I want to make games but...

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

Scratchpost
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

I want to make games but...

Post by Scratchpost »

I have no idea where to begin. I've taken a few classes in programming, was pretty good at it but I just don't know how. Most of all I want to know how math fits into the picture. I assume math is important in calculating how an object on the screen moves around the world, and making things rotate and do all kinds of things. The highest math course I've taken is Algebra 1, but I have an algebra 2 book here I could read. I've read some of it, but I still don't understand how any of this applies to the real world, or programming. Could someone help explain to me how this works? I've just finished a book on Visual basic .net 2010, and I'm thinking about learning a graphics library, or graphics engine like Ogre or Crystal Space.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Re: I want to make games but...

Post by Ginto8 »

Falco's vids are a good place to start for figuring out how. There must be dozens of tutorials on this forum, and some more simply by forum members. Moosader's got some great ones. If you're confused about anything specific, we can help you, but like in real life, there's nothing more annoying to someone trying to help you understand when, in response to "what don't you understand?" you answer "everything" ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
krilik
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES,PS1

Post by krilik »

Just pick a language and go for it. If you are new to programming don't worry about what language, libraries, math, etc you are going to need. It isn't going to matter for the first few games that you are going to make. Just start small. If you know programming and just want to start learning a graphics API try SDL, SMFL, or XNA for starters.

Honestly, I started making games with the languages that I knew. Visual Basic back in like 2003. All I did was use the Windows API and made simple games. And eventually Pong. And I started to find alternative ways after I taught myself (badly) how to make games with Visual Basic. I moved over the Dark Basic. And eventually C# and XNA.
Exiled
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Zenoa
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, GC, NES
Programming Language of Choice: VB08

Post by Exiled »

Start with an easy language like Python or Visual Basic(what I use). It's boring at first, but once you learn the essentials of creating a game it's FUN AS HELL.
http://www.overlordgaming.tk

"If you can't find something to live for, you best find something to die for."
like80ninjas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by like80ninjas »

To be honest with you(and i'll probably be bashed for this) I started with Game Maker. But for it to get you past the baby steps you have to actually learn their scripting language, not just drag and drop. If you do it that way, and apply c++ syntax guidelines then it's actually a really good platform for lifting you into the world of programming. I started that way, and now i'm up to a level where i'm making my own engine (C++ SDL OpenGL). I actually think Game Maker is a great start to programming, because it gives you the ability to learn programming basics, but with a little more blanketing. It won't poop itself when you forget a semi-colon (Though you should try to develop the habit of adding them) and it gives you a nice GUI to get you comfortable and to make short little games fast.

To me, making command prompt programs was discouraging, you didn't see any results, I understand that to a newbie, you wanna see progress fast, and so I recommend Game Maker.

However, I recommend as well, that you strive to move into the world of fully developing your own engine, so you don't get stuck in the Game Maker phase.

I will probably upload a Youtube video of my own engine in the near future, as I've been wanting to get feedback on my game, but It's a 2 hour upload time on Youtube, and I haven't felt like waiting lol, but you can check that out when I post it to see how far I've come.

Hope this helps!
Scratchpost
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by Scratchpost »

Thanks for the advice guys!

Did I see something mentioning GDI or GDI+ or something as something to start programming games with in gyro's videos? I've just learned that VB has GDI+ built in, and I've been experimenting with it. When I took that class we used some graphics stuff, but I didn't know it was GDI+

And you're right about not seeing results fast, when I took a class on C++ I finished the class and was left wondering how you ever made complex stuff like graphics, netcode, etc. The book I have doesn't mention libraries or how to use them, neither did the class (the same goes for the VB class). This was all in HS.
like80ninjas
Chaos Rift Regular
Chaos Rift Regular

Post by like80ninjas »

Yeah in the early days of c++, for me at least, it was all console programs. But you have to realize that you gotta build the skills. If you want to continue that route I'd say just put in effort and grab a book such as Sam's teach yourself c++ in 21 days, and post on here for someone to help you, I've found these guys amazingly helpful.
Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Aleios »

like80ninjas, i also have used game maker. It can be pretty good to start off with, mainly because it has (although loosely) principles of the C\C++ syntax and it also has the concept of classes. And scratchpost, don't worry, everyone here has asked themselves that same question "where do i begin?", hell, i ask myself that all the time :)

Also, math comes in handy quite a lot with programming, especially in game development. For example, you cant have a collision without math. Things like Vectors, Matrices, etc; All these things will be useful later on. oh and, First thing before attempting to create a game is learning the language, otherwise its like talking to Japanese man in English, most of the time he will look at you like you are mental.
Exiled
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie
Current Project: Zenoa
Favorite Gaming Platforms: N64, GC, NES
Programming Language of Choice: VB08

Post by Exiled »

Oh yeah, I used to use an engine. I've been making games since I was 4 with RPG Maker, but in August I switched to Visual Basic. I would recommend Game Maker or starting an easy language more, though, for RPG Maker doesn't have any scripting meaning it won't get you very far when you start to program.
http://www.overlordgaming.tk

"If you can't find something to live for, you best find something to die for."
Aleios
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: Aleios Engine
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Dreamcast
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Post by Aleios »

Exiled wrote:Oh yeah, I used to use an engine. I've been making games since I was 4 with RPG Maker, but in August I switched to Visual Basic. I would recommend Game Maker or starting an easy language more, though, for RPG Maker doesn't have any scripting meaning it won't get you very far when you start to program.
Actually, RPG maker uses ruby for making scripts and even for its already defined things. Even though i don't use RPG maker thought i would just point that out :P
rogue72uk
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by rogue72uk »

Hi Scratchpost

interested on how your getting on ...
i too in last few weeks was kinda thinking along same lines
ok i wanna make summat but didnt wanna get bogged down in directx/gl as id surely give up
(and on same sentiment i didnt wanna play with blitz or darkbasic)

as others have stated here there are plenty of youtube vids, but RIGHTLY so
they tend give you the jist but really want YOU to figure stuff out, so i did lol

you have basic & c++ experience... so your at same level i was few weeks ago

after trawling forums like rift, decided msvc++ & sdl libs was a decent FREE first step
and i found lazy foos sdl tuts covered all the basic building blocks i needed to get cracking
along with moosader you tube tuts , soon had basic tile map / animation / collision system running
(actually did a mario bros clone which covered all basic aspects i wanted)
sdl has some really good addons for fonts / sound&music / network too to polish off even simpliest of games

dont worry about the math aspect so much ,in a 3D engine / game that really would up the ante math wise
if you really just starting out, all you need to be able to do is pretty basic range checking / bounding box collisions etc

keep it simple, dont run b4 you can walk is really good advise that i listen to from these forums

good luck & happy coding
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

Scratchpost wrote:Thanks for the advice guys!

Did I see something mentioning GDI or GDI+ or something as something to start programming games with in gyro's videos? I've just learned that VB has GDI+ built in, and I've been experimenting with it. When I took that class we used some graphics stuff, but I didn't know it was GDI+

And you're right about not seeing results fast, when I took a class on C++ I finished the class and was left wondering how you ever made complex stuff like graphics, netcode, etc. The book I have doesn't mention libraries or how to use them, neither did the class (the same goes for the VB class). This was all in HS.
I've used GDI and GDI+ before and for VERY VERY small games they are ok, but it's a crazy slllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwww API so you'll have to move on. It's prob not even worth using it as you could gain more experience in a better API. You could try XNA it has support for VB and it's as easy to use a GDI but MUCH more powerfull.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup