Microsoft DreamSpark

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Microsoft DreamSpark

Post by herby490 »

I just signed up for the Dreamspark program by Microsoft which gives you free software for being a student. The only catch is
If You use the Software to create software programs, You may only commercially use or distribute them upon the purchase of appropriate commercial license(s) for the Software.
does that mean that I am not allowed to give my programs away even if they are free and If that is the case does the Express version have the same restrictions assuming I don't get it from Dreamspark.
Ewan
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Re: Microsoft DreamSpark

Post by Ewan »

Nope, it says commercially. So you can't sell them. It should be fine giving them away.
They pull out the truncheon, that's when the trouble starts.

'Cause when you've got a badge, the laws don't apply.
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Even if I post it on a website for free download.
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

Lol... what Microsoft Product is even worth getting?
There's no place like ~/
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Microsoft's products are nice just overpriced.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

herby490 wrote:Even if I post it on a website for free download.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/commercially
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

What about the distribute part of the EULA
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by LeonBlade »

I don't know any product from them I would want... suggestions?
There's no place like ~/
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Visual studio is good
Xp is good
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

Should I just assume that distributing it for free is ok
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

herby490 wrote:Should I just assume that distributing it for free is ok
Unless specifically stated otherwise, then yeah. ;)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
herby490
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by herby490 »

It just says commercially so I am going to assume that I just can not sell them.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

LeonBlade wrote:Lol... what Microsoft Product is even worth getting?
MS has a lot of good products. you are just to full of shit thinking linux is some how so much beter.

here is a challange for you...

go to best buy, buy 2 pc's, 2 printers. then go pu windows on one, and linux on another, ans pug that printer in, then see who strugles the most.
then after you took an hour getting printing done on your linux box. try and true map to a windows drive... cant.. can you.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
wtetzner
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: waterbear, GBA game + editor
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Game Boy Advance
Programming Language of Choice: OCaml

Post by wtetzner »

avansc wrote:
MS has a lot of good products. you are just to full of shit thinking linux is some how so much beter.

go to best buy, buy 2 pc's, 2 printers. then go pu windows on one, and linux on another, ans pug that printer in, then see who strugles the most.
then after you took an hour getting printing done on your linux box. try and true map to a windows drive... cant.. can you.
While I agree that Microsoft has some good products, the fact that getting a printer to work might be harder in Linux than Windows has to do with hardware manufacturers writing drivers for Windows and not for Linux. It has nothing to do with the quality of either Linux or Windows. And it's easy to map a windows drive in Linux (assuming you mean a shared folder?). If you mean mapping a shared printer, it's as easy as mapping a shared folder, they both use Samba. Most major distributions have a GUI for folder and printer sharing that's at least as easy to use as it is in Windows.

Both OS's have their strengths and weaknesses, and it's stupid to say one or the other completely sucks.
The novice realizes that the difference between code and data is trivial. The expert realizes that all code is data. And the true master realizes that all data is code.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

wtetzner wrote:
avansc wrote:

While I agree that Microsoft has some good products, the fact that getting a printer to work might be harder in Linux than Windows has to do with hardware manufacturers writing drivers for Windows and not for Linux. It has nothing to do with the quality of either Linux or Windows. And it's easy to map a windows drive in Linux (assuming you mean a shared folder?). If you mean mapping a shared printer, it's as easy as mapping a shared folder, they both use Samba. Most major distributions have a GUI for folder and printer sharing that's at least as easy to use as it is in Windows.

Both OS's have their strengths and weaknesses, and it's stupid to say one or the other completely sucks.
i never claimed on to completely suck. just pointing out that that doing something as mundane as getting a printer to work is alot easier on windows. whether that by fault of the os or people who write the drivers. and as for the sharing, windows has a file sharing protocal. linux usually does it through ftp or something. things may have changed in the mean time. im not to clued up on that kinda stuff.

my dad runs linux as windows machines in his labs. ans according to him, windows advanced server 2003 is alot more stable that linux on a enteprize edition. (im not claiming this, only relaying what someone who has worked in the field for years says)
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"