[Solved] PSP & SDL problem

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: PSP & SDL problem

Post by Falco Girgis »

short wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:By the way, guys. How is the SDL performance on PSP? I'm guessing fairly poor?
I'm also curious, my brother 14 yr old brother has a psp and i might jack it for a few months this summer. I will be using opengl for the graphics and if the audio/input/everything else ports to the psp I wonder how the performance of SDL with everything that is not graphics is on the psp.
If you're using GL (not OpenGL, it's PSP's own little version) on the PSP, you really shouldn't be trying to do SDL as well.

SDL is an entire layer of abstraction above all the input/sounds things, which on a PC is written from scratch, but usually on consoles like DC and PSP are hacked wrappers back to libraries like libOggVorbis that you're better off using directly instead of through SDL.

The only thing that I think SDL will be useful for on PSP is video, to be honest. And that's just because there is some pretty intense low level shit that isn't abstracted away from the programmer like twiddling textures, setting up framebuffers, etc. There's a lot of room to screw up with GL on the PSP. Trust me, I would know. XD
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

GyroVorbis wrote:
short wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:By the way, guys. How is the SDL performance on PSP? I'm guessing fairly poor?
I'm also curious, my brother 14 yr old brother has a psp and i might jack it for a few months this summer. I will be using opengl for the graphics and if the audio/input/everything else ports to the psp I wonder how the performance of SDL with everything that is not graphics is on the psp.
If you're using GL (not OpenGL, it's PSP's own little version) on the PSP, you really shouldn't be trying to do SDL as well.

SDL is an entire layer of abstraction above all the input/sounds things, which on a PC is written from scratch, but usually on consoles like DC and PSP are hacked wrappers back to libraries like libOggVorbis that you're better off using directly instead of through SDL.

The only thing that I think SDL will be useful for on PSP is video, to be honest. And that's just because there is some pretty intense low level shit that isn't abstracted away from the programmer like twiddling textures, setting up framebuffers, etc. There's a lot of room to screw up with GL on the PSP. Trust me, I would know. XD
Just out of curiousity, do you use Cygwin with the PSP toolchain to build PSP apps? I know you can do it without it, just wondering if you use it or not.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

MrDeathNote wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
short wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:

Just out of curiousity, do you use Cygwin with the PSP toolchain to build PSP apps? I know you can do it without it, just wondering if you use it or not.
Actually, no. At first (Adventures in Game Development series), all of my DC (and PSP for awhile) stuff was compiled with GCC through Cygwin on my Windows XP machine.

Since then I've built a Kubuntu server, and I can compile/run all of the toolchains natively. I compile my projects/code by SSH-ing into my devbox and running Make.
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

GyroVorbis wrote:
MrDeathNote wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
short wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:

Actually, no. At first (Adventures in Game Development series), all of my DC (and PSP for awhile) stuff was compiled with GCC through Cygwin on my Windows XP machine.

Since then I've built a Kubuntu server, and I can compile/run all of the toolchains natively. I compile my projects/code by SSH-ing into my devbox and running Make.
Cool, i'm going to eventually make a psp game and i've been toying with whether to develop it on my windows machine or my linux laptop. I'll prob end up just using cygwin because my linux laptop is a huge peice of crap.

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Re: [Solved] PSP & SDL problem

Post by Falco Girgis »

Have a look at "MinPSPw." It's a minimalist PSP toolchain compiled natively for Windows. I actually screwed around with it for a bit before I had my box built. It was pretty damn nice and easy to use.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

I realize I'm saying this a day before you upload the videos, but if it's not too late nor a pain in the butt, I know that I'd be interested in seeing what your process is to get your project compiled to all 3 platforms. You went over the method between the PC/DC, but that was pre-lib.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by MrDeathNote »

GyroVorbis wrote:Have a look at "MinPSPw." It's a minimalist PSP toolchain compiled natively for Windows. I actually screwed around with it for a bit before I had my box built. It was pretty damn nice and easy to use.
Cool, i'll have a look at it.

Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team

Post by Falco Girgis »

Trask wrote:I realize I'm saying this a day before you upload the videos, but if it's not too late nor a pain in the butt, I know that I'd be interested in seeing what your process is to get your project compiled to all 3 platforms. You went over the method between the PC/DC, but that was pre-lib.
Heh. Heh. Heh.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

Haha, I knew I should of had more faith.
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

GyroVorbis wrote:Heh. Heh. Heh.
I'm literally giggling like a school girl right now.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Bakkon wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Heh. Heh. Heh.
I'm literally giggling like a school girl right now.
I chuckled intensely :D