Slowly losing motivation...

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

StoveBacon
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC Xbox360 SNES N64
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Slowly losing motivation...

Post by StoveBacon »

i'm kind of ok at game programming but recently i've just not been doing it because i've lost my motivation. I have to many problems with my current project that i put it on hold. Is there anything thats kind of easy to make but will help me learn?
SeaNanners wrote:"I shall be Vince Bonesteel and you will be....Rick McLightning!"
Day[9] wrote:"Read a book to children. Mass genocide. Lunch. The life of Dr. Seuss himself."
houston
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: SDL_xhtml engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, MacOS, Linux, iPhone
Programming Language of Choice: Assembly, C, C++

Re: Slowly losing motivation...

Post by houston »

KeithStoffel wrote:i'm kind of ok at game programming but recently i've just not been doing it because i've lost my motivation. I have to many problems with my current project that i put it on hold. Is there anything thats kind of easy to make but will help me learn?
hi; what I do when I lose my motivation is go write some very useful utility functions that I know will always come in useful, for example I just finished writing a list library in ANSI C that I can use just like a PERL or JavaScript array.. push(list,item), pop(list,item), shift(list,item), insert(list,nitem,bitem), getitem(list,index) etc.. wrap it up and document the thing with some interactive HTML and your good..

You can never have enough useful libs, and I find it's better to write your own than use other peoples, more fun and gives you a better understanding of its limits/features...

houston.
ibly31
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Like... seven different ones
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Xbox 360, Gamecube
Programming Language of Choice: C++, ObjC

Post by ibly31 »

I always try to make easy games that are very rewarding to make. It doesn't have to be too flashy - just something that doesn't require complex matrix multiplication to display a cube.

I don't really have any examples because I have to get off, but basically you make something really simple, and slowly add features. Then, eventually, you'll feel motivated enough to work on your main project (and drain all your motivation XD). Rinse aaand repeat. :)
Twitter
Website/Tumblr
My Projects

The best thing about UDP jokes is that I don’t care if you get them or not.
Trask
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: Building a 2D Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Sega Genesis and Xbox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++

Post by Trask »

If I'm stuck on a project, but I still want to code something I usually break away from C++ and make some small projects in a scripting language or in Dark Basic, just so I can code up quick and get a result.

Also, getting knee deep in a project involving more than just code, like a game... you can take a break and work on another aspect such as graphics, story, or music. Seeing another aspect of the project come together would really motivate me. Make a kick ass sprite sheet, but my engine can't load it yet... gotta fix that... ya know?
MarauderIIC wrote:You know those people that are like "CHECK IT OUT I just made Linux run on this piece of celery [or other random object]!!"? Yeah, that's Falco, but with ES.
Dear god, they actually ported ES to a piece of celery!
Martin Golding wrote: "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

i find watching videos by developers who are better than me. for example i do flash development, and watching the Adobe Max conference videos inspires me far more than looking at code examples.

also as falco said in one of the videos, having a side project is a good idea. being able to do something purely for fun helps break away from whatever it is you normally are doing
gamenovice
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: wii u dev, sdl, and some unity 3D
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, GAMEBOY, GAMECUBE, WII, 3DS,PS2
Programming Language of Choice: C#,C++,Java

Post by gamenovice »

i watch the AiGD series when i get unmotivated, it kicks me in the ass and yells at me, "GET THE FUCK BACK TO WORK YOU PRICK!!" :)
without code, we wouldnt have life as we know it...
pritam
Chaos Rift Demigod
Chaos Rift Demigod
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Amiga, PSOne, NDS
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by pritam »

Like everyone is suggesting, do something you like, makes you happy and takes your mind off of things, it could be anything, it gets easier to do the things you struggle with.
houston
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: SDL_xhtml engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, MacOS, Linux, iPhone
Programming Language of Choice: Assembly, C, C++

Post by houston »

What is the reason for losing your motivation?

Have you simply become overwhelmed with the amount of work that is ahead of you? because this happens a lot to just about everybody, if so you need to stop thinking ahead and just do the task at hand, better achieved by breaking your projects up into manageable parts.
Sometimes programming can seem like walking a very long road that has no end, just don't think about it and keep going step by step, you'll get there in the end.

houston.