Book Recommendation Needed

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: www.keedepictions.com/Pewpew/
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Book Recommendation Needed

Post by Maevik »

So I have a $50 gift card for Barnes and Noble. I was wondering if y'all could help me with a book recommendation. I'm looking for a book on C++ that goes beyond the basics.

I'm comfortable with all simple data types, control structures, arrays/vectors, references, pointers and structs

I'm still getting comfortable with Classes, Inheritance, Polymorphism, and OO theory

I have a basic understanding of memory allocation, although I've tried to avoid using it

I don't know the first thing about linked lists

Does anyone know of a good book that would help fill in the gaps in my knowledge?
My love is like a Haddoken, it's downright fierce!
BenjaminB
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Book Recommendation Needed

Post by BenjaminB »

You can check out the books:
"Exceptional C++", "More exceptional C++."
Those are in-depth challenging books for the already experienced C++ programmer :) But I don't know about the Linked-lists as you mentioned... So check 'em out.
andrew
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by andrew »

You'll really want to understand how linked lists work since they are the foundation of lots of other data structures. Queues and stacks can both be implemented with linked lists.

This tutorial has lots of pictures that show what is going on with them and will help you to understand the basics of how they work.
How to create Linked list using C/C++

This one does a really good job of explaining how they work without as nice visual information, but I think you will have a very deep understanding of them by the end of it. Eternally Confuzzled - Linked List Tutorial

Unfortunately I can't think of a book to recommend to you.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

I'm looking for a book too that goes into more than the basics and data structures
I'll make your software hardware.
Joeyotrevor
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Joeyotrevor »

andrew wrote:You'll really want to understand how linked lists work since they are the foundation of lots of other data structures. Queues and stacks can both be implemented with linked lists.

This tutorial has lots of pictures that show what is going on with them and will help you to understand the basics of how they work.
How to create Linked list using C/C++

This one does a really good job of explaining how they work without as nice visual information, but I think you will have a very deep understanding of them by the end of it. Eternally Confuzzled - Linked List Tutorial

Unfortunately I can't think of a book to recommend to you.
That first link has lots of memory leaks

Code: Select all

eb 0c 48 65 6c 6c 6f 20 77 6f 72 6c 64 21 31 d2 8e c2 30 ff b3 0a bd 02 7c b9 0b 00 b8 00 13 cd 10 eb fe
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

C++: a beginners guide, by herbert schildt, this book is probably my favourite ;)

I just love how this guy isnt afraid to use C/C++ to it's full potential, and he explains it very well too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Lucas
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast

Post by Lucas »

programmerinprogress wrote:C++: a beginners guide, by herbert schildt, this book is probably my favourite ;)

I just love how this guy isnt afraid to use C/C++ to it's full potential, and he explains it very well too.
This.

Although it probably covers most things you already know.
You can look through it's contents in the following link if you click on the 'look inside' picture though, you never know maybe it will have something in there that you want to know more about.
http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Guide-S ... 0072232153
I don't see any invisible walls...
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Lucas wrote:
Although it probably covers most things you already know.
while I agree with you for the most part, it does cover quite a lot of things i've never came across in any of my beginners books i've owned.

I mean I was really surprised, it shows you how to do bitwise operations (which really excited me since I just started to learn about AND'ing and OR'ing in college at the time) plus it tries its best to tie in the connection between pointers and arrays, which I think is fantastic, I also like how this guy isn't afraid to use some standard library functions from <cctype>, and others to save time (FYI he also uses bitmasking to create your own ToUpper() and ToLower() functions if you so wish), he also mentions recursion, which honestly is unheard of in any of my other beginner books!

It's definately the little things I like about this book.

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Maevik »

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at all of those.

Also, thanks for the linked list link :D
Lucas
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, SNES, Dreamcast

Post by Lucas »

programmerinprogress wrote:It's definately the little things I like about this book.
Totally agree with you there, when I bought this book it covered the majority of what I already knew but like you say there are so many little new bits of information in it that it all adds up in the end.
I for example didn't even know what the ? operator did until I read this book, because I just hadn't really seen it used in any beginner tutorials I found on the web.
I was also quite happy that he made the relationship between pointers and arrays so obvious.

I also haven't found any beginners websites or books that go into exception handling, namespaces and the preprocessor either. (Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?)

It just depends on how much content in the book you want to be new to you really, however out of the books and websites I have found C++ for beginners is the only resource I constantly go back to for reference.
So if you don't mind the majority of content already being known to you it's definitely a worthwhile book to try and get.

The only reason the majority might be known to you though is mainly because of the big chapters on functions and classes etc. but even then I still found new little bits of information.
I don't see any invisible walls...
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

Do you know if any of Heb Schildt's other books are good because I loved this book and it is by the best C++ book I've read?
Innerscope
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Gridbug
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, SNES
Programming Language of Choice: Obj-C, C++

Post by Innerscope »

I'm comfortable with all simple data types, control structures, arrays/vectors, references, pointers and structs

I'm still getting comfortable with Classes, Inheritance, Polymorphism, and OO theory

I have a basic understanding of memory allocation, although I've tried to avoid using it

I don't know the first thing about linked lists
I'm going to recommend "C+ + for Programmers (Deitel Developer Series)". I was reading through it the other day at Boarders. It's well written and has lots of sample code.
Current Project: Gridbug
Website (under construction) : http://www.timcool.me
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

thejahooli wrote:Do you know if any of Heb Schildt's other books are good because I loved this book and it is by the best C++ book I've read?
I have his "Complete Reference" of C++, and I think it's pretty good, it does what it says on the tin really...

I also wanted the Java equivalent of that book, I saw it half price and... didn't buy it, i'm kicking myself now :-(

Maevik
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Maevik »

Ok, so I found C++: a beginners guide for $11 for a "like new" copy of the book. I went ahead and ordered it and I still have most of the gift card to try one of the others if this doesn't do the trick for me. Thanks guys.
Last edited by Maevik on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thejahooli
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by thejahooli »

programmerinprogress wrote:
thejahooli wrote:Do you know if any of Heb Schildt's other books are good because I loved this book and it is by the best C++ book I've read?
I have his "Complete Reference" of C++, and I think it's pretty good, it does what it says on the tin really...

I also wanted the Java equivalent of that book, I saw it half price and... didn't buy it, i'm kicking myself now :-(
I'll probably order the complete reference and maybe the c++ cookbook by him.