Game Engine

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Game Engine

Post by wearymemory »

GyroVorbis wrote:
wearymemory wrote:What exactly, about the OP's post, caused so many of these terrible replies?
While I would normally scold someone for not using Google, I'm more interested in learning what came over you assholes.
You bitch at people who use Google, and now you're going to bitch at people who bitched at somebody for starting a completely useless, barely coherent post about needing "a bttr engin than game maker"?

You bitch at people for asking logical, thoughtful questions when a quick Google search would have done the trick. This guy asked a moronic, idiotic question when a quick Google search would have done the trick.

Hypocrite.
While I absolutely hate those who rape God's true language (and firmly believe that those who do will burn in a fiery eternal hell), I'm not interested in bitching at the OP.

And when I do bitch at people for asking "logical, thoughful" questions, I'll usually provide a helpful link.

Most of the posts directed towards the OP were rather useless and unhelpful. Making fun of the OP lost its humor after the 1st or 2nd time.
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

My intention was not to be mean, I actually gave the guy my input.

My joke about the composition of his post was just that, a joke, I don't see why there's an issue here.

also if some of the other people weren't taking this guy seriously, can't you understand that a little? did you come to a forum and on your first or second posts and type your post in web mnemonics? I don't think so, i'm guessing you used somewhat clear and concise setences, communication is key on any good forum.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P
Bludklok
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: EnigmaCore
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, N64, Playstation1, Playstation2
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bludklok »

wearymemory wrote:What exactly, about the OP's post, caused so many of these terrible replies?
While I would normally scold someone for not using Google, I'm more interested in learning what came over you assholes.
Well lets take a look at his initial post shall we?
MrGameProgrammer wrote:I Need to get a free good 2d gam engin that is not game maker
a bttr one plz
thx
MrGameProgrammer
A couple things wrong with this...

1) As you stated he should have just googled it himself.
2) Why couldn't he take the extra 1.7 seconds and correct his spelling?
3) As Falco stated this has zero thought put into it. If your going to ask a question add some detail letting us know specifically what you want to know so we know what the fuck your talking about. Clearly there was no point at all for this thread to be made. Theres nothing here that couldn't have been easily answered by google.
4) Lastly the reason its so easy to make jokes about this guy is because he has shown us that he has the I.Q. level of a 10 year old.
Youtube
Website
Current project: Enigma Core
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Bludklok wrote: 4) Lastly the reason its so easy to make jokes about this guy is because he has shown us that he has the I.Q. level of a 10 year old.

In his defense. He may actually be a 10 year old. In which case I take back some of the comments I made earlier.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

Bludklok wrote:Well lets take a look at his initial post shall we?
MrGameProgrammer wrote:I Need to get a free good 2d gam engin that is not game maker
a bttr one plz
thx
MrGameProgrammer
A couple things wrong with this...

1) As you stated he should have just googled it himself.
This community may have useful information on the topic. This doesn't have to be a search and download question.
Bludklok wrote: 2) Why couldn't he take the extra 1.7 seconds and correct his spelling?
It's not as if you can't understand it, or do you need to go back to school? In some communities, spelling and punctuation isn't as high of a priority.
And I wasn't aware that the nth rule stated that "All users must flock immediately to any user who posts with horrific spelling or grammar and be an ass."

Now, if you would like me to decrypt posts like these in the future, then please say so. I would love to use my awesome cognitive abilities!
Bludklok wrote: 3) As Falco stated this has zero thought put into it. If your going to ask a question add some detail letting us know specifically what you want to know so we know what the fuck your talking about. Clearly there was no point at all for this thread to be made. Theres nothing here that couldn't have been easily answered by google.
Refer to 1. Someone could have also asked a variety of questions that may have helped the OP's request.
Bludklok wrote: 4) Lastly the reason its so easy to make jokes about this guy is because he has shown us that he has the I.Q. level of a 10 year old.
I know a 10 year old with an IQ that is higher than yours. Not that you asked.
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef

Post by Netwatcher »

Game Engine

Postby MrGameProgrammer on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 pm
I Need to get a free good 2d gam engin that is not game maker
a bttr one plz
thx
MrGameProgrammer
His name - "MrGameProgrammer" IS spelled correctly, he spelled game wrong ("gam") but spelled game maker right in his post.
he said he needs a 2D game engine that is not game maker, implying he doesn't want to do all the hard stuff like programming, while knowingly calling himself "MrGameProgrammer".
He ended his post with his name, "MrGameProgrammer", implying he knew the sarcasm in his post!

Think twice before you defend someone you don't even know and insult your fellow community members in the way.
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

Netwatcher wrote:
Game Engine

Postby MrGameProgrammer on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 pm
I Need to get a free good 2d gam engin that is not game maker
a bttr one plz
thx
MrGameProgrammer
His name - "MrGameProgrammer" IS spelled correctly, he spelled game wrong ("gam") but spelled game maker right in his post.
he said he needs a 2D game engine that is not game maker, implying he doesn't want to do all the hard stuff like programming, while knowingly calling himself "MrGameProgrammer".
He ended his post with his name, "MrGameProgrammer", implying he knew the sarcasm in his post!

Think twice before you defend someone you don't even know and insult your fellow community members in the way.
I could call myself God. It might make it true, but the thing is is that you don't know the OP either.
You obviously misunderstood his question or you have absolutely no idea what the hell a game engine is.
Also, spelling something right 1st, and then misspelling it the next time constitutes a typo.
And who says I have to be friends with all of you? You're certainly not mine.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
wearymemory
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by wearymemory »

Well, I usually refer people to "Hooked on Phonics," but seeing as you are truly devout, you can buy my newest book; "God's True Language, and none of that other Hebrew shit!" for a measly $10,000 USD! "This once in a life-time book will show you the way to true happiness. Follow our strict rules and you are sure to go to Heaven!"
An honorable source says:
"It's worth every penny!"
Another source says:
"Look, Ma! I'm in heaven!"
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

a bttr one plz
thx
MrGameProgrammer
I don't know of any, sorry. The last time I used one was Klik 'n' Play in the early '90s.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

MarauderIIC wrote: I don't know of any, sorry. The last time I used one was Klik 'n' Play in the early '90s.
Lmao. :lol:
Kilk 'n' Play Requirements wrote:Operating system: Windows 3.x
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Moosader
Game Developer
Game Developer
Current Project: Find out at: http://www.youtube.com/coderrach
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, NES, SNES, PS2, PS1, DS, PSP, X360, WII

Post by Moosader »

hurstshifter wrote:Also, RPG Maker for PS1 was pretty sweet :mrgreen:
Haha. I got so good at typing in dialog with the Ps1 controller... >.>

Only free ones I know of... Adventure Game Studio?
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

You could try The RPG Toolkit. It's basically a free version of RPG maker.
derbon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Big Nasty Enemies
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES SMS snes PC N64 PS2 Vectrex The Arcade Machine
Programming Language of Choice: C++, Perl

Post by derbon »

whats wrong with writing your own engine, you didnt say what kind of engine you want like a space invaders engine or an rpg engine or a platform game engine
i think the best paint program would be microsoft paint + paint.NET+graphics gale + Paint shop Pro 7 + photoshop CS3, it would be called Paint Gale Pro Shop.NET,

http://youtube.com/gonduda