Suggested books on these topics?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Suggested books on these topics?

Post by avansc »

ismetteren wrote:I am going to get a book called game coding complete, but i havent read it yet, so i cant say if it is good or bad. But people seems to like it.
if its this one, http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Microsof ... 61&sr=8-12 then yes, its a very good book. i would suggest getting "code complete 2".

in general its an excellent book. nothing about game design, but its a great book.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

although if you want the ultimate books on programming id suggest a series called
"the art of computer programming" i have a set thats volume 1,2,3 , but if memory
serves me correct its a total of 5 volumes.

note: that this is a no-fuck-around series. its probably the best you can get but not for beginners.
also these aren't CS books in the traditional sense, they are monographs, and listed among thinks like
Eisenstein on relativity, and Feynman on quantum electrodynamics. so its pretty serious stuff.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

That sounds really interesting. I think that I'm going to at least look into these books.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

i have volume 1 2 and 3 in *.djvu form if anyone is interested.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

also i just realized i have "code complete 2" on ebook if anyone is interested.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Alright I got my parents to buy me the OpenGL SuperBible, but they are waiting for christmas to give it to me...Anyone else have some other suggestions? (avansc I'm taking a look into your recommendation right now)
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

XianForce wrote:Alright I got my parents to buy me the OpenGL SuperBible, but they are waiting for christmas to give it to me...Anyone else have some other suggestions? (avansc I'm taking a look into your recommendation right now)
Screw that.. If you want to get serious with OpenGL, then "Redbook" is the path.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

cypher1554R wrote:
XianForce wrote:Alright I got my parents to buy me the OpenGL SuperBible, but they are waiting for christmas to give it to me...Anyone else have some other suggestions? (avansc I'm taking a look into your recommendation right now)
Screw that.. If you want to get serious with OpenGL, then "Redbook" is the path.

Whoops xD, well already got the SuperBible from Falco's suggestion. I'm sure it will be sufficient.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

avansc wrote:
ismetteren wrote:I am going to get a book called game coding complete, but i havent read it yet, so i cant say if it is good or bad. But people seems to like it.
if its this one, http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Microsof ... 61&sr=8-12 then yes, its a very good book. i would suggest getting "code complete 2".

in general its an excellent book. nothing about game design, but its a great book.
I should get both ? or just the first edition? or just the second edition? The titles seem like they are differently directed, but I'm not to sure. You said get the 2nd edition, but gave me a link to the first...so which should I get?

EDIT: Also, while I'm at it, any other topics I should look into? So far I have: C++, Lua, and OpenGL...with some MINIMAL C knowledge beforehand.