ESRev2-Poll the Audience: "DC vs PSP"

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

ESRev2-Poll the Audience: "DC vs PSP"

Post by Falco Girgis »

Elysian Shadows Revolution 2 is in production, and we would like YOU to be in the next video!

LibGyro is nearing completion. It is a library to power ES (or anything, really) on PC, Dreamcast, and PSP. In the next episode, we will be featuring a showdown between the Dreamcast and PSP (both running equivalent demos with libGyro). The two consoles will be competing head-to-head for overall performance.

We would like YOU, the audience, to tell us who you think will win. If you would like to be a part of it, please record and submit a short clip (between 1 and maybe 7 seconds) of you telling the audience who you are voting/betting on. Please be creative (or at very least audible). The clip will be played (at the appropriate place) along with your name displayed in the video. Video quality is not really a big issue (your shitty old webcam will work).

I haven't quite decided on how submissions will work, but I am flexible. I have AIM, MSN, IRC, GTalk, and maybe even MP4 download via Youtube would work.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: ESRev2-Poll the Audience: "DC vs PSP"

Post by Netwatcher »

Do we have to state our reason?
or just present the console we vote for?

Edit:
is your MSN supersonic_chaos@hotmail.com? because You don't seem to be on it at all...
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

ESR2! *gasp*

I'll pose the same question as netwatcher. Should we include a reason why we chose either the psp or the dc?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
trufun202
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by trufun202 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Elysian Shadows Revolution 2 is in production, and we would like YOU to be in the next video!

LibGyro is nearing completion. It is a library to power ES (or anything, really) on PC, Dreamcast, and PSP. In the next episode, we will be featuring a showdown between the Dreamcast and PSP (both running equivalent demos with libGyro). The two consoles will be competing head-to-head for overall performance.

We would like YOU, the audience, to tell us who you think will win. If you would like to be a part of it, please record and submit a short clip (between 1 and maybe 7 seconds) of you telling the audience who you are voting/betting on. Please be creative (or at very least audible). The clip will be played (at the appropriate place) along with your name displayed in the video. Video quality is not really a big issue (your shitty old webcam will work).

I haven't quite decided on how submissions will work, but I am flexible. I have AIM, MSN, IRC, GTalk, and maybe even MP4 download via Youtube would work.
Hrmm...is the demo pushing polys or sprites? What's the deadline on video submissions?
-Chris

YouTube | Twitter | Rad Raygun

“REAL ARTISTS SHIP” - Steve Jobs
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I had a random idea, does the video have to contain us or could we let a creation do the voting for us?
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Netwatcher »

I made a a video(3D scene) too lol, hope I can get it in.(6-7 sec)
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

So far, the planned categories are:

1) Polygons onscreen (4 vertex quads) opaque AND transparent
2) Textured polygons onscreen
3) Calculations per frame (probably something physics related that Kendall makes)

I will update when I add/edit the list of tests. You are voting for the overall winner.

Yes, animations, creations, and all of those cute things can cast your vote for you. If you can fit a reason for choosing what you did in the time frame, go for it. If it's not a logical reason (PSP SUCKS!!!11one), still go for it. It's supposed to be funny.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

It's 30 miles to the next town. Unless the DC can flip upside down and walk on it's hand I don't think it'll make it. All of the sudden, China was all over the place. Just me and my sidearm and I had no other alternative than to blast my way out. DIE PIG DIE! YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MAJOR PAYNE ALIVE! BAM! I SAW WHAT YOU DID TO MY FRIEND! BAM! BAM! BAM!

Think I could fit that in the time limit xD
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

Oh I thought it said DS vs PSP, I was about to say PSP hands down anyday...
But they have managed to make a DC emulator for psp... not fast or complete emulation... But who knows...

Code: Select all

A ceramic white PSP-1000. The shoulder buttons are on top, the directional pad on the left with the analog 'nub' directly below it, the PlayStation face buttons on the right and a row of secondary buttons below the screen.

The PlayStation Portable uses the common "slab" or "candybar" form factor, measures approximately 17 x 7.3 x 2.2 cm (6.7 x 2.9 x 0.9 in), and weighs 280 grams (9.88 ounces). The front of the console is dominated by the system's 11 cm (4.3 in) LCD screen, which is capable of 480 x 272 pixel video playback with 16.77 million colors. Also on the front are the four PlayStation face buttons (Triangle, Circle, X, Square), the directional pad, the analog 'nub', and several other buttons. In addition, the system includes two shoulder buttons and a USB 2.0 mini-B port on the top of the console and a WLAN switch and power cable input on the bottom. The back of the PSP features a read-only UMD drive for movies and games, and a reader compatible with Sony's Memory Stick Duo flash cards is located on the left of the system. Other features include an IrDA compatible infrared port (discontinued in PSP-2000 and later series), built in stereo speakers and headphone port, and IEEE 802.11b Wi-Fi for access to the Internet, ad-hoc multiplayer gaming, and data transfer.[7]

The PSP uses two 333 MHz MIPS32 R4000-based CPUs [101], a GPU with 2 MB onboard VRAM running at 166 MHz, and includes 32 MB main RAM and 4 MB embedded DRAM in total.[7][102] The hardware was originally forced to run more slowly than it was capable of and most games ran at 222 MHz.[103] However, with firmware update 3.50 on May 31, 2007, Sony removed this limit and allowed new games to run at a full 333 MHz.[104]

The PSP includes an 1800 mAh battery that will provide about 4–6 hours of gameplay, 4–5 hours of video playback, or 8–11 hours of audio playback.[29][105] Official accessories for the console include the AC adapter, car adapter, headset, headphones with remote control, extended-life 2200 mAh battery, battery charger, carrying case, accessories pouch and cleaning cloth, and system pouch and wrist strap.[106]

Code: Select all

The system's processor is a 200 MHz SH-4 with an on-die 128-bit vector graphics engine, 360 MIPS and 1.4 GFLOPS (single precision), using the vector graphics engine. The graphics hardware is a PowerVR2 CLX2 chipset, capable of 7.0 million polygons/second peak performance and trilinear filtering. Graphics hardware effects include gouraud shading, z-buffering, anti-aliasing, per-pixel translucency sorting and bump mapping. The system supports approximately 16.78 million colors (24-bit) color output and displays interlaced or progressive scan video at 640x480 video resolution.

For sound, the system features a Yamaha AICA Sound Processor with a 22.5 MHz 32-Bit ARM7 RISC CPU operating at 45 MHz,[17], 64 channel PCM/ADPCM sampler (4:1 compression), XG MIDI support and 128 step DSP.

The Dreamcast has 16 MB 64 Bit 100 MHz of main RAM, 8 MB 4x16-bit 100 MHz video RAM and 2 MB 16-bit 66 MHz sound RAM. [18] The hardware supports VQ Texture Compression (5:1 texture compression)[17]

The system reads media using a 12x maximum speed (Constant Angular Velocity) Yamaha GD-ROM Drive. The Dreamcast can also read data from a Visual Memory Unit ("VMU") removable storage device and 4x memory cards that hold four times as much data. Input devices such as game controllers are connected to four USB-like "Maple Bus" ports.
A black 56k Dreamcast modem

In most regions, the Dreamcast included a removable modem. The original Asia/Japan model had a 33.6 kbit/s; consoles sold in Japan after September 9, 1999 had a 56 kbit/s modem. All American models had a 56 kbit/s modem, while all PAL models had a 33.6 kbit/s modem. Brazilian models manufactured under license by Tec Toy did not include a modem, which was available separately. The regular modem could be replaced with a broadband adapter that was sold separately.

[edit] 
PSP has more ram overall, but it doesnt say anything about sound... CPU runs at 333MHz and the GPU is 166MHz...

The DC in total Speed, its 266MHz

IDK, I go with the PSP to be honest...

edit: if you are doing video quality and stuff, then the DC has to run on the same size screen as the PSP to be fair...
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

I go with Dreamcast, do to the fact that it's CD, it has a keyboard( useless in this case, but hey ), It's a console ( probably has a bigger internal thingsimijig ).
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Netwatcher »

Where/how/When will we be able to submit them?

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

I have received submissions via personal message (with a link to the download) and via private Youtube uploads. I have trufun's right now. I need to get those of you who are on Youtube to friend me.
Bludklok
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: EnigmaCore
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, N64, Playstation1, Playstation2

Post by Bludklok »

I will record mine as soon as I find my video camera and post it on youtube. ;)
Youtube
Website
Current project: Enigma Core
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

Pickzell wrote:I go with Dreamcast, do to the fact that it's CD, it has a keyboard( useless in this case, but hey ), It's a console ( probably has a bigger internal thingsimijig ).
Actually, UMD Holds more data and but is proprietary... and the psp has a keyboard (actually several) you can buy...
rolland
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Starting an Android app soon
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1, N64

Post by rolland »

davidthefat wrote:Actually, UMD Holds more data and but is proprietary...
To clarify:
Single Layer UMD: 900MB
GD-ROM: 1.2GB
Dual Layer UMD: 1.8GB
I'll write a signature once I get some creativity and inspiration...