Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Random irrelevance that just didn't fit into other forums. Talk about anything.

Moderator: Talkative People

MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Re: Official "Hello, World! (I'm new!)" thread

Post by MrDeathNote »

dandymcgee wrote:
GroundUpEngine wrote:Welcome Pentium4, nice stuff and only 13! ;)
Just what I was thinking! That's quite a bit of experience you've got going on for your age man. Keep up the great work and you'll be headed off to any college you desire soon enough.
Exactly, any time your about to go out with friends think about this and get the fuck back to work!!!! lol om, welcome to the forums man.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC Xbox360 SNES N64
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by StoveBacon »

Well, My name is Keith.
I've been working on and off with c++ for the past year or so.
But i really want to settle down now and focus on devving.
I can do all my own music & art.
I use Allegro but im probabley going to move to SDL soon.
So yeah...
SeaNanners wrote:"I shall be Vince Bonesteel and you will be....Rick McLightning!"
Day[9] wrote:"Read a book to children. Mass genocide. Lunch. The life of Dr. Seuss himself."
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

Hey sweet, seen you around. Tip, SFML seems to be the preference of everyone who's used it here... I haven't but from what I've read seems like a good idea to get into
dbomb101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Side Scroller
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Gameboy, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox360, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#

Post by dbomb101 »

Hey my name is Darren, been deving a game with XNA since I graduated university this summer (detective game hoping to have it ready to enter Dream Build Play), also done some graphics work using JOGL (javing binding of opengl) and a couple of flash games.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

sweet :D Keep posting about it here, we'll give you some criticism and encouragement
dbomb101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by dbomb101 »

Thanks, I will definitely do that
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Welcome dbomb101 ;)
FLYINgPidgeonKick!
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by FLYINgPidgeonKick! »

Hi I'm new!
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

FLYINgPidgeonKick! wrote:Hi I'm new!
Nice to meet ya new.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
dbomb101
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by dbomb101 »

Hey welcome aboard ! I just here myself >-<
gm3dgames
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: GM3D 2D Game Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast, Xbox360

Post by gm3dgames »

Hey guys :) been following AiGD since video 3 and cant get enough of it :P

About me:

I am 17 years old, i started out using Game Maker (yes i know... but i was 6 or 7), then about 2 years later i took on learning C++, thanks to an awesome friend of mine. I started to get really interested in computers at the same time and decided to study about them. A (few?) years later i found C# and was messing around with that, and also i looked into web development. For web development, i started writing simple web pages with HTML then i was introduced, by the same friend, to PHP. Right now im using C++ and PHP quite constantly and i am in the process of writing a game engine using SDL and Opengl. I have done a few small jobs for companies so far, and im looking to make my living through programming after uni.

I joined this forum to talk with others that are interested in programming and by the looks of it, i made the right choice to come here :)

Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

Welcome to the forum! You're lucky to have an awesome friend to introduce you to programming, most of us didn't have that luxury. ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Post by EccentricDuck »

gm3dgames wrote:Hey guys :) been following AiGD since video 3 and cant get enough of it :P

About me:

I am 17 years old, i started out using Game Maker (yes i know... but i was 6 or 7), then about 2 years later i took on learning C++, thanks to an awesome friend of mine. I started to get really interested in computers at the same time and decided to study about them. A (few?) years later i found C# and was messing around with that, and also i looked into web development. For web development, i started writing simple web pages with HTML then i was introduced, by the same friend, to PHP. Right now im using C++ and PHP quite constantly and i am in the process of writing a game engine using SDL and Opengl. I have done a few small jobs for companies so far, and im looking to make my living through programming after uni.

I joined this forum to talk with others that are interested in programming and by the looks of it, i made the right choice to come here :)

There's nothing wrong with using Game Maker, just so long as you appreciate that in building a full launchable game there needs to be some significant programming behind it (and you obviously do given your current programming background). If someone enjoys making levels with Game Maker and implementing some game logic, it at least means they might make a decent scripter or level designer... and by enjoy, I mean they find it interesting enough that they'd actually complete at least a simple game or module - unlike Bearrick who was always trying to get friends together to make something in Game Maker and couldn't find the motivation as a team to do it (I think that's an important distinction to make).

Personally, I could never get into things like Game Maker. I enjoy developing/interacting with systems more than tiling levels and writing basic scripts (games like Simcity appeal to me very strongly). I never really found a game/level mod tool that really satisfied me for long either. The kind of "front-end" things I'm most interested in seem to be advanced rendering techniques, AI, procedural generation, user-interaction systems (Scribblenauts fascinates me), etc. and those things mostly stem from working with deeper systems.

I'm just trying to point out that Game Maker is not a bad thing - it can be a good intermediate layer for someone who wants to interact with surface level game logic - something that someone like me might not have as much interest in doing as, say, creating a procedurally rendered heightmap and filling the world with random entities that interact with each other. Anywho, enough of me babbling - welcome to the forums!
gm3dgames
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: GM3D 2D Game Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast, Xbox360

Post by gm3dgames »

and Eccentric, i understand completely what you mean. If i were to go back to Game Maker, i would probably use it as a first concept tool. So instead of going through the whole process of building an engine, i would use Game Maker to grasp a design. But i don't do that since i pre-plan everything on paper and by using my brain. And through time i learned that i could do so much more by going deeper into the system. anyway, thanks for the welcome :) It should be interesting here.
blake2k5
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by blake2k5 »

Hello world.... I am new, bored as hell, and dont know what to talk about... Hows life?
"I can lead a nation with a microphone"