Any Writers Here?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Any Writers Here?

Post by rolland »

So I've been wondering for a while, are there any writers here? Even fan fiction writers? After all, we have composers, pixel artists, coders, game designers, game connoisseurs, trolls, and the general lurker. Surely we have some storytellers too. (And yes, this is off-topic.)
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...
shadowphantom001
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Any Writers Here?

Post by shadowphantom001 »

I am! ^_^ IDK what to say beyond that... :roll: I'm good at it? I tend to be better then a lot of people I know, I do A LOT of DM-ing for a bunch of different table top games and i write the Campaigns Myself. I just hate having the worst handicaps ever, Medically Diagnosed ADHD and Dyslexia. Yeah so I get frustrated with reading books really fast, which is why Programing is not a Strong Suit of mine
Martijn
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Martijn »

How can this be off topic?
You created a topic on writes, so if your talking about writes your not offtopic!
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Martijn wrote:How can this be off topic?
You created a topic on writes, so if your talking about writes your not offtopic!
He was saying yes it does belong in the General/Off-topic forum.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I do enjoy sitting down and throwing down a nice concept for a story, I don't usually flesh it into an actual story unless it's for a game, but I usually keep those short and flexible.... But yeah I enjoy writing and I'm pretty darn good at it :)
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by rolland »

eatcomics wrote:I do enjoy sitting down and throwing down a nice concept for a story, I don't usually flesh it into an actual story unless it's for a game, but I usually keep those short and flexible.... But yeah I enjoy writing and I'm pretty darn good at it :)
Really? I do something similar, but in reverse. I usually sit down and write a story for a game and end up with about twelve pages of drawn out descriptions and explanations for my own use as notes. And this in turn inspires me to write anything that comes to mind. Useful for filling up my FanFiction.net account, but not so much for game devving.
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

I've written things for games or animations, but I'm pretty ashamed of anything I write that's serious (I really hate melodrama and I tend to classify a lot of amateur works as such, including my own), so I tend to avoid or write really silly stuff.
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

I have actually always considered myself a writer of sorts. I have consistently made straight As all throughout my highschool and college careers in writing and english classes without actually doing anything. I also wrote a large segment of the Elysian Shadows storyline. Yes, I'm totally shamelessly promoting myself, but I have always been a very articulate kind of guy.
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by rolland »

GyroVorbis wrote:I have actually always considered myself a writer of sorts. I have consistently made straight As all throughout my highschool and college careers in writing and english classes without actually doing anything. I also wrote a large segment of the Elysian Shadows storyline. Yes, I'm totally shamelessly promoting myself, but I have always been a very articulate kind of guy.
That's odd, I've gotten many Ds in english 'though I've always liked writing. Apparently I wasn't writing well enough. And there's nothing wrong with self-promotion--maybe I'll update my sig... :)
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef

Post by Netwatcher »

Are you looking for people who make their living from writing?
Because every human with a brain have a story to tell!
And I bet we've all written a story for a class or for ourselves somewhere in our lives (especially the people in this forum).

I have some written stories for games I will probably not make...
And I lie allot(isn't that storytelling?)... Oh wait it's not written...

OK, so I lie allot on AIM ...
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

rolland wrote:
eatcomics wrote:I do enjoy sitting down and throwing down a nice concept for a story, I don't usually flesh it into an actual story unless it's for a game, but I usually keep those short and flexible.... But yeah I enjoy writing and I'm pretty darn good at it :)
Really? I do something similar, but in reverse. I usually sit down and write a story for a game and end up with about twelve pages of drawn out descriptions and explanations for my own use as notes. And this in turn inspires me to write anything that comes to mind. Useful for filling up my FanFiction.net account, but not so much for game devving.
Oh no game concepts take up about a whole notebook when I right those, but story wise it's completely different :)
Dora
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Not software, literary:Collision, The Pantheon War
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast and the original Playstation.
Programming Language of Choice: C++ (but I suck.)

Post by Dora »

I've been writing for a long time, and since my Junior year of highschool (freshly graduated) I've been writing seriously with a plan for publication in mind. However, its only been recently that I've been struck with the idea of writing a storyline for a video game. Its something that has really dug its way into the back of my head and is slowly leeching the life out of me. I mean, I have a great understanding for proper pacing, story development and design, characterization, atmosphere, and implementation of plot devices. When that hit me is when I decided to pick up programming, because studios never hire straight writers... Oh well.
"What follows is the story of a man you may think does not exist. While you are correct in this notion, I can assure you that the man he embodies must indeed be in this world, whether in this universe or another, and the events surely have or, will in the future, have occurred. This is an absurd juncture, yes, but it simply must exist."
~Collision~
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by rolland »

Dora wrote:I've been writing for a long time, and since my Junior year of highschool (freshly graduated) I've been writing seriously with a plan for publication in mind.
I hope you succeed. Personally, I've never given serious thought to getting published. It seems too unstructured for my liking.
Dora
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Not software, literary:Collision, The Pantheon War
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast and the original Playstation.
Programming Language of Choice: C++ (but I suck.)

Post by Dora »

rolland wrote:
Dora wrote:I've been writing for a long time, and since my Junior year of highschool (freshly graduated) I've been writing seriously with a plan for publication in mind.
I hope you succeed. Personally, I've never given serious thought to getting published. It seems too unstructured for my liking.
Thanks man! My current project right now, a science fiction ("fantastical modern reality" more specifically) piece called Collision, I'm hoping to have out before I graduate from my undergraduate courses. Utilizing the multiverse theory, its about a man who gets invited to his own funeral, only in a parallel universe. :)
"What follows is the story of a man you may think does not exist. While you are correct in this notion, I can assure you that the man he embodies must indeed be in this world, whether in this universe or another, and the events surely have or, will in the future, have occurred. This is an absurd juncture, yes, but it simply must exist."
~Collision~
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by rolland »

Dora wrote:
rolland wrote:
Thanks man! My current project right now, a science fiction ("fantastical modern reality" more specifically) piece called Collision, I'm hoping to have out before I graduate from my undergraduate courses. Utilizing the multiverse theory, its about a man who gets invited to his own funeral, only in a parallel universe. :)
Ah, the same Collision from your sig? I love that quote. Also, that sounds like an amazing story. I'd definately buy a copy.