For those of us who love Ruby!

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

For those of us who love Ruby!

Post by Andy K. »

Hey Hey!

I was passed along to this book (it's on the web) on Ruby that I figured would be awesome to share with everyone. It's by far the best, most creative textbook ever. For those of you who want to learn Ruby check this out, for those of you who know Ruby and want to bone up check this out, for those of you who just want to laugh, CHECK THIS OUT.

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-1.html

I got a pretty good laugh out of this book, and I know a fair touch of Ruby, too. And I can attest to this book's accuracy!

The cartoons are great and keep you from feeling drained from all teh learnin. :lol:
Chaos Clown
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: For those of us who love Ruby!

Post by Chaos Clown »

I've only read the first two pages and have already decided that this is the most insane textbook ever and I want to buy it just to give the author my money. I might eventually learn ruby at some point too. :lol:
¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!
~El Pollo Diablo
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

I’ll be straight with you. I want you to cry. To weep. To whimper sweetly. This book is a poignant guide to Ruby. That means code so beautiful that tears are shed. That means gallant tales and somber truths that have you waking up the next morning in the arms of this book. Hugging it tightly to you all the day long. If necessary, fashion a makeshift hip holster for Why’s (Poignant) Guide to Ruby, so you can always have this book’s tender companionship.
I'm not even beyond the second page yet, and I'm almost crying with laughter!! XDDDD

Fuck, one of these days I will pay my dues to this author. That's the most badass way to teach ANYTHING...EVER. :worship:
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Arce

Post by Arce »

This is my new favorite book. Period.

You know any book that has this is worth reading:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Concerning Commercial Uses of the (Poignant) Guide:
This book is released under a Creative Commons license which allows unlimited commercial use of this text. Basically, this means you can sell all these bootleg copies of my book and keep the revenues for yourself. I trust my readers (and the world around them) to rip me off. To put out some crappy Xerox edition with that time-tested clipart of praying hands on the cover.

Guys, the lawsuits just ain’t worth the headache. So I’m just going to straight up endorse authorized piracy, folks. Anybody who wants to read the book should be able to read it. Anybody who wants to market the book or come up with special editions, I’m flattered.

Why would I want the $$$? IGNORE ALL OTHER SIDEBARS: I’ve lost the will to be a rich slob. Sounds inhuman, but I like my little black-and-white television. Also my hanging plastic flower lamp. I don’t want to be a career writer. Cash isn’t going inspire me. Pointless.

So, if money means nothing to the lucky stiff, why rip me off when you could co-opt shady business practices to literally crush my psyche and leave me wheezing in some sooty iron lung? Oh, and the irony of using my own works against me! Die, Poignant Boy!

To give you an idea of what I mean, here are a few underhanded concepts that could seriously kill my willpower and force me to reconsider things like existence.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Wow. That is by far the most amazing book, that I have ever began reading. Umm. I can't think of any words to describe its greatness right now.. so please if you haven't checked it out. GO. NOW.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Andy K.
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Andy K. »

I only wish I would've had this book a couple of years ago in high school, when we were touching on Ruby in a programming class of mine :lol: I'm glad you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Also, chunky bacon. That is all.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

i read the first two pages.
it was like someone captured a little piece of heaven
and sprinkled it on paper
then posted the result on the internet.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Diablo vt
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Diablo vt »

I really had to read it. I nearly pissed myself laughing! What a good life it is and thanks for posting this! :lol:
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.