Off to college tips....

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

zeid
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Re: Off to college tips....

Post by zeid »

but take it from someone who has stuggled alot,
If lifes problmes are an onion, and you peel away at it, right smack dab in the middle you'll find booze and bitches
I've been there :P I did way too much drinking (and other drugs)/women, however at the same time I can't really say stay away from it all together, because now that I have balanced out on the drinking (no more other drugs)/women I'm really enjoying everything and not being a deadbeat. Also I have a lot of fond memories, you learn a lot by getting screwed over by doing too much drinking/women. Finding the balance is hard especially when your young and the weight of the world hasn't crushed your fragile little spirit. So I guess what I will say is take your higher education seriously from day one, just because a class seems easy doesn't mean you should treat it as pointless, or as an excuse to slack on the work.

Using some super simple game theory:
Overly easy for your skill level = Boring
Right challenge for skill level = Fun
Overly hard for your skill level = Frustrating

If you are finding a class easy and it bores you, suck it up and stop bitching. Get the highest mark you can get for it. You will be surprised how little real brain power amounts to grades in the worlds current education systems, it's almost all about application. A lot of lecturers/teachers teach in a very unappealing way to problem solvers, they throw facts at you. Some people enjoy this it means you can memorise a whole bunch of things and then regurgitate it giving you a top mark (most of them then proceed to forget all these things as soon as they pass the exam). This kind of teaching is probably good for some fields, I'm sure doctors need to have a mind like a database that stores as much symptom, treatment and disease knowledge as possible. But if you are looking into programming the most important part isn't memorising syntax, you need ingenuity.
Axolotl Pop!
Or, try it for free.

For many more free games online visit www.sam-zeid.com
Bakkon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Bakkon »

avansc wrote:I was just pulling fun at the "everyone".
I gotcha. I was dodging the accusation. :P
trufun202 wrote:Ya know...at times I feel that I missed out on portions of college by living at home. Suddenly, I feel much better.
I only lived in the dorms my freshmen year. There's pros and cons to each, but I think I like living at home more.
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

Bakkon wrote:
trufun202 wrote:Ya know...at times I feel that I missed out on portions of college by living at home. Suddenly, I feel much better.
I only lived in the dorms my freshmen year. There's pros and cons to each, but I think I like living at home more.
I prefer dorms personally. I have a cleaner/larger living space (with working A/C!), a tons of friends just down the hall to hang out with, and I don't have to cook.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
Arce
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick
Jealous Self-Righteous Prick

Post by Arce »

Had my first college class on Monday. Was god aweful! Lmao
<qpHalcy0n> decided to paint the office, now i'm high and my hands hurt
programmerinprogress
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: some crazy stuff, i'll tell soon :-)
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++!

Post by programmerinprogress »

zeid wrote:Do 1 elective unit that is full of girls. Computer science has like a 1:100 girl to guy ratio..
I know this is from the 1st page of the post, but all I have to say is, I wish I had optional modules this year!

that 1:100 girl to guy ratio is no exaggeration, and frankly it's a pain the neck!

I also live in student accomodation (a house of 6 people, well sorta, I'm leaving at the end of this week) it's a unique experience.

I have one piece of advice, don't neglect time to do stuff for yourself, with work, and people constantly egging you on to go to a club till 3am, you find it kinda hard to do your own projects, plus you spend way too much and end up eating economy noodles and falling asleep in lectures (sadly, the 1st one is from experience, the second one, experience from friends and... well I drifted in and out of conciousness a couple of time this year :lol: )

time at university (or college, whatever) is only as fun/enriching as you make it, if you just go to the lectures and stay in your room doing nothing, staring at the walls, you probably won't get anything out of it, but overdo it and get your priorities wrong and your're also kinda screwed!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I can program pretty well, it's my compiler that needs convincing!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a joke to lighten to mood :D

I wander what programming language anakin skywalker used to program C3-PO's AI back on tatooine? my guess is Jawa :P