E-Newsletter?

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: E-Newsletter?

Post by pritam »

aamesxdavid wrote:I forgot to mention one more thing that would help the newsletter, were anyone interested: art.

Anyone who can make a logo, or any kind of pictures for it, it would look prettier.

Think about it.
I need a list of some sort of what you want/need, I imagine you have something in mind for the logo already, if so send me a sketch of it and I'll get started on that.
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

pritam wrote:I haven't followed this thread entirely but it sounds interesting and promising and I'd like to contribute with an article about software for creating art.

And if no one else wants to make art for the layout, I can help out with that as well, at least something basic to get the newsletter started.
That would be amazing. Anything anyone can do to help get this off the ground is great. If we make a really awesome first issue, we'll show the true potential of this, and get some more interest.
Daxtorax wrote:I'm assuming there's still room for another article in this issue? My friend and I have been working on a game for several years and have been waiting to unveil it, is it alright if I just finish typing it up and send it, with some screenshots your way aamesxdavid?
Yes, and more yes.
eatcomics wrote:sweet cause this topic has been quite the standstill, I'm not sure if others have gotten articles in or not
None yet, we just need a few more to make a solid issue.
pritam wrote:I need a list of some sort of what you want/need, I imagine you have something in mind for the logo already, if so send me a sketch of it and I'll get started on that.
I don't really have a logo idea, the title that I used was really just text with a textured background, and the little graphic at the top left of this forum. Also, if you have any thoughts on general layout, I'd be interested to work something out. I've made a few basic templates, but it's definitely lacking in the artistic department.
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by pritam »

aamesxdavid wrote:
pritam wrote:I need a list of some sort of what you want/need, I imagine you have something in mind for the logo already, if so send me a sketch of it and I'll get started on that.
I don't really have a logo idea, the title that I used was really just text with a textured background, and the little graphic at the top left of this forum. Also, if you have any thoughts on general layout, I'd be interested to work something out. I've made a few basic templates, but it's definitely lacking in the artistic department.
Alright, I'll put together something then for the logo, is the official newsletter "The Chaos Right E-Newsletter" or did I miss something?

Also, can I see the templates? Anything of the sort would help.
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

pritam wrote:Alright, I'll put together something then for the logo, is the official newsletter "The Chaos Right E-Newsletter" or did I miss something?

Yeah, the templates I made just said "The Chaos Rift Newsletter". Or E-Newsletter, doesn't matter. The templates are at home, I can send them tonight.
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by pritam »

aamesxdavid wrote:
pritam wrote:Alright, I'll put together something then for the logo, is the official newsletter "The Chaos Right E-Newsletter" or did I miss something?

Yeah, the templates I made just said "The Chaos Rift Newsletter". Or E-Newsletter, doesn't matter. The templates are at home, I can send them tonight.
Sounds great :) Newsletter works better also imo.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Oh, I finished my article (well currently proofreading), but I was wondering what format I should make it?
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

XianForce wrote:Oh, I finished my article (well currently proofreading), but I was wondering what format I should make it?
Sweet! Format doesn't matter, plain text is fine, and if you have any pics, it's probably best they're separate.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

aamesxdavid wrote:
XianForce wrote:Oh, I finished my article (well currently proofreading), but I was wondering what format I should make it?
Sweet! Format doesn't matter, plain text is fine, and if you have any pics, it's probably best they're separate.
Well, I don't think plain text would be a smart idea, I have some code that I made some 'ghetto syntax highlighting' of (Just changed the color of the text). Right now it's in an odt format (Open Office), but I don't know if you have that :p. So would it be easier if I put it in a Microsoft Word (.doc) format?
aamesxdavid
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by aamesxdavid »

XianForce wrote:Well, I don't think plain text would be a smart idea, I have some code that I made some 'ghetto syntax highlighting' of (Just changed the color of the text). Right now it's in an odt format (Open Office), but I don't know if you have that :p. So would it be easier if I put it in a Microsoft Word (.doc) format?
Hm, well the reason I say plain text is because it's going into a different program anyway for pdf formatting. I do have Open Office, so that would be fine, and I suppose I can copy or re-create the highlighting.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

aamesxdavid wrote:
XianForce wrote:Well, I don't think plain text would be a smart idea, I have some code that I made some 'ghetto syntax highlighting' of (Just changed the color of the text). Right now it's in an odt format (Open Office), but I don't know if you have that :p. So would it be easier if I put it in a Microsoft Word (.doc) format?
Hm, well the reason I say plain text is because it's going into a different program anyway for pdf formatting. I do have Open Office, so that would be fine, and I suppose I can copy or re-create the highlighting.
Oh alright then, I'm going to proofread it one last time, and then I'll send it over :D

EDIT: Sent :p
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod

Post by pritam »

Here's what I've come up with so far for the logo.
There is one in higher resolution, scaled it down for preview.

About distributing this via PDF, I think it's a bad idea because it's slow, you need additional software from Adobe to view it, it's more efficient to distribute it as HTML+CSS (which is easy to convert to PDF if ever needed), it's easier/faster to keep a standard format through CSS.. the things that come to mind at the moment.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

OH EM GEE that is sexay!
JaxDragon
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Kanoba Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS3, PC

Post by JaxDragon »

pritam wrote:Here's what I've come up with so far for the logo.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

There is one in higher resolution, scaled it down for preview.

About distributing this via PDF, I think it's a bad idea because it's slow, you need additional software from Adobe to view it, it's more efficient to distribute it as HTML+CSS (which is easy to convert to PDF if ever needed), it's easier/faster to keep a standard format through CSS.. the things that come to mind at the moment.
Also, with html/css/php you could have people login to the site, and send articles from there.
avansc
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by avansc »

I am working on something small right now. I'm just gonna give a link to a PDF, and i'll also give the link to the latex source.
Some person, "I have a black belt in karate"
Dad, "Yea well I have a fan belt in street fighting"
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

You have my WORD that when I return from my Salt Lake City, Utah vacation, I shall be getting off of my ass and writing you my article. :D