Schools`

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Re: Schools`

Post by avansc »

holy jews in a jam can, big post.

just curious about one part.

"I'll even go farther than that, and let's pretend for a moment that not only did this being exist, but I believed in it. I would still think it was fucked up that such a being would create a person who could think and feel, and then decide by its own standards what it should do."

im not sure what you were referring with this. but if its with the part about god deciding what we SHOULD do i think you must realize that this is not only a GOD idea. but also a parent.most parents believe their kids should do certain things. not that the kids always do that.

but if you were referring to the part where GOD bestows the choice on us then i see where you are coming from.

sorry if i completely mis understood the statement. ;)

ps: in no way am i referring to any particular GOD, just a deity figure. could be the flying spaghetti jew for all i care.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

avansc wrote: ps: in no way am i referring to any particular GOD, just a deity figure. could be the flying spaghetti jew for all i care.
:lol:
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

avansc wrote:holy jews in a jam can, big post.
I know. >.< I have this problem with finding it necessary to write down every little thought I had on every little quote. Unfortunately, it takes much longer to write (and, consequentially, read) than it does to think.
avansc wrote:just curious about one part.

"I'll even go farther than that, and let's pretend for a moment that not only did this being exist, but I believed in it. I would still think it was fucked up that such a being would create a person who could think and feel, and then decide by its own standards what it should do."

im not sure what you were referring with this. but if its with the part about god deciding what we SHOULD do i think you must realize that this is not only a GOD idea. but also a parent.most parents believe their kids should do certain things. not that the kids always do that.

but if you were referring to the part where GOD bestows the choice on us then i see where you are coming from.
I'm sure I convoluted the meaning in my attempt to word it. Basically, the point was that whether it's a parent or god, no one should act as an absolute judge of your character, nor make a decision that can so negatively affect you. Creating a being (regardless of how you do it) doesn't mean that you own them, and can do whatever you like.

Lastly (I hope), I just wanted to say that until now, I had been so wrapped up in my responses to Master Jake that I couldn't spend the time to read other responses (I've been at work, so I had to condense my time here as much as possible). And I just wanted to commend avansc, RyanPridgeon, and hurstshifter in particular for great posts that I not only agree with, but often found hilarious. I wasn't ignoring you guys. :)
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

agreed.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
RyanPridgeon
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: "Triangle"
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by RyanPridgeon »

My god, I thought this was going to turn into a flame war but it actually settled.

This has to be the most mature forum on the whole internet.
Ryan Pridgeon
C, C++, C#, Java, ActionScript 3, HaXe, PHP, VB.Net, Pascal
Music | Blog
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Master Jake wrote:I don't like the idea of public school, just the idea of learning.

For one, independent learning is always superior to being spoon-fed bullshit.

Second, most teachers suck at teaching and need to go back to school themselves.

Third, many of the people in a public school don't actually want to learn anyway. They are just "stuck up" teenagers who just want to party, get high, and do nothing to improve their lives or the world. This being said, they pose negativity on the public schooling environment which hurts those who actually DO want to learn.

Fourth, public schooling (for the reasons above, and several others) have given the word "Education" a bad name. Very few are interested in something when it is deemed "Educational" because they think back to their life in school and how that was deemed "Educational." Of course, they likely hated school; and, sub-consciously associating it with the word "Education" causes them to hate whatever was deemed "Educational."

Fifth, learning should be a choice, not a requirement. If you want to be a dumbass and fail at life, you should have the choice. The government forces people to go to school, wasting time and money on many people who aren't going anywhere in life because of their poor decisions and ethics. This reflects back onto point 3 about "these type of people" posing a negative environment onto others. This time and money could be better spent on educating people who actually want to be educated.

Sixth, public schools--like the government--are ran by corrupt people with corrupt politics. You can actually have negative points applied to your school record (you know, the record that your colleges look at) by a corrupt asshole "figure of authority" in a public school for no reason whatsoever. You can be framed into a crime by someone hiding drugs in your locker in a moment of distress, or just to get rid of you. So many things can go wrong, and once you've pissed off someone with high importance to authorital figures (such as a class pet)--say goodbye to happiness.

This is why self-taught programmers will always reign. They travel onto the magical internet looking for tutorials (a clever word for a free class that you teach yourself) because they WANT to learn it, not because they have to. Self-motivation combined with independent learning deems success.
Ramen to that brother... I don't really care about how my school is run, its all wrong, nothing I can do... but I don't like the fact that, back in my earlier years, I was a great student and I went out for sports and all that, but you know I wasn't particularly great (I wasn't horrible ok I was) but I never got the recognition the kids in sports did, as time went on I quit carrying, fell into bad habits and now I don't put a lot of effort into school (I do what I need to pass and keep my parents happy, but no more, I can't even figure out how to get my grades out of this rut because I've gone so long not trying... It really sucks and I still don't get credit where credit is due, I've been excelling in Reading and English for my whole freaking life, but have I ever, once been able to take an honors english class? nope and i don't know why, its not like my other grades are bad, you know all b's and the occasional C in something like spanish... but nope, I'm an outcast, I can't be put into anything that would make me look better I DON'T DO DRUGS!
/rant yeah that last part was random
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: GMN (C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PSP / Psp Emulation, GameCube, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by OmegaGDS »

eatcomics wrote:
Master Jake wrote:Ramen to that brother...
/rant yeah that last part was random
May I also have some 25 cent noodles? Ramen is good. Back on topic... My school rocked until this year. It seems that as soon as I turned upperclassman that they wanted to ruin my fun. I'm going to two schools next year :). mwa ha ha ha. A tech school for half a day to learn what I don't already know about AI and Game programming, and my regular high school.