java game programming?

Whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer, any questions, help, or just talk of any language will be welcomed here.

Moderator: Coders of Rage

TheBuzzSaw
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Paroxysm
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PC
Programming Language of Choice: C++

Re: java game programming?

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

I can't speak for Java and its place in "the game industry", but Minecraft alone should make it abundantly clear that Java can build some classy games. :)
GyroVorbis wrote:Android is open to C/++ now...
The Android NDK has particular focus on OpenGL games. For the UI and 2D canvas rendering, you still need Java though. Still, I was so happy when I found out they'd be allowing pure C/C++ apps.
EccentricDuck
Chaos Rift Junior
Chaos Rift Junior
Current Project: Isometric "2.5D" Airship Game
Favorite Gaming Platforms: PS2, SNES, GBA, PC
Programming Language of Choice: C#, Python, JScript

Re: java game programming?

Post by EccentricDuck »

TheBuzzSaw wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Android is open to C/++ now...
The Android NDK has particular focus on OpenGL games. For the UI and 2D canvas rendering, you still need Java though. Still, I was so happy when I found out they'd be allowing pure C/C++ apps.
Yeah, the main issue is that the NDK doesn't have access to the APIs for the platform. Still though, if you were to code most of a game in C++ and then just use Java and the API for a nice UI then you've got your bases covered. There's also the Android Scripting Environment (ASE) where you can use Python and Lua, and I believe those do have access to the API (and you can apparently even write scripts from on the phone).