What projects are you currently working on?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: What projects are you currently working on?

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Radik782 wrote:Right now I'm working on a tile based level editor, I put up my first dev blog on YT, but I've had to split it into two parts.
The first part is a run down on why I'm replacing my old editor and the features of my new one, and the second part is a little look under the hood and some general advice to beginners which may or may not be terrible. :S

The editor is intended to create maps to be used in multiple games, and as such I have decided to not include any significant kind of game specific logic (collisions, etc). It's just about the rendering!
Individual game editors utilising these maps come next hopefully. ;)
Liked, Favorited, Subscribed. An awesome Editor fo sheezy! :)
Radik782
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Creating a general purpose 2D tile editor.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, PS1, Megadrive.

Post by Radik782 »

short wrote:Radik, your editor looks REALLY good! I'm down with the video as well :)
GroundUpEngine wrote:Liked, Favorited, Subscribed. An awesome Editor fo sheezy! :)
Thanks! :)
I'm going to spend a bit of time soon experimenting with the video editor I'm using (kdenlive), so hopefully future vids will be a little better made as well!
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Radik782 wrote:
Thanks! :)
I'm going to spend a bit of time soon experimenting with the video editor I'm using (kdenlive), so hopefully future vids will be a little better made as well!

Subbed =D
zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by zeid »

So I have assignment work that's eating my time. That said at least it's good assignment work.
Here's a screenshot of the part I quickly put together last night. It reads in and generates a height map from a .bmp file. I still have to add a detail texture and standard texture and perhaps some optimising techniques for bonus marks.
All geometry is being stored in VBO's. This is amongst the simplest part of the assignment. The rest of the assignment is;
* Adding 3d sound using openAL (which I have done before so shouldn't be a problem).
* Using a geometry shader to adjust the level of detail of objects with displacement maps depending on their distance to the viewer.
* Loading Quake 3 level files and use a BSP (Binary space partition) tree to optimise rendering.
as well as some little extra's so that the tutor can easily see whats going on.
This is one of my favourite units I have had in uni so far seeing as we get to do a lot of fun 3d oriented things.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC

Post by GroundUpEngine »

zeid wrote:So I have assignment work that's eating my time. That said at least it's good assignment work.
Here's a screenshot of the part I quickly put together last night. It reads in and generates a height map from a .bmp file. I still have to add a detail texture and standard texture and perhaps some optimising techniques for bonus marks.
All geometry is being stored in VBO's. This is amongst the simplest part of the assignment. The rest of the assignment is;
* Adding 3d sound using openAL (which I have done before so shouldn't be a problem).
* Using a geometry shader to adjust the level of detail of objects with displacement maps depending on their distance to the viewer.
* Loading Quake 3 level files and use a BSP (Binary space partition) tree to optimise rendering.
This is one of my favourite units I have had in uni so far seeing as we get to do a lot of fun 3d oriented things.
Damn! That sounds awesome, very cool assignment! :)
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

GroundUpEngine wrote:
zeid wrote:So I have assignment work that's eating my time. That said at least it's good assignment work.
Damn! That sounds awesome, very cool assignment! :)
Ditto, sounds like fun to me!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
Scrye
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Euphoric Fantasy
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, XBOX360, Sega Dreamcast, Sega Genesis

Post by Scrye »

5/13/2010, 4:44 AM:

About 3-4 hours ago I randomly started a new project straight out of being bored. My super beast awesome sex mate knows PHP, so I have an engine programming ( myself ), and a web developer.

Have I gotten somewhere? am I being xXStillAVirginXx? I haven't slept because I've been hardcore CPP'ing for 3-4 hours, and I cannot be stopped.
-BOOM!
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

nice sig, but IDK if its okay on these forums... at least do some kind of spoiler and say NSFW, although at work those marked NSFW are the only emails I would look at :D
Scrye
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Scrye »

eatcomics wrote:nice sig, but IDK if its okay on these forums... at least do some kind of spoiler and say NSFW, although at work those marked NSFW are the only emails I would look at :D
:\, Haven't gotten any complaints so far. If I do, I'll be sure to take em' down.

And so far I have a simple sprites loader and collision detection with a view 32x32 tiles, you sure you want that spoiler?
Or do you mean just talk about what I'm going to do, o.o.
cypher1554R
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by cypher1554R »

Scrye wrote:
eatcomics wrote:nice sig, but IDK if its okay on these forums... at least do some kind of spoiler and say NSFW, although at work those marked NSFW are the only emails I would look at :D
:\, Haven't gotten any complaints so far. If I do, I'll be sure to take em' down.
I personally don't have a problem with it, but some people use these forums @work.
It might create a moment of awkwardness for them.
Not to mention it's larger in size than your posts.

You might also consider changing the avatar pic. For your own good. It gives a negative shade to your personality description.

Anyway, welcome to ES forums. :)

Spoilers are worth mil words, so don't even open mouth, just let your code do the talking. ;)
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Scrye wrote:

And so far I have a simple sprites loader and collision detection with a view 32x32 tiles, you sure you want that spoiler?
LOL I meant poiler as in tags around the images, so users can only see the images if they click on the spoiler, but I don't think the forums have spoilers anymore, but IDK...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
lol

yep it does just need spoiler tags

Code: Select all

[spoiler]stuff[/spoiler]
Scrye
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Scrye »

eatcomics wrote:
Scrye wrote:

LOL I meant poiler as in tags around the images, so users can only see the images if they click on the spoiler, but I don't think the forums have spoilers anymore, but IDK...

lol

[spoiler]stuff[/spoiler]
I'm sorry, it's just that you didn't explain it very well.
-------------------------------------------------------
Euphoric Fantasy
Better description of this project -

What we have so far:
A simple level editor made in about an hour, and a game engine with a sprite loader and collision detection system. (We're getting finished with the website real quick, so we wont have to do that later)

What we want:

I'm looking to program a kick ass game

Who is we:

Lewis and I, I and Lewis

What inspired us:

Celine Dion

Pictures:

Adding some when it's actually worthy of showing

- suggested to-do by Falco Girgis himself A.K.A Sexy beast man
Scrye
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Scrye »

Scrye wrote:
eatcomics wrote:
Scrye wrote:

lol

[spoiler]stuff[/spoiler]
I'm sorry, it's just that you didn't explain it very well.
-------------------------------------------------------
Euphoric Fantasy
Better description of this project -

What we have so far:
A simple level editor made in about an hour, and a game engine with a sprite loader and collision detection system. (We're getting finished with the website real quick, so we wont have to do that later)

What we want:

I'm looking to program a kick ass game

Who is we:

Lewis and I, I and Lewis

What inspired us:

Celine Dion

Pictures:

Adding some when it's actually worthy of showing

- suggested to-do by Falco Girgis himself A.K.A -removed-
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

double post :D and yeah sorry about not explaining that well...

Anyways, DOOM was horribly coded, so I started rewriting it

about halfway through rewriting the tile loading, I realized how bad it was, so now I'm going to find a good project structure, and I'll start rewriting when I've found something I think will work :D
Genesis
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Genesis »

Project Name: Genesis Development Kit (GDK)
Project Start Date: September 2009
Platform: PC
Technologies: C++/C++0x, OpenGL, DirectX 9.0 (Windows Build), OIS (Cross-Platform), Win32 API (Windows Build)
Tools: Code::Blocks, MinGW/GCC

Background: GDK (previously named Seotern Engine) is the early beginnings of a platform independent API for building 3D games, with emphasis on MMORPGs. The project is an accumulation of work and experiments done over a period of 2 years which is finally being integrated into a single reusable framework.

The engine currently loads placeholder content from an MMORPG called ROSE Online to demonstrate and test the framework as development progresses.

I am the sole programmer and designer for the project, but aspire to form a development team in the future as the project expands.

Screenshots & Videos:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6PU6a8xcGX0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6PU6a8xcGX0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5BcbDpru8Ok&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5BcbDpru8Ok&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Last edited by Genesis on Mon May 17, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.