but had fluid animation, huge environments, and a very good soundtrack. I honestly believe that it comes down to the people who make the game. If you have a visionary heading up the game development then you are pretty much guaranteed a great game. When game makers see dollar signs in their eyes is when things start to go downhill...

-Matt
"Mmmm... these paint chips are scrumptious!"
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

avansc wrote:apogee made some of the best games around.
Speaking of Apogee - has anyone else played Boppin? That game was awesome.

It was basically a platformer / puzzle game with suicidal main characters. If you lost, one of the characters would pull out a knife and stab themselves, and the other would pull out a gun and blow his head off.

And, the game itself was actually really good.

http://jenniverse.com/boppin%20main.html
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Yes, I've played that, but I never could remember the name! :D