Intellisense in visual studio 2008 c++

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: c++, c
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, PS2, SNES, SNES, PC NES
Programming Language of Choice: c, c++

Intellisense in visual studio 2008 c++

Post by short »

Hey guys I have a question about the intellisense in visual studio 2008 c++.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks, Image

It looks normal like it is supposed to, but when I learned java they had javadocs which made it so you could write documentation for a method such as (I'm approximating my memory)

Code: Select all

/**
** Author: Benjamin
** Description: This method does blah blah blah...
*/
It's been a long while since I've used java or javadoc, but anyone who has will know what I am talking about. The Author: Benjamin and subsequent following lines would show up in the intellisense, giving you on the spot method descriptions, etc... It would show whatever you wrote in the /** ... */ in the intellisense.

Does visual studio 2008 c++ have this functionality? I realize in my screen shot that I'm highlighting an opengl function, and its probably not available, and the best way is to just google the functions. I'm just curious if this is possible for my own written functions.
My github repository contains the project I am currently working on,
link: https://github.com/bjadamson
Apoc
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Re: Intellisense in visual studio 2008 c++

Post by Apoc »

It does... to some degree. It's definitely not on par with .NET intellisense, or Java's intellisense.

Hit Ctrl+Space to invoke the intellisense viewer thing. (I forget what it's called.)

Optionally; you can go buy the 'required' C++ developers plugin called Visual Assist X. (Any C/C++ dev, go download it [30 day trial IIRC], and tell me you don't love it.)
Warning: It has SERIOUS issues with C#, especially when combined with ReSharper. So I don't suggest installing it if you plan to work in .NET.
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by short »

Whoah it does look cool. I think its cool how it tries to help you fill out header names when your trying to remember how to spell them.

Honestly though, I don't see any screen shots of any documentation being added into the intellisense.

Don't get me wrong, it looks wicked cool. I'm just wondering if I am blind or they really don't have it. :
Apoc
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Apoc »

short0014 wrote:Whoah it does look cool. I think its cool how it tries to help you fill out header names when your trying to remember how to spell them.

Honestly though, I don't see any screen shots of any documentation being added into the intellisense.

Don't get me wrong, it looks wicked cool. I'm just wondering if I am blind or they really don't have it. :
They do have it, it's obviously not spectacular as there is no 'defined' way to document C/C++ code. It basically just shows the quote above the function (if one is available). It's not much, but hey, it's better than what VS provides now!
short
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by short »

Agreed! Thanks