Visual C++ 2008 Redistribution

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Visual C++ 2008 Redistribution

Post by dandymcgee »

herby490 wrote:since it is illegal to use DirectX with any compiler other than Visual C++?
I Highly doubt that's true. There's no way they would make it illegal to use DirectX with any other compiler. I'm sure there's a way to set it up with Code::Blocks, but from a quick google search it doesn't look like it's very fun or easy.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Well you can use DirectX in Visual Basic and Visual C# does that count :D
There's no place like ~/
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

OP still needs a workable solution. Has anyone managed to redist with VS2008 yet?
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Ok I tried to redist a simple program today and it failed again so I am going to say what I did step by step and hopefully someone will be able to pick out what I did wrong.
I wrote out a simple program using MS VC++express here is the code:

Code: Select all

#include <iostream> 

int main()
{
	std::cout << "Hope this works." << std::endl;
	std::cin.get();
	return 0;
}
Then i compiled the program as a release configuration and in the folder it was in there was the executable file(test.exe) and a debug database. I copied test.exe to a a folder named test in my documents. I then ran an application called Depends that Microsoft says to use to find the DLLs needed for a program to run. It said I needed the following DLLs.
kernel32.dll
ntdll.dll
msvcp90.dll
msvcr90.dll

I found those Dlls and used the ones that had the exact path as Depends told me even though I believe that it doesn't make a difference. Anyway I copied those into the same folder as the exe file. After that I transferred the folder it was in to my flash drive and tested it to make sure it still worked. It worked. I then took the application off my computer with vista and moved it to my computer with xp. I ran the application and it did not work. So anyone know what I did wrong?
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Maevik »

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having a similar issue.
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

No I did not and I do not want to have to install the redist package manually on each computer. Also a different question while I was searching for a way to redist my program I found out you can do it by switching it to Multithreaded from Multithreaded dll. I also found out this does not allow you to patch your game. Why and is it the same with MingW since i believe it uses MT.