Games you'd like to see remade (or demade?)

Forum for the creative side of the game development process: art, music, storyline, gameplay, concepts, etc. Any sort of relevant discussion is welcome here.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Games you'd like to see remade (or demade?)

Post by dandymcgee »

LusikkaMage wrote: Sounds like the "Oh, you're a game programmer? Make a game like GTA but with fully customizable cars and the entire united states as the game world!" syndrome.
So that's what you've been so busy with lately. Can't Wait to see it!
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Moosader wrote:
thejahooli wrote:They should make a single game with all the pokemon games on it and that you could travel between the worlds with the same character
Sounds like the "Oh, you're a game programmer? Make a game like GTA but with fully customizable cars and the entire united states as the game world!" syndrome.

Though admittedly, more plausible. ;P
especially cause some of the games are based on the same place :lol:
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Maevik »

Moosader wrote:What games would you like to see remade or demade (aka remade for a console earlier than it was put out on)? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4shac02_ks
Rock N' Roll Racing! Mario Kart is fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to this title IMO. I heard ( about a year ago now I guess ) that Interplay was reviving some of their old titles like EWJ, MDK, and a baldur's gate thing. Sadly, Rock N' Roll Racing was not one of them QQ
Moosader wrote:I would really love to remake Cheetahmen, Shadowgate (or a similar 1st-person dungeon crawl), and I'm kinda working on ET.
Was Shadowgate the Sierra title? The one with the little inn where you could gamble by choosing a color on a spin-wheel? And a dungeon with virtually no way of mapping/navigtaing?
Moosader wrote:I'd love to see a Wii version of Pokemon Snap. Anyone? Or a console version of Pokemon, similar to the handheld games but with more depth.
You can get it for Virtual Console, although I dont think they adapted any of the controls :( Might be worth looking into though.
Moosader wrote:If someone competent were behind making a new Commander Keen, it'd rock.
They could do some really need stuff with this franchise on Wii. Add some new dynamics to the pogo stick maybe? Has a lot of potential methinks.
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

Maevik wrote:
Moosader wrote:I would really love to remake Cheetahmen, Shadowgate (or a similar 1st-person dungeon crawl), and I'm kinda working on ET.
Was Shadowgate the Sierra title? The one with the little inn where you could gamble by choosing a color on a spin-wheel? And a dungeon with virtually no way of mapping/navigtaing?
Nuhuh, it's a game by an unheard of company for the NES.

And yeah, I was hoping for Pokemon snap with Wiimote controls, not the same analog joystick thingy.
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Maevik »

ok, I wonder what the name of the game I'm thinking of is then... I poured countless hours into it one summer, cheating at gambling (only saving when I won) then completely failing to navigate the dungeon. Maybe it's better I don't know.

Have you tried Pokemon Ranch? I only know one person who bought it, and said it was a mistake ><.
fireVein
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by fireVein »

The game I would like to see re-done is Chrono Cross. It was an alright game, but I think it was a horrible sequel and did not follow the underlying mechanics of what made the original, Chrono Trigger, such a great game. As far as demade goes, I would say Runescape. Being one of the original 8 people to ever log into that game, I don't understand how it got so popular. I mean, don't get me wrong, an embeddable mmo in a browser with very little downloading is a great thing, especially when marketing a game... but seriously.
Rock N' Roll Racing! Mario Kart is fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to this title IMO.
I agree, Rock N' Roll Racing was awesome, I had a lot of fun with that one when I was younger. The reason why Interplay won't(can't) make a remake is because it is actually owned and was developed by Blizzard(back when they where Silicon & Synapse). The Lost Vikings, and Blackthorne are also Blizzard games that were published or owned by Interplay at one time.

Hmm... Shadowgate... NES game.. little known company. Cool, I think I will try to get away with embedding it on my site! (done!)
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Maevik »

fireVein wrote:
Rock N' Roll Racing! Mario Kart is fun, but it doesn't hold a candle to this title IMO.
I agree, Rock N' Roll Racing was awesome, I had a lot of fun with that one when I was younger. The reason why Interplay won't(can't) make a remake is because it is actually owned and was developed by Blizzard(back when they where Silicon & Synapse). The Lost Vikings, and Blackthorne are also Blizzard games that were published or owned by Interplay at one time.
Right, i was under the impression, though, that Interplay had the rights.

I've often wondered why Blizzard, with all their homage paying, never referenced R&RR in one. At least I never found one. Maybe SC2 will have a protoss named Tarquin or something ::shrug::
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Maevik wrote:
fireVein wrote:

I've often wondered why Blizzard, with all their homage paying, never referenced R&RR in one. At least I never found one. Maybe SC2 will have a protoss named Tarquin or something ::shrug::
Man...there was another isometric racing game on the SNES that came out before Rock N' Roll Racing, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. I used to rent it all the time...and I actually liked it more than RN'R... DAMNIT Google, you have failed me.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

trufun202 wrote:
Maevik wrote:
fireVein wrote:

Man...there was another isometric racing game on the SNES that came out before Rock N' Roll Racing, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. I used to rent it all the time...and I actually liked it more than RN'R... DAMNIT Google, you have failed me.
Biker mice from mars? D:
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Maevik »

trufun202 wrote:
...and I actually liked it more than RN'R...
heresy

j.k, I assume it's not F-Zero, so maybe:
Radical Psycho Machine Racing (also Interplay)
Road Riot
Super Off-Road
Street Racer
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

Maevik wrote:Radical Psycho Machine Racing (also Interplay)
YES!! Thank you, Maevik saves the day. I LOVED that game. It came out a year or two before RN'R if I remember correctly.
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
fireVein
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by fireVein »

Blizzard has references in World of Warcraft for every game that they have created(and possibley worked on?). I can't find the url where I found this information, so don't hold me to it, but as far as I know the only reference to R&RR is a dwarf named Olaf somewhere around Uldaman(I think).

Oh, and I am eagerly awaiting StarCraft2. That game is gonna halt my dev to a dead stop.
Radical Psycho Machine Racing (also Interplay)
Sounds cool, looks like I found a new game to try out. *downloads now*
LeonBlade
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Trying to make my first engine in C++ using OGL
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by LeonBlade »

I want to see Final Fantasy VII remade... hell, they've remade all the other ones so far!
There's no place like ~/
OrinCreed
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OrinCreed »

I'd like to see a few remade. For starters lets get some Rocket Knight Adventures in here. Also even though it's kind of shunned by Zelda fans I'd like a Zelda 2 remake. Another good one to remake would be Secret of Mana. I just feel like every Mana game after that fell very short of my expectations and I'd like to see the game with a fresh coat of paint. Super Metroid would be fun to polish too. Man I could go on forever.
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Maevik »

OrinCreed wrote:I'd like to see a few remade. For starters lets get some Rocket Knight Adventures in here. Also even though it's kind of shunned by Zelda fans I'd like a Zelda 2 remake. Another good one to remake would be Secret of Mana. I just feel like every Mana game after that fell very short of my expectations and I'd like to see the game with a fresh coat of paint. Super Metroid would be fun to polish too. Man I could go on forever.
I know some hardcore Zelda fans that absolutely love Zelda 2, so don't feel like you're alone in wanting to see it remade.

As for the Metroid remake, have you seen this:
http://metroidquarantine.com/metroid/fa ... oid-sr388/