[SOLVED] QT

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

[SOLVED] QT

Post by GroundUpEngine »

I can't recall ever using QT, but it looks quite nice for quick GUI based stuff in C/C++. Can anyone recommend some good tutorials on thier SDK and what not? ;)

Thanks,
HebronS
Last edited by GroundUpEngine on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: QT

Post by N64vSNES »

I'm fairly sure some decent documentation comes with the IDE.
I could be wrong though, been a while since I've done Cute.
adikid89
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: small tiny-mini projects
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC I guess...
Programming Language of Choice: c++

Post by adikid89 »

Yep. Documentation comes with qt designer, it also comes with a lot of very well document tutorial projects.
My first game C++/SDL Yoshi Combat! = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9mMBEWSZg
==============================================================
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by Falco Girgis »

Dude, the documentation built in to QT Creator is fucking AMAZING. It's all you'll ever need.

Just download the QT Creator IDE, and you're set.
Ginto8
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Java

Post by Ginto8 »

GyroVorbis wrote:Just download the QT Creator IDE, and you're set.
Note: This IDE is amazing for almost any project, not just Qt ones ;)
Quit procrastinating and make something awesome.
Ducky wrote:Give a man some wood, he'll be warm for the night. Put him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
ParticleGames
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Current Project: A map editor for a platformer I plan to develop
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Wii, Gamecube

Post by ParticleGames »

Wow sounds pretty good, I will have to check it out.
Check out my iPhone app here: http://twilighthop.com
kaktusas2598
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by kaktusas2598 »

Oh men, I looked in QT website and all those screenshots look cool, also I know that Elysian Shadows Level Editor are created with QT, I might learn QT, but one question: I already learning SDL, Lua and plan OpenGL, it is not too much ? It would be great to know some GUI framework such as QT...

Edit: Are you guys in ES team use QT designer for creating GUI or you hard code all GUIin your level editor?
Milch
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Post by Milch »

Well, I don't want to be a bitch or something,but I dont like to use Qt because of 2 reasons:
1. I was not able to get Qt running inside CodeBlocks - so I had to use QtCreator (Though, this not only a fault of Qt itself, its more less a fault on my side too)
2. Qt creates .moc files out of your source files (for the slot system) - so basically it compiles your code before it gets sent to GCC (or whatever compiler you are using), and I simply hate that.

Otherwise, Qt is pretty cool.
It has a super neat slot system and a great documentation!
Follow me on twitter!
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360

Post by MrDeathNote »

Milch wrote:Well, I don't want to be a bitch or something,but I dont like to use Qt because of 2 reasons:
1. I was not able to get Qt running inside CodeBlocks - so I had to use QtCreator (Though, this not only a fault of Qt itself, its more less a fault on my side too)
Yea, this is a fault on your end not Qt's. It can be a pain to get it set up in a different IDE, I had it set up in eclipse for a while but then I started using Qt creator and loved it so there really isn't a problem.
Milch wrote: 2. Qt creates .moc files out of your source files (for the slot system) - so basically it compiles your code before it gets sent to GCC (or whatever compiler you are using), and I simply hate that.
I don't understand why that bothers you. You like the slot system but not the way they implement it, there really aren't a lot of other options for implementing this design? Also if your using Qt creator all of that precompilation is done behind the scenes and you don't have to worry about it.

If these are the only faults you can find with Qt I think it's doing a damn fine job!!
Milch wrote: It has a super neat slot system and a great documentation!
Amen!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
Falco Girgis
Elysian Shadows Team
Elysian Shadows Team
Current Project: Elysian Shadows
Favorite Gaming Platforms: Dreamcast, SNES, NES

Post by Falco Girgis »

kaktusas2598 wrote:Oh men, I looked in QT website and all those screenshots look cool, also I know that Elysian Shadows Level Editor are created with QT, I might learn QT, but one question: I already learning SDL, Lua and plan OpenGL, it is not too much ? It would be great to know some GUI framework such as QT...

Edit: Are you guys in ES team use QT designer for creating GUI or you hard code all GUIin your level editor?
Of course it's not too much. There's no such thing as learning too much in this business.

And we do kind of a hybrid. Any window/widget that I make, I completely code by hand, because I'm very familiar with the widget system and suck ass with designer. Marcel uses designer for most of his widgets/windows, so...
Milch wrote:2. Qt creates .moc files out of your source files (for the slot system) - so basically it compiles your code before it gets sent to GCC (or whatever compiler you are using), and I simply hate that.
Well considering the fact that the entire metaobject/signals and slots system would be impossible without an extra layer of translation... this doesn't bother me...
kaktusas2598
Chaos Rift Newbie
Chaos Rift Newbie

Post by kaktusas2598 »

GyroVorbis wrote:
kaktusas2598 wrote:Oh men, I looked in QT website and all those screenshots look cool, also I know that Elysian Shadows Level Editor are created with QT, I might learn QT, but one question: I already learning SDL, Lua and plan OpenGL, it is not too much ? It would be great to know some GUI framework such as QT...

Of course it's not too much. There's no such thing as learning too much in this business.

And we do kind of a hybrid. Any window/widget that I make, I completely code by hand, because I'm very familiar with the widget system and suck ass with designer. Marcel uses designer for most of his widgets/windows, so...
Ok, when I will consider learning Qt, it might become handy..
GroundUpEngine
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee
Current Project: mixture

Post by GroundUpEngine »

Thanks a bunch guys, and I'm glad others want to learn QT too!
GyroVorbis wrote:Dude, the documentation built in to QT Creator is fucking AMAZING. It's all you'll ever need.

Just download the QT Creator IDE, and you're set.
Dayum your right about that, amazing! :mrgreen: