Im a noob i know

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Re: Im a noob i know

Post by Live-Dimension »

avansc wrote:you CAN do pretty much anything without ever using memory management. and "typedef", PS: type def is NOT a storage container, its just a tool for making synonyms.

The C99 standard says this,

"The typedef specifier is called a "storage-class specifier" of syntactical convenience only."

i really think you have a misconception of C.
I know what typedef is. I don't see anywhere where I say typedef is any kind of "storage container".

Pointers are a type of memory management. Atleast to me, as they point directly to memory locations though i'm probably wrong to the starndard's definition of memory management. Every one library or SDK I have come across has used pointers somewhere. You could always do your own low-level stuff but you'd hopefully know all about pointers by that stage. Besides, you can simply write more efficient programs using pointers.

We're straying from the subject though.

ZachO - You can either start directly from C/C++ though it's a complicated way of starting programming, as you've pointed out. Or you can start with easier languages and work your way up. The choice is yours.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

sorry, you are right you did not say it is a storage container. but by your comment i just assumed you didnt know what typedef does.

"Pointers are a type of memory management. Atleast to me, as they point directly to memory locations"

so what does &var do?

and no, thats not mem management, thats just knowing what the reference operator is.
dont take this the wrong way. but your answers are exactly why people should NOT start with a higher language.

ZachO, yea, you can do whatever you want. and yeah, in some respects C#, java might be easier.
just remember, practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent. some people dont care what goes
on in the background, and maybe you dont always have to, but then the shit hits the fan they dont know what to do
because they dont understand the fundimentals.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular
Current Project: GMN (C++)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PSP / Psp Emulation, GameCube, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by OmegaGDS »

I see your point, but I do support learning high level languages as a first language, but only if there are people like us around to help people learn them when they get stuck. Unfortunately, I probably have sloppy prog. habbits that might eventually catch up to me
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac
Current Project: Fully Autonomous Robot
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3

Post by davidthefat »

Good luck, I was first over whelmed by C++ when I was like 11, but I tried again when I was 12 and took it step by step, taking little bites, I did it, but now Im 16, I still need to go back and try to understand C++ better because obviously as you get older, your perspective changes. I knew some thing worked when I was younger, but now I understand HOW it works. 2 different things, know it works and knowing how it works. and using what you know and putting practical use to it is another step forward... To be quite honest with you, I know what pointers are and how they work but IDK how to use them in practical applications...

And one advice on Highschool, you will face it soon, there are those who will make fun of you and call you a nerd and stuff and there are other that are impressed like you are a genius or something, ignore those who make fun of you. :roll: If you see me in real life, you would never think I program... I usually get comments on me being buff or looking older... Well just have fun with programming, either you love it or hate it.
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OmegaGDS »

I feel so left out, I didn't start computer programming until i was 14 or so... seems that everyone tried it at like 11 or 12. Of course, I have a success story. I'm guessing that my perspective on it was better suited when I started
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

OmegaGDS wrote:I feel so left out, I didn't start computer programming until i was 14 or so... seems that everyone tried it at like 11 or 12. Of course, I have a success story. I'm guessing that my perspective on it was better suited when I started
14 is still young.
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OmegaGDS »

Well I mean, that's when I just started getting into it (Watching others on YouTube and stuff, not actually doing much). It wasn't really until the middle sophomore year that I got into actual programming, but hey! I know two languages! But still, I got a ways to go before I can be a game developer ;)
davidthefat
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by davidthefat »

OmegaGDS wrote:Well I mean, that's when I just started getting into it (Watching others on YouTube and stuff, not actually doing much). It wasn't really until the middle sophomore year that I got into actual programming, but hey! I know two languages! But still, I got a ways to go before I can be a game developer ;)
Why dont you try learning OpenGl or something? or since you know Java, try using AWT or Swing. Im a sophomore too ;)
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OmegaGDS »

Actually, I'm a junior, but heck, we be budz. Yeah, I use Swing in java
Live-Dimension
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC - Windows 7
Programming Language of Choice: c++;haxe

Post by Live-Dimension »

OmegaGDS wrote:I feel so left out, I didn't start computer programming until i was 14 or so... seems that everyone tried it at like 11 or 12. Of course, I have a success story. I'm guessing that my perspective on it was better suited when I started
I started at 15, but it's been an on and off affair. Only in the last few weeks have I started dipping into c++. 5 years it took for me to get here :P So don't worry about it ;)
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

OmegaGDS wrote:Actually, I'm a junior, but heck, we be budz. Yeah, I use Swing in java
look up jogl, its open gl for java. ive used it some. its actually very capible.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I started at 14 too :D the age doesn't matter, it the effort you put in and how much you enjoy doing it...
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OmegaGDS »

avansc wrote:
OmegaGDS wrote:Actually, I'm a junior, but heck, we be budz. Yeah, I use Swing in java
look up jogl, its open gl for java. ive used it some. its actually very capible.
Hey, I haven't heard of jogl before. I will definately do that. Thanks :)
OmegaGDS
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by OmegaGDS »

eatcomics wrote:
I started at 14 too :D the age doesn't matter, it the effort you put in and how much you enjoy doing it...
I definitely agree. I really enjoy programming :)
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

It's nice to see someone ~12yo is getting into programming. I'm not really the person to ask about a "starting language" (I started with C++), but I've heard a lot. Python is probably a good idea if you want to get into games, because it has stuff like PyGame, but it also allows you to use it for other things that may catch your interest (which, believe me, will probably happen often). From what I've heard it's a bit easier than C++, but it also isn't too high-level (Visual Basic is NOT where you want to start...). So try Python; it'll help you in the long-term ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.