Computer reccomendations

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Computer reccomendations

Post by zeid »

I'm looking at getting a new computer but i've never been much of a hardware guy so don't really keep up to date. As such I figured I would abuse others good nature and spam this forum with requests for suggestions :)

The machine is going to be used for 3d modelling (particularly in ZBrush and 3dsMax), Next gen gamming (I'm going to be exploring high end graphics in realtime sometime for uni (Game making :P)). My understanding of Zbrush is that the more ram you have the higher level of detail/subdivision you can go up to with your models. So the computer I am hoping to make needs rather high end graphics, a really large amount of ram and a motherboard to support these things.

I looked into these things a bit and here is a vague outline of what I am looking to include at the moment:

Motherboard - Intel i7 range
Ram - at least 12 gigs
graphics card - Geforce GTX series
Hard drive - (low end) as little as 120gigs is fine (I wipe my computers regularly and keep backups on externals, so i never run out of room)
speakers from my old computer (I don't value my ears enough)
some mid range keyboard and mouse, preferably wireless
cheap case (looks don't matter at all, just functionality)
half decent monitor as I need to be looking at it all day (a second cheap 1 might also be an option)
no idea about fan and speakers, no need for CD/DVD drive at all...

I am hoping to spend somewhere between 2000-3000 max
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Computer reccomendations

Post by avansc »

Motherboard - Intel i7 range : good choice.
Ram - at least 12 gigs : for what?
graphics card - Geforce GTX series : i have a 260 and it does everything i need
Hard drive - (low end) as little as 120gigs is fine (I wipe my computers regularly and keep backups on externals, so i never run out of room) : id get 2 drives. a data drive. and then one that the is will be on. 10k rpm atleast
speakers from my old computer (I don't value my ears enough) : mkay
some mid range keyboard and mouse, preferably wireless : logitech mx revolution is one of the best you can get
cheap case (looks don't matter at all, just functionality) : dont skimp on a case. its more about thermodynamics than looks. antec make good cases.
half decent monitor as I need to be looking at it all day (a second cheap 1 might also be an option) : i got a 23'' acer 1080p for 180. falco has the same monitor and he will agree that its amazing.
no idea about fan and speakers, no need for CD/DVD drive at all...

I am hoping to spend somewhere between 2000-3000 max : you might as well get a mac for that money.
if you are in the states go to http://www.tigerdirect.com or now known as http://www.compusa.com
they are a solid company and have good prices.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=B69-1106
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=B69-1103

the second one is a better deal. you can add more ram. but you really dont need to.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

Sorry forgot to mention i'm in Australia :P that also makes the price more like 1600 - 2400ish American I think.

Thanks for the feedback by the way, those sites will probably help for ideas even though I'm not in America.

As for ram like I said its for my 3d modelling applications on more then enough occassions I have had my computer run out of virtual memory when I wasn't being careful. Also zbrush restricts me from getting to the LOD I see in alot of professionals work because of this.

Will definately remember your point about the case, don't want my computer melting on me.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Yeah, I'd say 6-8 gigs of RAM is already WAY more than enough. 12 just seems like a waste.

Processor and video card look like good choices, and that's what I'd worry about the most. (and of course cooling as avansc pointed out)
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Motherboard - Intel i7 range (Definitely. Go with the new generation. This will leave you open for future improvements)

Ram - at least 12 gigs (Whaaaat? Unless you are running several virtual machines on this box I would go with 4gigs. Also, you will need a 64bit OS to support any more than that anyways so plan for that)

graphics card - Geforce GTX series (On graphics cards I never go for the "top of the line". Usually if you take a step or two down from the top you will end up saving yourself a few hundred bucks and get just about the same performance. GTX is a great choice. Go with a 260 or 275 IMHO)

Hard drive - (low end) as little as 120gigs is fine (I wipe my computers regularly and keep backups on externals, so i never run out of room) (Don't cheap out on a hard drive. Personally I only trust Western Digi as I've had just about every other manufacturer crap out at least once. Go small if you think you don't need the room but get something that won't fail on you)

speakers from my old computer (I don't value my ears enough) (Those poor ears)

some mid range keyboard and mouse, preferably wireless (Logitech anything)

cheap case (looks don't matter at all, just functionality) (I like the cooler master centurions(sp?). Cheap, good-looking, spacious, well ventilated)

half decent monitor as I need to be looking at it all day (a second cheap 1 might also be an option) (Check newegg.com for their deals of the day. They always have great monitors going for cheap. I have to restrain myself from buying one just about once a week)

no idea about fan and speakers, no need for CD/DVD drive at all... (Get a Zalman heatsink, no exceptions)

I am hoping to spend somewhere between 2000-3000 max[/quote] (You probably won't need to spend much more than 1200 american for this beast).
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com