Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by Arce »

Wow, great to see some new faces! Welcome!

A dev community is a great place to learn, granted that you don't use it as a replacement to google. There's a horde of highly seasoned programmers on this board who're willing to help you guys out if you have any questions.

Also, most of us here are pretty hardcore gamers (oldschool ftw!). Feel free to post wherever, just be sure to read the few rules that marauder actually posted. XD

Also, congrats on the 18! I'd BUST OUT THE NES AND PAAARTAYY! :lol:

Oh, and I'd like to see some of your flash games sometime? If you want to make a topic in 'game development' dedicated to your projects or flash games, go for it.

Also, the mIRC channel is up 24/7, feel free to drop by all new guys. ;)
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
Rhys
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Learning from my C++ book.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC. Lurv it.
Programming Language of Choice: C++.

Post by Rhys »

Hey.

Over the last.. 3 days I've been watching the video's of the team on Yt, gotta say, the videos are great, I love the concept of a small group of friends getting together to do something constructive and fun, like make a game. You're videos have inspired me to finally pick up a language that I've been trying to learn. I'm now just finishing a beginners tutorial of C++. :)

There's not much really about me, name's Rhys as you may have picked up. Not gonna lie, I'm 14 - not to say I'm not marute.
At the moment I'm playing Darkfall, just finished beta testing and am awaiting a copy, came from WoW at the end of last year, left that for some obvious reasons. Whilst I wait for Darkfall I'm learning programming, hoping to get a small group of friends with similar ideals to start a team similar to the one working on this game. Early days, I know, just a plan.

Should stay fairly active around here, very interesting site. So ugh.. Hey. ;)
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Welcome :)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
KuramaYoko10
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by KuramaYoko10 »

Hey there...

I just want to officially introduce myself... I have done some posts here on the forum but never get to say a Hi to everyone :)
Soo... my name is Guilherme (weird for americans huh..), I am from Brazil, I am 17 and finishing high school (doing a special course to get in a good college here - the education system here is very different from US xD) ...

I started programming or... getting to know about programming in second semester of 2008, so I am very new to it, and since I am doing hard work for school I get to actually program only on my freetime. I want to go to college for computer science and who knows, some day I want to get in the Game Industry...

So... hello everyone and.. is there anyone from Brazil here??

;)

P.S: I am not japanese or oriental... I just love animes and mangas and Kurama is my favorite character xD (people on internet like to call me chinese, or japanese or whatever... lol)
Type a message here!!
[b][color=#BF0000]MarauderIIC[/color][/b] wrote:"Never" is never true in programming.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

I'm pretty sure BOMBERMAN is from brazil ;)

And welcome to you.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Hey, Kurama. I fixed my name in your sig d:
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
thisisnotanick
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by thisisnotanick »

Greetings!

Ive been following the Adventures in Game Development series on Youtube for a while (and im waiting for a new episode gd it! :))
My current place of residence is Norway if that is of any interest.

I like programming and drawing graphics. I like long visits to websites but I dont mind staying at localhost, just relaxing. Or.. Something..
Ktulu
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Ktulu »

#include <stdio.h>

void main()

{
const char* heyguys = " I'm Ktulu, or Tim. Or Noob. I've been a gamer for over
9000 years despite being 17. I have started learning C today from my extremely
experienced Dad who says he's teaching me C in a C++ way.... whatever that may
mean I am sure I will have an epiffany when I get beyond lame printf and scanf_s
and what everything means.... Despite being a programming noob I could be useful
for music, only have my GCSE in music but I was the only person to score 100% no
flaws on coursework and performances and it would be cool maybe to do dome midi
stuff for a 2d rpg if anyone happens to be developing one? Or anything else. Anywho
I'm the kind of nerd who likes to listen to Behold... The Arctopus followed by some
Liszt, then some Spawn of Possession or Necrophagist and finished off with some
Miles Davis. Hopefully I will blaze C and then go to C++ and C# ASAP. \n\n";

printf("%s", heyguys);
}

tl;dr I suck, but am learning, however I own at music.

And you guys all go on youtube so here's a vid of me going WIDDLY WOOOO on my guitaromobile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkXSkYhk ... annel_page

and also an arrangement I recorded of a piece from final fantasy 4 !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKTDee-R ... annel_page
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Welcome to the forums! just a few things to note as a programmer:

#1. Blaze through C? Not happening. There's so much about C that continues into C++. C is something you should learn as much as you can of, then move into the object-orientedness of C++.

#2. C#? :nono: C# is considered almost taboo around here. C++ is, has been, and will be where things are happening. Though it must be said that Java has all the ease (maybe more) of C#, but it's cross-platform and just plain awesome. Though that's not to say you can't use C#; it is your choice, not ours. ;)

#3. This is the place to go for help if you're confused with anything C/++ or Java. Most of us use one of those three languages and are willing to help. Also, you should try out our IRC channel (check this for how to get on), we're pretty active in the evening EST/EDT.

Hope you enjoy your programming experiences! ;) :mrgreen:
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

thisisnotanick wrote:I like long visits to websites but I dont mind staying at localhost, just relaxing. Or.. Something..
We all know what "something" is.. Welcome to the forums you'll fit right in! ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Ginto8 wrote:#1. Blaze through C? Not happening. There's so much about C that continues into C++. C is something you should learn as much as you can of, then move into the object-orientedness of C++.
Actually if you don't learn both at the same time it gets kind of hard to change habits. Falco can probably tell you about this. "Working in" C++ concepts after learning C is hard.
#2. C#? :nono: C# is considered almost taboo around here. C++ is, has been, and will be where things are happening. Though it must be said that Java has all the ease (maybe more) of C#, but it's cross-platform and just plain awesome. Though that's not to say you can't use C#; it is your choice, not ours. ;)
What the heck? I use C# for work, it's great. And in another thread around here, someone said you could compile it for diff OS's, so...
#3. This is the place to go for help if you're confused with anything C/++ or Java. Most of us use one of those three languages and are willing to help. Also, you should try out our IRC channel (check this for how to get on), we're pretty active in the evening EST/EDT.
Yes'm.

Also, welcome Ktulu and notanick. Also, re: "waiting... gd it!!", well I think that depends on whatever Falco's getanewcamera schedule is.
Ktulu
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Ktulu »

MarauderIIC wrote:
Ginto8 wrote:#1. Blaze through C? Not happening. There's so much about C that continues into C++. C is something you should learn as much as you can of, then move into the object-orientedness of C++.
Actually if you don't learn both at the same time it gets kind of hard to change habits. .
Actually turns out my Dad IS going to teach me both more or less at the same time but is just starting with some C stuff yesterday and today.... he showed me malloc, realloc, calloc and free today and also the for and while loops...
I managed make my computer crash through deliberate memory leakage (using malloc and the power of while(true)) :-D
Why would I WANT to do that? Because I can now.
and also make silly number patterns print, lollerskates.
I can't do jack yet but its fun hahaha.

My dad's only learnt C# in the past couple weeks because its what most jobs seem to require now whereas he had been using c/c++ for the last 20+ish years... I don't think he likes it that much, but he's a contractor so he has to learn to do whatever is needed, but his last two jobs were C++ for Fuji Film (and then whatever it became after it was bought by another company) and BAE.

I'm probably mostly going to be a passive member of this forum hehe.
liveordie2112
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Give it up for the Snes and the n64 :D
Programming Language of Choice: C++, and Lua

Post by liveordie2112 »

Ktulu wrote: lollerskates.
lmao! :lol:
Argio
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Argio »

Arce wrote:who're
=
Whore

Sorry, I didn't meant to. lawl.
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Hey there!

I'd like to introduce myself ;-)

Name: Marius
Home: Aachen, Germany

Some people might know me from Youtube, especially Arce! ;-) My account is Bummslang.

Ciao!