Adventure to the world of Dreamcast[solved]

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Adventure to the world of Dreamcast[solved]

Post by N64vSNES »

So as you probably know I got a dreamcast :)

Obviously I'm interesting on learning to dev for it and I've so far managed to burn a couple of games to a CD-R and run them all fine, I've even got a emulator set up for testing as well and I've invested and got a SD Card reader which should soon be delivered.

So I've gotten as far as burning some games like I said and I've gotten the DC Dev ISO set up with cygwin and all that crap. I've compiled one of the examples to a elf and then converted it to a CDI with a script called Data2CDi from the DCemulation forum. I ran it in the emulator and it started! Then it rebooted....And started!..And rebooted. Ya get the gist :lol: So I compiled another example and the same issue, I tried burning it to a CD and using my dreamcast, but the same issue.

I've consulted google and it seems I'm the only person to ever had this issue. I have a feeling it's this script I used to convert it to a CDI but that I'm not sure of.

I'm determined to get one of these examples running, any help or suggestions are MUCH appreciated.

thanks.

EDIT: When I say it "started" I mean it didn't complain that the wasn't any game disc, and it tried to load into the game/program/whatever but then it restarted.
Last edited by N64vSNES on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
eatcomics
ES Beta Backer
ES Beta Backer

Re: Adventure to the world of Dreamcast

Post by eatcomics »

Hmmm I do recall having this problem myself. Are you sure you burnt the disk right. Also did you say it did the same in the Emu? If so then your converter is probably the issue. Your emu should run the .elf, so try that out and confirm that it works
N64vSNES
Chaos Rift Devotee
Chaos Rift Devotee

Re: Adventure to the world of Dreamcast

Post by N64vSNES »

Okay a very helpful person from the DC IRC helped me with this. I'm not 100% sure what I did wrong but I guess the process of it is harder than writing the program itself. With the elf to bin and the bin to a scrambled bin and then that to a CDI etc It all gets complicated :lol:

Thanks though!