Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by dandymcgee »

GyroVorbis wrote: :shock:

How the hell do you have this confidential information?
I know EVERYTHING about you and this site Falco. I'm an AVID AiGD Fan!!!
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
AmbitiousWays
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by AmbitiousWays »

Hi my name is Todd I am a web developer and have knowledge in HTML 4.0, HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, and mysql. I have learned the concept of object oriented desin, i know basic java, i had an introduction to programming class in my courses for the degree im pursuing, which is Information Systems Management AS- Web Development Specialization that will transfer to a Gaming Simulation BA. I have known how to make websites and graphic design for years now and have self taught myself everything i know(Im only on the HTML course in my degree track). So i decided to get a head start on the game design pluss im gettingin impatient and want to be proficient sooner than later so why wait. I love games and always have my first favorite game was Chrono Trigger. It was my introduction to RPG's and to this day that is my favorite Genre. Though I am not limited to that. These days i find myself thinking more about how certain aspects in games were made through languages and what could have made it better. I am currently learning C# and plan to learn C++ as well but I am learning the xNA studio framework to build windows and 360 console games. I plan on one day creating an RPG that is totally new and unique to the gaming industry. My main areas of interest in a game are Physics and Collision, 3D Rendering, World interactivity and scale, as well as storyline. I ran across this project in my research and love the project and would love to share thoughts and talk about game development subjects.

Hope to get to know you all soon.

Deuces,

Todd

P.S. Bro the sarcasm and delivery of the how to get started videos was hilarious.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

AmbitiousWays wrote: I love games and always have my first favorite game was Chrono Trigger.

You're ok in my book then
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Pickzell
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Pickzell »

AmbitiousWays wrote:Hi my name is Todd I am a web developer and have knowledge in HTML 4.0, HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, and mysql. I have learned the concept of object oriented desin, i know basic java, i had an introduction to programming class in my courses for the degree im pursuing, which is Information Systems Management AS- Web Development Specialization that will transfer to a Gaming Simulation BA. I have known how to make websites and graphic design for years now and have self taught myself everything i know(Im only on the HTML course in my degree track). So i decided to get a head start on the game design pluss im gettingin impatient and want to be proficient sooner than later so why wait. I love games and always have my first favorite game was Chrono Trigger. It was my introduction to RPG's and to this day that is my favorite Genre. Though I am not limited to that. These days i find myself thinking more about how certain aspects in games were made through languages and what could have made it better. I am currently learning C# and plan to learn C++ as well but I am learning the xNA studio framework to build windows and 360 console games. I plan on one day creating an RPG that is totally new and unique to the gaming industry. My main areas of interest in a game are Physics and Collision, 3D Rendering, World interactivity and scale, as well as storyline. I ran across this project in my research and love the project and would love to share thoughts and talk about game development subjects.

Deuces,

Todd

P.S. Bro the sarcasm and delivery of the how to get started videos was hilarious.
LOL Thanks for the autobiography!

Anyways, welcome!
I'm an altogether bad-natured Cupid.
AmbitiousWays
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by AmbitiousWays »

Pickzell wrote:
AmbitiousWays wrote:Hi my name is Todd I am a web developer and have knowledge in HTML 4.0, HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, and mysql. I have learned the concept of object oriented desin, i know basic java, i had an introduction to programming class in my courses for the degree im pursuing, which is Information Systems Management AS- Web Development Specialization that will transfer to a Gaming Simulation BA. I have known how to make websites and graphic design for years now and have self taught myself everything i know(Im only on the HTML course in my degree track). So i decided to get a head start on the game design pluss im gettingin impatient and want to be proficient sooner than later so why wait. I love games and always have my first favorite game was Chrono Trigger. It was my introduction to RPG's and to this day that is my favorite Genre. Though I am not limited to that. These days i find myself thinking more about how certain aspects in games were made through languages and what could have made it better. I am currently learning C# and plan to learn C++ as well but I am learning the xNA studio framework to build windows and 360 console games. I plan on one day creating an RPG that is totally new and unique to the gaming industry. My main areas of interest in a game are Physics and Collision, 3D Rendering, World interactivity and scale, as well as storyline. I ran across this project in my research and love the project and would love to share thoughts and talk about game development subjects.

Deuces,

Todd

LOL Thanks for the autobiography!

Anyways, welcome!
lol just givin some baackground info.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Ahoy there, Todd, adsfaoi, Italian (I mean, Gemini ;) ), Zachary, John, and everyone else whose name I forgot!
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
MadPumpkin
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Octopia
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1-3, Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/++,Java,Py,LUA,XML
Location: C:\\United States of America\Utah\West Valley City\Neighborhood\House\Computer Desk

Post by MadPumpkin »

Hello Todd, Zachary and John.
Todd your post made the page load slow on my other PC, lol seriously im not kidding this page loaded slower then the rest.
Big Grizzle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: 2d side scrolling shooter.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: The SNES rules all!!! Super Aleste baby!
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by Big Grizzle »

Hello all,

Love the video series. Especially the advice on how to get into game development. I've been programming Python for about 2 years as a hobby. Nothing major. A few scripts, simple GUI apps. Trying to learn a few more languages(C++, Java, PHP). I always wanted to make a game(s) though. After all, calculating primes and simulating the moments after the big bang may be noble pursuits, but not really what what I use my laptop for. ;)

Peace

Big Grizzle
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
http://caveofgrizzle.blogspot.com/
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Netwatcher »

Fo' shizzle Big Grizzle, welcome to the hood. ;)
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Big Grizzle wrote:Hello all,

Love the video series. Especially the advice on how to get into game development. I've been programming Python for about 2 years as a hobby. Nothing major. A few scripts, simple GUI apps. Trying to learn a few more languages(C++, Java, PHP). I always wanted to make a game(s) though. After all, calculating primes and simulating the moments after the big bang may be noble pursuits, but not really what what I use my laptop for. ;)

Peace

Big Grizzle
Ahoy thar! I recently made a Python IRC bot, myself. It's a nice little language ;)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Big Grizzle wrote:Hello all,

Peace

Big Grizzle
Welcome Grizzle! I've been interesting in dabbling in a higher level language such as Python for some time now. Can you recommend any good resources for starting out?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Big Grizzle
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: 2d side scrolling shooter.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: The SNES rules all!!! Super Aleste baby!
Programming Language of Choice: Python

Post by Big Grizzle »

Hurstshifter, I bought this guy's book.

http://hetland.org/writing/instant-python.html

The examples are pretty easy and straight forward. Your profile says you know C++ which will make learning Python VERY easy for you. I recently started learning C++ and I feel lost. What you will find is that something that will take you 10 lines of code in C/C++ may only require 2-3 in Python. If you want to loop through a list/array it is so much easier than any of the other languages(C++, Java, PHP, javascript) I have toyed with...

Example:

Code: Select all

for x in aList:
    print x
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
http://caveofgrizzle.blogspot.com/
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

Welcome Big Grizzle!
hurstshifter wrote:I've been interesting in dabbling in a higher level language such as Python for some time now. Can you recommend any good resources for starting out?
Personally, I used this: http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programmin ... 1598631128 to learn Python for the Panda3D engine, and it was great. It uses really nice examples, and provides useful challenges for each section to really get you to think about what you learned.

Grizzle, I'd recommend Panda3D for games if you want to use Python for them. It's powerful, but not too overwhelming.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

...I've just been using the Python docs. Works fine...
Netwatcher
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: The Awesome Game (Actual title)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Cabbage, Ground beef
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Netwatcher »

Python was the first programming language i learned,
I've read this -> Dive into Python
together with the python documentation(s?).
(together with lots of help from the IT Bytes forums)
"Programmers are the Gods of their tiny worlds. They create something out of nothing. In their command-line universe, they say when it’s sunny and when it rains. And the tiny universe complies."
-Derek Powazek, http://powazek.com/posts/1655

blip.fm DJ profile - http://blip.fm/Noobay
current code project http://sourceforge.net/projects/vulcanengine/