Why do people hate teams?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: Why do people hate teams?

Post by JaxDragon »

bros before hoe's

I've had a team of 3 for 6 months now. Sure we havn't done anything productive, but we're together and will start working as soon as I get the engine semi-usable.
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by hurstshifter »

Falco, is Peter's girlfriend literally 14 or did you mean that in the sense of her maturity? Either way, that totally sucks.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

hurstshifter wrote:Falco, is Peter's girlfriend literally 14 or did you mean that in the sense of her maturity? Either way, that totally sucks.
Literally 14.
Trask wrote:I had a feeling that the 'team' is down to it's nitty gritty in terms of members
No, not at all. Those of us who are passionate about the project have been rocking the house in the super secret private development forum on these boards. You'll see. ;)

I think that aamesxdavid summed it up best.
vargonian
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by vargonian »

I guess I'm not saying anything new here: In every instance in which I've been on a team that rocked, it's been almost entirely due to pure luck of the draw. Most teams I'm a part of have major issues. Conflicting ideas/goals, lack of motivation of some team members... it's enough to make me want to throw my hands in the air and say "Screw it, I'd rather scale back and work for myself than suffer the nightmare of working on a team." Realistically I'll need at least one or two others on my team, though.

I also am not a fan of someone who takes a "designer" role on a small team. If you're on a team of 2-3 people and one of them has the exclusive responsibility of being the "designer", you're getting used. I once naively joined a small team consisting of me (programmer), an artist (who was quite good, by the way), and a "designer". While the designer was a nice guy and contributed plenty of ideas and a solid vision, it tore me apart every day to slave for hours on end implementing ideas that I could just as easily have come up with on my own. My bitterness grew every time he demanded a feature that I knew would create difficult technical challenges for me to solve. Why was I slaving away for someone else's ideas? I have a problem with people who overvalue themselves this way; I'm not saying that designers are never needed, but in this case, his contributions were not providing much added value to the team despite the fact that he expected an equal share of any profits.

Ultimately I had a heart-to-heart with the team and shared these thoughts, and left (undoubtedly fueling their own team horror story ;) ). Last I heard, the designer was starting to teach himself how to code. Good for him. :)
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

vargonian wrote: I also am not a fan of someone who takes a "designer" role on a small team. If you're on a team of 2-3 people and one of them has the exclusive responsibility of being the "designer", you're getting used. I once naively joined a small team consisting of me (programmer), an artist (who was quite good, by the way), and a "designer". While the designer was a nice guy and contributed plenty of ideas and a solid vision, it tore me apart every day to slave for hours on end implementing ideas that I could just as easily have come up with on my own. My bitterness grew every time he demanded a feature that I knew would create difficult technical challenges for me to solve. Why was I slaving away for someone else's ideas? I have a problem with people who overvalue themselves this way; I'm not saying that designers are never needed, but in this case, his contributions were not providing much added value to the team despite the fact that he expected an equal share of any profits.
I couldn't possibly agree with that statement more. I also have a never ending bias against "designers." One guy should not dream up the whole game and tell his slaves what to go implement. I call bullshit.
thbp
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: Learn
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC/PS/GC/DC
Programming Language of Choice: C(++)/Perl

Post by thbp »

GyroVorbis wrote:
vargonian wrote: I also am not a fan of someone who takes a "designer" role on a small team. If you're on a team of 2-3 people and one of them has the exclusive responsibility of being the "designer", you're getting used. I once naively joined a small team consisting of me (programmer), an artist (who was quite good, by the way), and a "designer". While the designer was a nice guy and contributed plenty of ideas and a solid vision, it tore me apart every day to slave for hours on end implementing ideas that I could just as easily have come up with on my own. My bitterness grew every time he demanded a feature that I knew would create difficult technical challenges for me to solve. Why was I slaving away for someone else's ideas? I have a problem with people who overvalue themselves this way; I'm not saying that designers are never needed, but in this case, his contributions were not providing much added value to the team despite the fact that he expected an equal share of any profits.
I couldn't possibly agree with that statement more. I also have a never ending bias against "designers." One guy should not dream up the whole game and tell his slaves what to go implement. I call bullshit.
Same here really from no experience but from other things thate people come up with the ideas but really don't contribute. A "designer" role should be filled in by a whiteboard marker and a earaser
XNA ========== eXtreme Nuclear Atomic
Wrestlers have three motion: side 2 side , circle, and stalk
Master Jake
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Master Jake »

thbp wrote: A "designer" role should be filled in by a whiteboard marker and a earaser
Lol, good one :lol: 8-)
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Bakkon »

GyroVorbis wrote:Those of us who are passionate about the project have been rocking the house in the super secret private development forum on these boards. You'll see. ;)
You're such a cocktease. :I
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Bakkon wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Those of us who are passionate about the project have been rocking the house in the super secret private development forum on these boards. You'll see. ;)
You're such a cocktease. :I
Rofl. :lol: Seriously though, I concur.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

kamokow wrote:Small teams can be beneficial some times, but they are also stressful, because some team members wont feel like working, or will not actually work for some other reason. Also, some team members will have a different idea of how they want the project to turn out which can cause issues within the team. Also, comparing programming to a science project is not proving a point at all. A science project will take a few weeks, while developing a piece of software will take months, or years (depending on what it is). Kthx.

edit: just read GyroVorbis' post, i didnt see it :-/
Or, in my case, your science project is your programming project done solo and you're a mega win. WHAT, WHAT!?
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Arce wrote: Or, in my case, your science project is your programming project done solo and you're a mega win. WHAT, WHAT!?
Tru dat.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Thel
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by Thel »

I know a few guys (not personally) who started dev teams and the reason is because they don’t know how to code so they employ coders to do all the hard work. Their excuse is usually that they focus on developing their people skills hence why they have set out to start a team because only those who possess people skills can start a team. Keep in mind that these guys are young teenagers who are just too lazy to even learn to code or do technical stuff on the PC or Mac and have no idea of the hard work that goes into developing a video game that meets the standards of commercial video games today. Maybe that’s a bit judgmental of me but that’s how I perceive it. You get a lot of these types on forums for IDEs such as DarkBASIC Pro. If it’s just a load of kids who want to develop an RPG in RPG Maker for fun then that’s cool. If you seek to earn a job in the video game industry then you really ought to get as much chances to work on a team for any good developer to employ you. Well that’s common sense.
jonemartin
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by jonemartin »

I think it's annoying, which is most likely the reaction most Habs fans are going for.

"Annoy the hell out of the opposing team and everyone watching the game on TV. That'll show 'em. We're Habs fans."
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Bakkon »

jonemartin wrote:I think it's annoying, which is most likely the reaction most Habs fans are going for.

"Annoy the hell out of the opposing team and everyone watching the game on TV. That'll show 'em. We're Habs fans."
Bot Strike: The Third
hurstshifter
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES

Post by hurstshifter »

Bakkon wrote:
jonemartin wrote:I think it's annoying, which is most likely the reaction most Habs fans are going for.

Bot Strike: The Third
Lock all your doors and windows. Hide your children. Where will he strike next?
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
http://www.thenerdnight.com