Pirate Game

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

Christer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Pirate Game

Post by Christer »

Thanks. Iam working with a new video where i will explain in detail about the project and how the game and editor works.
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

I really must say I like the GUI, but, you say that you have a Graphics Artist but most of your tiles seem, out of place with each-ther. E.G: The chair and the wall, the chair is detailed and beautiful, but, the wall looks bland and distasteful. Sorry, just my opinion. I hope I didn't offend anyone and I hope my criticism is taken well.
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
Christer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Christer »

Well I had to take some free graphics because my graphics artist was not fast enoth. I will change the graphics as soon as i can replace them with the new ones.
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

I see, well that's okay, but if you need any help i'll be glad to do some graphical designs and stuff for you. I'm pretty good and pixel art ^^
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
Christer
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Christer »

Right now this is a school project so it can just be me and my graphics artist that can be working on this project. But when i end school this year i will have full controll over the project this meen any can join. But i think i will start another project after school with BlitzMax wich is alot better the Blitz3D.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

The editor seems very slow... but other than that it looks really good, not very user friendly, but I'm sure you'll fix that eventually :)
Good job!
There's no place like ~/
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

Christer wrote:Right now this is a school project so it can just be me and my graphics artist that can be working on this project. But when i end school this year i will have full control over the project this means any can join. But i think i will start another project after school with BlitzMax wich is alot better the Blitz3D.
sounds like a good plan, keep at it ;)

from what I can see, you know what you're doing, just keep working at it!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

School project, nice, I wish my school let us do coding projects T_T ><

MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

mgold07 wrote:School project, nice, I wish my school let us do coding projects T_T ><
Wait until you get to college and they start giving you ambiguous assignments (lol grading criteria what) while not teaching you coding basics (hope that you already know how to code, iow). Sweet.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

Yeah, I know the basics, integers, variables, floating numbers, arrays, string, algebra :P simple :lol: Then again, my school failed at teaching us HTML xD

LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

mgold07 wrote:Yeah, I know the basics, integers, variables, floating numbers, arrays, string, algebra :P simple :lol: Then again, my school failed at teaching us HTML xD
Failing at teaching HTML is an epoch phail of a fail...
What did your teacher do?
There's no place like ~/
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

In uk school, code is frowned upon, and inevitably ignored. I had to go out there and see what there was to offer.
(indeed I remember being laughed at and given funny looks when I answered a question about which data type would be appropriate for a certain task...I said string, and no-one had ever heard the term, the IT teacher didn't give me the mark either :( )

It's kinda sad, since the UK was well known for it's groundbreaking research into computers and technology, from what I gather, 20 years ago (perhaps only 15) you used to learn BASIC in school!

Now it's all Spreadsheets this, and databases that. It gets better in college though (although we are using VBA, and not a standalone language, which is a little annoying)

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Chaos Clown
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by Chaos Clown »

programmerinprogress wrote:In uk school, code is frowned upon, and inevitably ignored. I had to go out there and see what there was to offer.
(indeed I remember being laughed at and given funny looks when I answered a question about which data type would be appropriate for a certain task...I said string, and no-one had ever heard the term, the IT teacher didn't give me the mark either :( )

It's kinda sad, since the UK was well known for it's groundbreaking research into computers and technology, from what I gather, 20 years ago (perhaps only 15) you used to learn BASIC in school!

Now it's all Spreadsheets this, and databases that. It gets better in college though (although we are using VBA, and not a standalone language, which is a little annoying)
Yeah, I kind of had the same problems, it seems like if you want to get anywhere with programming these days, you have to teach yourself. My ICT teacher at school spent weeks trying to convince me not to take computing at sixth form, but he was an idiot.

It's a shame, since, like you said, in the days of the spectrum and such, there was a massive culture of bedroom coders, that gave rise to companies like codemasters and bullfrog. Now that's pretty much all died out.

Edit: Your game's looking good too! :lol:
¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!
~El Pollo Diablo
M_D_K
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by M_D_K »

programmerinprogress wrote:In uk school, code is frowned upon, and inevitably ignored. I had to go out there and see what there was to offer.

Yeah been there, still hate it. The schools here take a very business based look at computers. For instance my school has a A level course in Game Dev, but its all business related(well almost)the few exceptions are 3D modelling, and Game design. But other than that business.

I was ready to bitchslap a tutor when I heard how he explained the elements in a main menu.
Gyro Sheen wrote:you pour their inventory onto my life
IRC wrote: <sparda> The routine had a stack overflow, sorry.
<sparda> Apparently the stack was full of shit.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

I'm glad everyone agrees with me, so it's not just my schools then :lol:

My computing teacher talks a bit about how it used to be.

He has an old Acorn computer in the corner, he told me about when the RM people came in, and they replaced al the Acorns (where you could write in pure BASIC and write in Acorn assembly straight away) with RM PCs.

It almost seems if our schools and colleges (or at least the high up, management types) are ashamed of our past, it's sad really, because I love to program (not use the wizards in MS Access all day :evil: )