How can I learn math online?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

How can I learn math online?

Post by unholysavagery »

Well I can program like a beast since I started when I was 7. I was home schooled and since my mother never actually made me do anything, I had a plenty of time to do what I wanted to do and then I was happy about it but now I'm 20, I lack basic skills like math and hand writing. I hate my mother now for not teaching me these things... I'm not in college mainly because I know I can't do it without these skills. I don't have enough money for books and I don't have a car to even go to the library so I've been looking for information online but I don't understand any of the stuff because it expects you to already have a basic understanding of what they are talking about and what all the symbols mean.

So how can I learn things like Arithmetic, Algebra, and Geometry from beginner level to expert online?
This is the internet, men are men, women are men and children are the FBI.
Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: How can I learn math online?

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

The best way to go would be adult education. But if you don't have money for books, I doubt you have money for that. Then the second best way would to teach yourself using books. Now, I realize you said you didn't have enough money but you can pick up used books pretty cheap if you look hard enough, usually. Last resort would to find some basic math e-books using torrents.

I know you are looking for online information but there is very little well written free material. That's because its free, so if someone could teach it well they would write a book and not a free online website. So, as I said e-books.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Could you give a few examples of how basic your skills are? If you're a decent programmer you obviously have some math skills, but what sorts of things do you need help understanding?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

dandymcgee wrote:Could you give a few examples of how basic your skills are? If you're a decent programmer you obviously have some math skills, but what sorts of things do you need help understanding?
I understand programing and all the math that comes with it but I don't understand most of the symbols in algebra and what they are talking about most of the time...
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

Kcirtap1990 wrote:The best way to go would be adult education. But if you don't have money for books, I doubt you have money for that. Then the second best way would to teach yourself using books. Now, I realize you said you didn't have enough money but you can pick up used books pretty cheap if you look hard enough, usually. Last resort would to find some basic math e-books using torrents.

I know you are looking for online information but there is very little well written free material. That's because its free, so if someone could teach it well they would write a book and not a free online website. So, as I said e-books.
e-books are a good idea!
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

unholysavagery wrote:Well I can program like a beast since I started when I was 7. I was home schooled and since my mother never actually made me do anything, I had a plenty of time to do what I wanted to do and then I was happy about it but now I'm 20, I lack basic skills like math and hand writing. I hate my mother now for not teaching me these things... I'm not in college mainly because I know I can't do it without these skills. I don't have enough money for books and I don't have a car to even go to the library so I've been looking for information online but I don't understand any of the stuff because it expects you to already have a basic understanding of what they are talking about and what all the symbols mean.

So how can I learn things like Arithmetic, Algebra, and Geometry from beginner level to expert online?

hey mate. man im sorry and hope you overcome your adversity.
just to let you know. i went to a very decent university. and half the nimrods there could not do anything. im sure you will so fine if you apply yourself.
do you mind if i ask what you do? i mean you said you were 20 and you have no car. so what do you do during the day? do you work?
id suggest going to a library. if there is a major univirsity close by i sugest you go and sit in on math classes. its not like they will know you are not suppose to be there. i bet if you sit in for calc one and take notes ou will be able to do it fine. most colleges also have pre calc and stuff like that.
a library will also be good.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

can you find the value of X.

5X - 6 = X^2 + 5

and

can you solve for X and Y

X + 4 = Y
Y + X = 6

do you know sin cos and tan?
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

avansc wrote:can you find the value of X.

5X - 6 = X^2 + 5
I don't understand what it means when you put X right beside 5?
avansc wrote: can you solve for X and Y

X + 4 = Y
Y + X = 6
X=1 and Y=5
avansc wrote:can you find the value of X.
do you know sin cos and tan?
If your asking if I know what they do then yes but if your asking if I know how they do what they do then no.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

5X is same as 5*X

well very few people know how sin cos and tan works. (its a sumation of a binomial series from 0 to infinity)
but i meant that if i give you a right triangle with 1 side and a angle, could you find the other angle and other 2 sides?
like do you know that if you add the angles of a triangle they allways equal 180 degrees.
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

avansc wrote:5X is same as 5*X

well very few people know how sin cos and tan works. (its a sumation of a binomial series from 0 to infinity)
but i meant that if i give you a right triangle with 1 side and a angle, could you find the other angle and other 2 sides?
like do you know that if you add the angles of a triangle they allways equal 180 degrees.
So you mean 2 vectors representing one side and an angle in PI but where is the base of this angle? Not sure I understand?

Also anything like 8la in algebra would be like 8 * la? Not 8 / la and la does not have any meaning right?
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

unholysavagery wrote:

So you mean 2 vectors representing one side and an angle in PI but where is the base of this angle? Not sure I understand?

Also anything like 8la in algebra would be like 8 * la? Not 8 / la and la does not have any meaning right?

like if i gave you a and the angle could you get b.

in algebra you have variables. X, Y what ever. they just represent a value, that can change.
and number next to them, usually preceding them, is just a scalar value that makes them bigger or smaller.

0.5X is the same as X/2, its called the reciprical rule.

X or like you said la has a meaning , its a variable. it can change.

like for example. if you know your speed is 100 miles per hour. and you have a variable t that is measured in hours.

you can have an equation for distance travled f(t) = 100*t or 100t

f(anything) is just a function.
unholysavagery
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by unholysavagery »

avansc wrote:
unholysavagery wrote:

like if i gave you a and the angle could you get b.

in algebra you have variables. X, Y what ever. they just represent a value, that can change.
and number next to them, usually preceding them, is just a scalar value that makes them bigger or smaller.

0.5X is the same as X/2, its called the reciprical rule.

X or like you said la has a meaning , its a variable. it can change.

like for example. if you know your speed is 100 miles per hour. and you have a variable t that is measured in hours.

you can have an equation for distance travled f(t) = 100*t or 100t

f(anything) is just a function.
I was meaning do the lattes that you use have any special meaning? Or are they just values like a value in C++?
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

they are jsut variables. X, Y, a b c all the same.

4X + 4 = 10
is the smae equation as
4Z + 4 = 10
Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

avansc wrote:they are jsut variables. X, Y, a b c all the same.

4X + 4 = 10
is the smae equation as
4Z + 4 = 10
I really don't think your going to be able to teach him this. Math isn't just something you can ask questions about on a forum, get answers, and get good at. You can ask questions about the parts you don't understand, but not to learn it all. My advice, get an e-book, if you get stuck I'm sure most of us could help you out there.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Kcirtap1990 wrote:
avansc wrote:they are jsut variables. X, Y, a b c all the same.

4X + 4 = 10
is the smae equation as
4Z + 4 = 10
I really don't think your going to be able to teach him this. Math isn't just something you can ask questions about on a forum, get answers, and get good at. You can ask questions about the parts you don't understand, but not to learn it all. My advice, get an e-book, if you get stuck I'm sure most of us could help you out there.
i think he has some of the basics down. i mean you have to know a little bit about algebra to solve for 2 variables.
but yeah, i agree, he needs a book. REA has some great books. this one will be a good source.
http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Trigonome ... 0878915087
they are nice because they give complete solutions, not just answers. talks through the steps. just great books. i have the old on
id be willing to ship it to you if you paid shipping, i dont use it anymore.