Suggestions for Books

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Suggestions for Books

Post by mgold07 »

Hey Elysian Shadows and the Chaos Rift community, I have a question about programming. Would anybody be so kind as to give me helpful suggestions on some good programming books for begginers (any language, I'm not fusssy). Thank you in advance.
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
deryni21
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Re: Suggestions for Books

Post by deryni21 »

mgold07 wrote:Hey Elysian Shadows and the Chaos Rift community, I have a question about programming. Would anybody be so kind as to give me helpful suggestions on some good programming books for begginers (any language, I'm not fusssy). Thank you in advance.
I would suggest thinking about a langauge before asking about a book correct?
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

Well, if I had to choose a language it would be Ruby or C++ as I already have Bin files etc. installed for these.
Greatness comes once every lifetime, as the nice lord bj proves this, nobody can be great more than once in their lifetime, he had his day, his birth was great. It caused awesomeness to die, and programmers to shudder. For a day that is...

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/mgold07.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">mgold07.</iframe>
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

There are quite a few books posted in this thread, page two. If you're looking for super-beginner books, "C++ for Dummies" is alright :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
mgold07
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by mgold07 »

Thanks Marauder, i'll check 'em out later :P

Aliuar2
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Aliuar2 »

I recommend GPU Gems 2 or 3 by Nvidia for really neat stuff... (this is a bit advanced.)
Diablo vt
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Diablo vt »

A good book, would be The C Programming Language. It's written by the developers of the language. It's worth a read.
There are 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

C++: a beginners guide by herbert schildt, a pretty good read for beginners I think ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P