Online vs retail prices ( US )

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Online vs retail prices ( US )

Post by Sanshin77 »

Hi I'm going to the US next year, and I looked at some online prices at gamestop.com. Specifically I looked at the prices for DS Stuff.
The system for 130USD and new games for 20-35USD. These prices are about 1/2 of what it would cost here in Norway, and I'm wondering:
Can I expect prices like these in retail stores or are they significantly higher?
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Online vs retail prices ( US )

Post by hurstshifter »

Sanshin77 wrote:Hi I'm going to the US next year, and I looked at some online prices at gamestop.com. Specifically I looked at the prices for DS Stuff.
The system for 130USD and new games for 20-35USD. These prices are about 1/2 of what it would cost here in Norway, and I'm wondering:
Can I expect prices like these in retail stores or are they significantly higher?

Nope, that would be about right. The DSlite retails for 129.99 and you can pick up the newer DSi for about 169.99 I believe. Games will range from 19.99 to 39.99 new, generally falling at about 30 bucks.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

Thats how much they are at retail. Also for things like computer parts, books, etc. it's cheaper to purchase online than it is in, for example, walmart.
Sanshin77
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: C++/SDL engine, zaActionWizardMagic game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Playstation 2, Nintendo DS, mac and PC

Post by Sanshin77 »

hurstshifter wrote: Nope, that would be about right. The DSlite retails for 129.99 and you can pick up the newer DSi for about 169.99 I believe. Games will range from 19.99 to 39.99 new, generally falling at about 30 bucks.

Wow, nice. Thanks. The DS is without region coding right? I want the Lite for the GBA slot.
Check out videos of my C++ games as well as my "Amateur Game Dev" series over at
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zanchill
ChrissyJ91
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS1/2
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by ChrissyJ91 »

As far as I am aware the gba (and its predecessors and the ds) is completely region free. I see no reason why the dslite would have region locking on its gba port when its never been region locked elsewhere. I think the only region locking is on DSi specific games wich have yet to be revealed.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

Sanshin77 wrote:
hurstshifter wrote: Nope, that would be about right. The DSlite retails for 129.99 and you can pick up the newer DSi for about 169.99 I believe. Games will range from 19.99 to 39.99 new, generally falling at about 30 bucks.

Wow, nice. Thanks. The DS is without region coding right? I want the Lite for the GBA slot.
DSlite is region free, yes.
lotios611
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Game engine for the PC, PSP, and maybe more.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Gameboy Micro

Post by lotios611 »

If your only going with the Lite for the GBA slot, get the older one. ALL models of the DS have a GBA slot. Actually, why else would you get a Lite?
"Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes, fsck, fsck, fsck, umount, sleep." - Unknown
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

lotios611 wrote:If your only going with the Lite for the GBA slot, get the older one. ALL models of the DS have a GBA slot. Actually, why else would you get a Lite?
The DSi is lacking a GBA slot. People may want the lite because...well... it isn't the size of a brick.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

JaxDragon wrote:
lotios611 wrote:If your only going with the Lite for the GBA slot, get the older one. ALL models of the DS have a GBA slot. Actually, why else would you get a Lite?
The DSi is lacking a GBA slot. People may want the lite because...well... it isn't the size of a brick.
Yup, I would definitely go for a lite. You'll pay much less for a used 1st generation DS (non-lite) but the screen is a bit dimmer, its much bulkier, and way uglier. I <3 my DSlite and won't be going to the DSi anytime soon specifically because of the lacking GBA slot.
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by JaxDragon »

hurstshifter wrote:Yup, I would definitely go for a lite. You'll pay much less for a used 1st generation DS (non-lite) but the screen is a bit dimmer, its much bulkier, and way uglier.
Also a lot of the accessories are still made for the DS lite.
jonemartin
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by jonemartin »

I don't know where you shop, but I usually buy online because things are cheaper. Sometimes shipping costs are so high, however, that the prices turn out to be comparable. But in any case, the components and systems are manufactured without any plan of how they will be sold, so I think they are all the same.

Buying a computer with an operating system as old as XP is now (6 or 7 years) seems like a mistake to me. Vista has always worked fine for me and there are certainly far fewer problems in this forum about Vista that there were about XP after it was released. In any case, the service pack will solve the remaining problems with the guts of Vista and the GUI is just something to get acquainted with, like with all OS's. The "bugginess" of Vista seems completely unsupported by the facts. It is a form of internet...
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by hurstshifter »

jonemartin wrote: Buying a computer with an operating system as old as XP is now (6 or 7 years) seems like a mistake to me. Vista has always worked fine for me and there are certainly far fewer problems in this forum about Vista that there were about XP after it was released. In any case, the service pack will solve the remaining problems with the guts of Vista and the GUI is just something to get acquainted with, like with all OS's. The "bugginess" of Vista seems completely unsupported by the facts. It is a form of internet...
I am not seeing how your response has anything to do with the relevance of this thread
K-Bal
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by K-Bal »

Maybe he is a Microsoft bot promoting Vista :D
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

That is funny because Microsoft does not even promote Vista anymore.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

maybe the script was written on a vista machine and it just finished processing, 4 years too late :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P