The Colony

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

The Colony

Post by hurstshifter »

Has anyone caught this show on the Discovery Channel? I just watched it for the first time last night and found it to be extremely entertaining. Basically, a group of people are thrown into a post-apocalyptic environment and forced to figure out how to survive. On their side they have a carpenter, doctor, computer engineer, and many others. From time to time there are even motorcycle chain-gangs that show up and try to attack them/steal their shit mad max style. It's really amazing to see what these people come up with to defend themselves and make their lives easier. One thing I was truly amazed by is the gasifier generator they built that extracts gases from wood and pipes it directly into the carburetor of an old pressure washer engine which in turn powers two alternators that keep about a dozen daisy-chained car battery's juiced up...brilliant! I would recommend checking out an episode or two of this show.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: The Colony

Post by dandymcgee »

I saw this for the first time last night as well, although I didn't happen to catch the whole thing.

I think the idea is awesome, as well as entertaining. It's sort of like a whole new branch of reality TV.
Being a contestant could be fun as hell (depending upon your team members of course).

Do you know if there's a prize of some sort, and if it's given to an individual or the whole group?
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: The Colony

Post by eatcomics »

Oh is it really like a challenge situation, I thought it was like a "what if" with actors and such, cool I was planning on checking it out, but this makes me really wanna watch it :) And the car batteries idea is BA, I always wondered how people planned on having energy in a situation like that.