I am now a Dreamcast owner!!!

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

bulls.bears2011
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

I am now a Dreamcast owner!!!

Post by bulls.bears2011 »

After a long time of waiting, I now officially own a Sega Dreamcast.

I found it for 15 dollars at a resale shop in my town. It is the standard grayish color, with all the cables, one game CHICKEN RUN, and one mad catz controller. The controller is crap, but there is also a vmu. Either way, I feel it was a good deal none-the-less.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Re: I am now a Dreamcast owner!!!

Post by Trask »

Congrats, I'm actually getting one for christmas myself. All that for $15? It's a good deal, you can always upgrade the controller later.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Damn, you got a really good deal on it. Welcome to REAL VIDEO GAMING, MY FRIEND.

...seriously, it's still my favorite console to this day. So many forgotten gems, so many great experiences that were only on Dreamcast... it's sad, really. And towards the end of its life, the quality of the games (graphically and gameplay) were definitely up with modern PS2/GC/Xbox games. The DC didn't get its fair chance at the 128-bit generation of hardware.

But it's funny. Look at some of the killer DC games, then look at what PS2 killed it with. Damn Sony hype, DC was way ahead of PS2 at launch.
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Damn, you got a really good deal on it. Welcome to REAL VIDEO GAMING, MY FRIEND.

...seriously, it's still my favorite console to this day. So many forgotten gems, so many great experiences that were only on Dreamcast... it's sad, really. And towards the end of its life, the quality of the games (graphically and gameplay) were definitely up with modern PS2/GC/Xbox games. The DC didn't get its fair chance at the 128-bit generation of hardware.

But it's funny. Look at some of the killer DC games, then look at what PS2 killed it with. Damn Sony hype, DC was way ahead of PS2 at launch.
amen. When the DC was released, there was no doubt that it we had entered the next generation of consoles. The poly count, texture resolution, and character animation put the PS1 and N64 to shame. To this day, I still think Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast is a masterpiece.

...and DAMNIT, I planned on devving tonight, but I might have to go fire up the DC.

bulls.bears, you've made a wise purchase - enjoy!
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

. . . trufun, you have a Dreamcast!?!?
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:. . . trufun, you have a Dreamcast!?!?
Yes sir! What self respecting gamer wouldn't?

EDIT: Oh, and I saw your comment about the PSO combat system. My DC only has a dial-up modem, so I can't get online with it anymore. But, if I can get my hands on a copyof PSO, can it be played offline?
-Chris

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

1) Peter's been playing it with a dial-up modem for years, so why not do it yourself? Don't need a BBA. ;P
2) Yes, I'm pretty sure you can...Though, when the dev team entered its PSO hype, I was on PC 99% of the time, so I can't be positive.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Arce wrote:1) Peter's been playing it with a dial-up modem for years, so why not do it yourself? Don't need a BBA. ;P
2) Yes, I'm pretty sure you can...Though, when the dev team entered its PSO hype, I was on PC 99% of the time, so I can't be positive.
I can't because I don't have landline phone service. :( I have cable internet and a cell phone.
-Chris

ultimatedragoon69
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Pangea's quest (text ~tile~ based rpg)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, PC, playstation 1, Virtual Boy, Snes
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by ultimatedragoon69 »

well dang guys now i have to go and hook up my dreamcast to play some shoot-em up games with my dreamcast guns.
cronjob00
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by cronjob00 »

I need to go buy a new dreamcast mine got stolen.
bulls.bears2011
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

UPDATE

Post by bulls.bears2011 »

UPDATE: Chicken Run is actually a really fun game, I was surprised
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Re: UPDATE

Post by cypher1554R »

bulls.bears2011 wrote:UPDATE: Chicken Run is actually a really fun game, I was surprised
Yeah, that's why Sony stole the show, cause DC devvers have no idea how to hype something, like, not giving game a crappy name for example..

:lol:
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sony stole the show, because they said that PS2 could do "66 million polygons a second" while Sega said Dreamcast could do 3 million.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Hate to make a new post so I'll resurrect this one, but since I'm getting my Dreamcast for christmas, what games should I look out for? As a Mortal Kombat fan, I already have Gold... but other games I was looking at include Sonic Adventures, Crazy Taxi(played this in arcades), and Shenmue(sp?)... any others that I might not have picked up on that is a must for all Dreamcast owners?

I also picked up a VGA adapter for the Dreamcast, I heard it makes it all nice and purty. Hopefully it'll look ok on the PC port on my HDTV. :D
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue 1+2, Samba De Amigo (with or without maracas), Rez, Jet Grind Radio, Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Space Channel 5 1 and 2, Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2. Those are all considered "AAA" Dreamcast games.

I shall recommend more later. What genres are you into?

By the way, the VGA should look absolutely beautiful on your HDTV. The change in quality between the standard output is enormous. It's going from 480i to 480p.