Web Dev'

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: RTS possible Third Person shooter engine.
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC, Wii, Xbox 360, GAME CUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Programming Language of Choice: C/C++, Python 3, C#

Web Dev'

Post by THe Floating Brain »

As some of you may know I am making a game engine , I plan for it to include the White-Storm: Lightning library (White-Storm: Lightning = name of engine) a "collision point editor" and a map editor. This would be simple enough (well not exactly simple) but I want to make the collision point editor and the map editor web applications. I herd that you can develop for the Internet in C++ through means of PHP (game engine is written in C++). I am unsure if this is true. I was wondering if for the web applications I should use Java. I would just use Java for the web development but I don't know if the sprites are the same size in memory with OpenGL and Java as they are with SFML and C++ (OpenGL because SFML derives from OpenGL) so before I go learn an entire new language and library I was hoping to get some opinions.
Thanks for reading :-D

P.s I know I can sometimes be unclear as to my point so if any clarification is needed just let me know . :-)
P.s.s C++ for life! just saying ;-) .
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
XianForce
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Web Dev'

Post by XianForce »

Out of curiosity, what's the point in making those web apps?
christo
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: iPhone, PS3
Programming Language of Choice: c, java, groovy

Post by christo »

I think the language you know best should have a huge advantage for doing anything. That said, C++ is probably the worst language for web development in general.

If you are asking what is the best language to develop web apps in if you don't know any of them, I think I would recommend any of Python, Ruby (Ruby on Rails) or Groovy (Grails) (my current favourite).

PHP is something other people recommend but I think it is very poorly organised and therefore ultimately more difficult and less useful than other stacks.

As you say Java is another possibility for web development, you might like to check out the play framework but I don't know if I can really recommend Java without knowing more about your programming abilities.
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

XianForce wrote:Out of curiosity, what's the point in making those web apps?
In case someone using it runs around alot (like me) you dont have to install them again on another computer.
christo wrote:I think the language you know best should have a huge advantage for doing anything. That said, C++ is probably the worst language for web development in general.

If you are asking what is the best language to develop web apps in if you don't know any of them, I think I would recommend any of Python, Ruby (Ruby on Rails) or Groovy (Grails) (my current favourite).

PHP is something other people recommend but I think it is very poorly organised and therefore ultI'mately more difficult and less useful than other stacks.
Thank you for your input :-)
christo wrote:As you say Java is another possibility for web development, you might like to check out the play framework but I don't know if I can really recommend Java without knowing more about your programming abilities.
My programming skills are not exactly the best on the forum but I'm okay at it.
"Why did we say we were going to say we were going to change the world tomorrow yesterday? Maybe you can." - Myself

ImageImage
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: https://github.com/dbechrd/RicoTech
Favorite Gaming Platforms: NES, Sega Genesis, PS2, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C

Post by dandymcgee »

THe Floating Brain wrote:
In case someone using it runs around alot (like me) you dont have to install them again on another computer.
So don't put it in an installer. Just put the standalone .exe in a zip and host it on the site.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

dandymcgee wrote:
So don't put it in an installer. Just put the standalone .exe in a zip and host it on the site.
Idk I kinda want it to look more... profesional plus I want to be able to use it at school XD (when there is no more work to do of corse :-) )

ImageImage
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

dandymcgee wrote: So don't put it in an installer. Just put the standalone .exe in a zip and host it on the site.
Idk I kinda want it to look more... profesional plus I want to be able to use it at school XD (when there is no more work to do of corse :-) )
Why would that prevent you from using it at school? And show me a professional non-web-based game whose map editor is web-based.
Falco Girgis wrote:It is imperative that I can broadcast my narcissistic commit strings to the Twitter! Tweet Tweet, bitches! :twisted:
k1net1k
Chaos Rift Maniac
Chaos Rift Maniac

Post by k1net1k »

i think he means he could just go to a website and do his level design, when he is meant to be working on other stuff.
and some schools only allow certain apps/ports through
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

k1net1k wrote:i think he means he could just go to a website and do his level design, when he is meant to be working on other stuff.
and some schools only allow certain apps/ports through
Bingo :-)
dandymcgee wrote: And show me a professional non-web-based game whose map editor is web-based.
I wouldd allow a complete instillation option it would just allow you to use it on the web when you don't have much time or you are running a computer without it.
P.s I can show you a game that is web based with a web based map editor http://www.kongregate.com/games/Jiggmin ... m-racing-2 . :-)

ImageImage
christo
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Favorite Gaming Platforms: iPhone, PS3
Programming Language of Choice: c, java, groovy

Post by christo »

go for it brain. web apps are the way of the future.

here's quake 2 ported to html 5 and javascript (using GWT): http://code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/
MrDeathNote
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer
Current Project: cocos2d-x project
Favorite Gaming Platforms: SNES, Sega Megadrive, XBox 360
Programming Language of Choice: C/++

Post by MrDeathNote »

christo wrote:go for it brain. web apps are the way of the future.

here's quake 2 ported to html 5 and javascript (using GWT): http://code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/
That's seriously bad ass :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeathNote1988

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Post by N64vSNES »

christo wrote:go for it brain. web apps are the way of the future.

Oh em gee! I no longer need to use the old 98/ME :lol:
dandymcgee
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by dandymcgee »

THe Floating Brain wrote:P.s I can show you a game that is web based with a web based map editor http://www.kongregate.com/games/Jiggmin ... m-racing-2 . :-)
That's not what I said.

In any case, there are plenty of different ways to do this depending on how you want it to work. Java is definitely one possibility.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Post by eatcomics »

I vote make it text based!
THe Floating Brain
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior

Thanks guys :-D

ImageImage