New(ish) To game programming, Were to go next?

Anything related in any way to game development as a whole is welcome here. Tell us about your game, grace us with your project, show us your new YouTube video, etc.

Moderator: PC Supremacists

dbomb101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Side Scroller
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Gameboy, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox360, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Re: New(ish) To game programming, Were to go next?

Post by dbomb101 »

As Van-B mentions it really doesn't matter as which programming language and graphics API you use as there is a great deal more to worry about as greatly documented in this post on
stackoverflow.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1964 ... -gl-or-xna

I think it is far more important to do something that interests you and then research and implement it as much as possible, for example for years I had an interest in console emulation (as you may notice in the last thread I made on here) , so for my final year of university I got the rare opportunity to create anything I want, so clearly I went with emulation and despite literally knowing nothing about the creating such software in the beginning of the year, by the end of it I had one up and running near perfect and got a ton of experience using SDL and C++. The point of that highly irrevelant story is that doing stuff simply to check off a requirement list isn't the best approach, but instead you should pick an interesting project and you will learn the skills as you go along.
StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC Xbox360 SNES N64
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Re: New(ish) To game programming, Were to go next?

Post by StoveBacon »

Thanks for all the replies, next time i get the chance to i will sit down and dev for a while.

EDIT:
Can i get some opinions on what i should use?
SDL or SFML

SFML looks pretty simple and good.
SeaNanners wrote:"I shall be Vince Bonesteel and you will be....Rick McLightning!"
Day[9] wrote:"Read a book to children. Mass genocide. Lunch. The life of Dr. Seuss himself."