Programming Terms

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Programming Terms

Post by avansc »

trufun202 wrote:I actually learned SNAFU and FUBAR in 9th grade english class.

They spelled it out as f*****, but I still can't believe that was part of the curriculum.

haha, yeah the good old days when there was no such crap as politically correct and all that pancy jazz
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

On that politically correct subject, when I had my IQ test in first grade, part of it was speed identification of pictures. Two of those pictures were 'knife' and 'gun' (she was looking for rifle, actually). And I recall making a comment at the time that that wasn't very politically correct.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

MarauderIIC wrote:On that politically correct subject, when I had my IQ test in first grade, part of it was speed identification of pictures. Two of those pictures were 'knife' and 'gun' (she was looking for rifle, actually). And I recall making a comment at the time that that wasn't very politically correct.
i grew up in south africa,(political correctness did not exsist) had fights in school and didnt get expelled, shit once a teacher and me duked it out in 11th grade and nothing happened. i remember there was "corparal punishment" meaning if you didnt do your homework you would get hit by a stick. i remember one time i was flirting with these girls when the teacher left the class, then when he came back he hot his 2x4 and said bend over, so i was a little cheecky and replied, "id rather take a beating", never the less he gave me that beating. and you know what, i was fine with it, id rather take a beating any day than having cops involved or going to the principals office. also remember once they had to send me back home, cause i had a handle of vodka before class started. hahahaha.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Huh...

I guess I forgot to define my terms. ;P
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Arce wrote:Huh...

I guess I forgot to define my terms. ;P
epic lulz
Kcirtap1990
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

Alright, I have no idea what the term for this is but I remember reading about it somewhere. I searched around google and wikipedia for a while with no luck, and its bugging the shit out of me. So, a source port is taking one program, and compiling it on a different operating system than it was originally programmed for. Pretty basic stuff. But what is it called when you take a program, and attempt to rewrite the source code in a completely different language. I know its not a very common thing to do (at least in my experience) but a friend of mine and I were talking and this came up and just not knowing the term for it is annoying me to say the least. Anyone know the term?
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Kcirtap1990 wrote: Anyone know the term?
Well you got me.. Google turns up no results. We need a programming thesaurus.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

C++ thesaurus??? We need to start preparing for the zombie apocolypse!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics wrote:C++ thesaurus??? We need to start preparing for the zombie apocolypse!
Whoa calm down dude.. it's only a game.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

You know something is wrong if you can't find it on google :lol:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

eatcomics wrote:You know something is wrong if you can't find it on google :lol:
The query.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

eatcomics wrote:You know something is wrong if you can't find it on google :lol:

Like whoever said it is smoking crack? :lol:
LuciDreamTheater
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by LuciDreamTheater »

Kcirtap1990 wrote:Alright, I have no idea what the term for this is but I remember reading about it somewhere. I searched around google and wikipedia for a while with no luck, and its bugging the shit out of me. So, a source port is taking one program, and compiling it on a different operating system than it was originally programmed for. Pretty basic stuff. But what is it called when you take a program, and attempt to rewrite the source code in a completely different language. I know its not a very common thing to do (at least in my experience) but a friend of mine and I were talking and this came up and just not knowing the term for it is annoying me to say the least. Anyone know the term?
That's called "cross-compiling."

For instance, when games are built for the Dreamcast, the GCC cross-compiler for the ARM processor is used. This term is common in the embedded system world because the hardware that's used might have an outdated or non-standard chip.

EDIT: I misunderstood you. Either way, I don't recall a more specific term than porting, although wikipedia mentions that porting does not generally refer to writing a program in a different language. I, for one, have always called the process porting, even if a different language is used. (To quote wikipedia, however, they call it, "language conversion or translation").

Here are a few of my own, in alphabetical order:
  • Algorithm -- A sequence of instructions. Algorithms are said to be the compliment of data, although some professors claim that the line between data and algorithm is being blurred. If you're a computer science student, it is likely that you'll take an algorithms class sometime before you graduate. (Often times, you'll take two).
  • Mutex -- When creating a multi-threaded program, a mutex serves to lock resources. Essentially, it's a flag that signifies whether data can or cannot be accessed.
  • Object Oriented Design -- OOD facilitates planning the structure of objects within a program. Typical designs include the observer pattern, singletons, and adapters.
  • Recursion -- A term that is used in mathematics, it describes a function that builds upon itself. One problem that can occur with recursion is stack overflow, and it is a technique that tends to be avoided in game development, although it finds use in artificial intelligence.
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs -- A book and lecture series that has become well known in computer science education. Course content is freely available from MIT's website.
Last edited by LuciDreamTheater on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aeolus
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by Aeolus »

So is the original guy not editing his first post? I would like to write all the terms down in my Notes of all Notes C++ notebook lol. Im a notetaker.

Anyways here you go:

Code: Select all

* Superclass, Parentclass
* Subclass, childclass
* scope
* heap, freestore
* overhead
* dynamic
* static
* overloaded
* overwritten
* composition
* inheritance
* encapsulation
* polymorphisms
* virtual
* constant
* operator
* pointer
* reference
* short circuiting
* unary, binary, and ternary operators
* function
* function signature
* declaration
* definition
* instance
* structured
* procedural
* low vs high level
* optimization
* recursion
* iteration
* increment
* decrement
* prefix
* postfix
* lvalue: The values on the Left. Example: "x"=5
* rvalue: The Values on the Right. Example: x="5"
Hyde from That 70's Show wrote:Woman are like muffins... Once you have a muffin you will do anything to have another muffin... And they know that.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

No, he's not editing the OP. But he did write
Please guys, if you post terms, please post the definitions for them also, Thanks!
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.