Confusion

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Confusion

Post by N64vSNES »

THe Floating Brain wrote:I understand were you are coming from. But I realy have a good grasp on C++ I understand it very well (I <3 C++ ). Somtimes I would even spend a month or two going over the same tutorial until I knew I got it right then practice then consult poeple I knew in real life and reapeat (when I was learning for the past 3 years). Also you have to understand I did just get out of the command promp/game maker 8 stage (which I stayed in for about 4 months) I am new to game dev (about 7 months in) and a fourm with programmers of this level. (Not saying all the programmers on antiRTFM's fourm are not exparanced.) I know I usialy sound like a idout and I kick myself everytime I do but I do have a better understanding then I let off.
Dude people aren't trying to insult you. Seriously go buy a book, start at "hello world". At the end of the book you'll notice how much of the basics you've missed.

Nobody is saying you don't have a good grasp on C++, we're saying you've missed stuff that you need to go back and look at.

I've gone way back to hello world many times because I know I will keep missing somthing.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

N64vSNES wrote:Nobody is saying you don't have a good grasp on C++, we're saying you've missed stuff that you need to go back and look at.
Actually, we are saying he doesn't have a good grasp on C++, because he's missed stuff. Once he's gone over the stuff again, then he'll have an actual good grasp.
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

Ginto8 wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:Nobody is saying you don't have a good grasp on C++, we're saying you've missed stuff that you need to go back and look at.
Actually, we are saying he doesn't have a good grasp on C++, because he's missed stuff. Once he's gone over the stuff again, then he'll have an actual good grasp.
Yeah, I agree more with what Ginto8 has said. The use of classes is such a vital segment of C++, that when you misunderstand key concepts such as using a constructor with arguments, then I don't really see anyway that you have a "good grasp" on C++.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

Ginto8 wrote:
Dude he isn't going to go back and look through all this shit if he thinks we're saying it purely to insult him. :|
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

N64vSNES wrote:
Ginto8 wrote:
Dude he isn't going to go back and look through all this shit if he thinks we're saying it purely to insult him. :|
If I were trying to insult him, I'd just call him an ignorant cock-sucker and leave it at that. I wouldn't go and try to get him to help himself actually understand what he hasn't learned. ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Post by THe Floating Brain »

Sam034 wrote:Stop trying to learn the basics with tutorials and online sources. Buy a book. Most books assume you don't know anything about the language and explain things in extra detail so you understand them. You have been practicing c++ for 3 years.... Have you ever thought that maybe online sources weren't the best place to start at?
I did go to tutorials that assumed I knew nothing http://www.learncplusplus.com, I know this is a horrible website and I quicly erased everything I learned from it but http://www.cprogramming.com/, antiRTFM, a couple poeple I knew in real life, C++ for dummies. I think most of those start you at the begining. I mainly learned from antiRTFM and afterwords quickly realised he missed some stuff so I went back a bit and went on XoaX.net and IBM and learncpp for reference. Also I dont like books I kinda have dyslexia :oops: .
Ginto8 wrote:
N64vSNES wrote:
Ginto8 wrote:
If I were trying to insult him, I'd just call him an ignorant cock-sucker and leave it at that. I wouldn't go and try to get him to help himself actually understand what he hasn't learned. ;)
I know your not trying to insult me.

N64vSNES wrote:
THe Floating Brain wrote:I understand were you are coming from. But I realy have a good grasp on C++ I understand it very well (I <3 C++ ). Somtimes I would even spend a month or two going over the same tutorial until I knew I got it right then practice then consult poeple I knew in real life and reapeat (when I was learning for the past 3 years). Also you have to understand I did just get out of the command promp/game maker 8 stage (which I stayed in for about 4 months) I am new to game dev (about 7 months in) and a fourm with programmers of this level. (Not saying all the programmers on antiRTFM's fourm are not exparanced.) I know I usialy sound like a idout and I kick myself everytime I do but I do have a better understanding then I let off.
Dude people aren't trying to insult you. Seriously go buy a book, start at "hello world". At the end of the book you'll notice how much of the basics you've missed.

Nobody is saying you don't have a good grasp on C++, we're saying you've missed stuff that you need to go back and look at.

I've gone way back to hello world many times because I know I will keep missing somthing.
Agreed but I dont think I need to go all the way back to "hello world" :-)

Il go review some concepts that I have missed. I will continue to work on my engine and stuff still but I will review a bit.
Last edited by THe Floating Brain on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by XianForce »

THe Floating Brain wrote: Il go review some concepts that I have missed. I will continue to work on my engine and stuff still but I will review a bit.
And that's all we're suggesting that you do.
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Post by THe Floating Brain »

Feel like such a noob :oops:
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage