Cross-Platform GUI Framework

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

arcelios
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Cross-Platform GUI Framework

Post by arcelios »

Hello Gentle(wo)men,
I have been looking at various cross-platform GUI frameworks, such as Trolltech's "QT" and wxWidgets, and I am having trouble deciding which one you find to be the most advantageous? I have already learned the basics of C++ (functions, arrays, etc. I've even dabbled a bit in Object-Oriented.) and I'm looking to expand my repertoire to include GUI programming. I am not what you would call a "fan" of Windows, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize its massive market share, and the importance of developing software for it in the career of a developer. However, I do not want to develop solely for Windows, for Linux and OS X are gaining quite a bit of ground as well. For these reasons, I would like to develop an application once, and have it distributed amongst Windows, Linux, BSD, and OS X with native speed and functionality. I am looking for your recommendations for cross-platform GUI frameworks.

Thank you,
Arc
and sometimes there’s a third, even deeper level and that one is the same as the top surface one...Like with pie…
-Dr Horrible
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Cross-Platform GUI Framework

Post by avansc »

if its not for a game then use java.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Cross-Platform GUI Framework

Post by M_D_K »

Personally I use wxWidgets for all my GUI stuff, but thats just me. Try them both out and stick with the one you like more.
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.