Do you remember when it just clicked into place?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Do you remember when it just clicked into place?

Post by programmerinprogress »

Do you remember when you went from being an average joe who struggled to carry out the simplest task with programming, to someone who at least understands the principles of programming, and programming languages?

It seems to me, that there is a point, like anything, where you crossover from "learning how to use a programming language, and learning statements and expressions etc" to being able to say to yourself "here's a problem, I can use X and Y to come to conclusion Z, or maybe I could improve the entire application by applying A!"

To me, it felt like a point where I was simply going with the flow of programming applications, and then started directing the flow and applying my knowledge.

Now i'm in no way saying that i'm an expert programmer (there is still a lot for me to learn, and there always will be), but does anyone agree that there is a point at which everything clicks into place in your head, and you begin to think like a programmer?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Kros
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: N/A
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Playstation/2/3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Do you remember when it just clicked into place?

Post by Kros »

I definitely agree that there is a point where a "switch is thrown". There is a difference between knowing something, and understanding something. Applying knowledge you "learn" eventually will lead to you understanding it.

That's why its so essential to continually immerse yourself in programming projects, I think.
Isaac Asimov wrote:Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
YouTube Channel
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Maevik »

I'm still waiting on this moment myself, I would like to know though:

What were you working on when it clicked? What concepts were you finding dificult before that came into focus?
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Pointers were definately something I wrestled with, it took me a while to wrap my head around using a variable to locate another variable in the memory, but now i'm able to build up a picture in my head of how it would work.

that's how I come up with my algorithms, I see things (somethimes ridiculous representations, but nonetheless rather accurate) mentally, I usually think about how something should work, then try and break it down into simple operations, then turn that into code!

My BLOCK project helped me a great deal, firstly it taught me to find solutions if I hit a 'brick wall', it also taught me that you can't be ignorant to certain aspects of programming, and then indulge in using other ones.

Programming is about perseverence, and patience, there is no room for complacency, you have to keep working if you want to get anywhere, so I definately agree that with programming you learn by putting what you've learnt into practice, and pushing the boundaries of your current knowledge, to achieve your goals.

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

programmerinprogress wrote:Now i'm in no way saying that i'm an expert programmer (there is still a lot for me to learn, and there always will be), but does anyone agree that there is a point at which everything clicks into place in your head, and you begin to think like a programmer?
Not for everyone. I don't recall having problems with concepts so much as finding the right tools, which is still an occasional issue.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Ummm..I'm not sure if there was one single "click" moment. Tbh, it all builds up...

Though I have plenty of moments where I realized that I must have "clicked" along the way and solved a problem I know I couldn't have a few weeks or moths prior.
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

for me this is more like a periodic event, it happens from time to time, not just overall in programming, but at certain times where i don't get it, then i can't sleep because i feel like something is permanently sucking on my should all the time!

Macromedia AS

Code: Select all

if (shoulderIsSucked=true){
     function figureItOut{
          getTheDamnThingOffYourShoulder();
          shoulderIsSucked=false;
          gotoAndStop(2, true);
     }
}
While Jesus equipped with angels, the Devil's equipped with cops
For God so loved the world that he blessed the thugs with rock
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Reminds me of SpongeBob.
Patrick: "Spongebob, you'll never feel better until you get this thing off your chest."
Camera zooms out, there's some big purple thing attached to Spongebob's chest.
Spongebob: "You're right, Patrick *removes*"
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
thisisnotanick
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by thisisnotanick »

I feel I get these sort of moments of clarity all the time, but every one comes with more questions than answers so to speak.
Thats where the fun lies for me, I feel like there is so much to discover. And it is immensly rewarding when you get something new to work :)
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Like finding the tangent of an angle without the use of a calculator or tables.

(Note: If you value your sanity Do Not Attempt)

But seriously I agree with Arce there wasn't ever a single moment for programming, although it does happen periodically where I'll just think, "Oh, duh."
Last edited by dandymcgee on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
CC Ricers
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by CC Ricers »

I once had a hard time grasping the concept of OOP when going through some PHP tutorials. A problem with these sorts of tutorials is, while they try using a real world analogy to explain it, the analogy gets lost in how it would be helpful in actual programming work. My introductory class to Java finally cleared up those clouded thoughts I had about OOP and now it's hard for me to go back to programming procedurally, unless it's for high-priority work on a short deadline. The textbook we used had practical examples of it (figures since it's all about Java).
Cole S.
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Cole S. »

It took me a while to understand pointers and templates in C++, I had to read my book twice!
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

which book did you use?

I wasnt able to fathom pointers until I could see their potential in action!

Passing by reference and moving your variables around without making them global is a great thing, and without being able to reference a memory address through pointers, you wouldn't be able to do that, then what would you have? (Visual Basic! :lol: )

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

programmerinprogress wrote:which book did you use?

I wasnt able to fathom pointers until I could see their potential in action!

Passing by reference and moving your variables around without making them global is a great thing, and without being able to reference a memory address through pointers, you wouldn't be able to do that, then what would you have? (Visual Basic! :lol: )
actually VB can do pointers to.....
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Yeah, I sorta flicked through google, typed in "Pointers Visual Basic", and I did get some results, but they hardly qualify as an integral aspect of the Visual Basic Programming language, they sorta just 'added it in'

Under closer inspection, I noticed VB.NET CAN use pointers, but i've never used that (not much anyway) so nevermind.