gaming pc

Anything pertaining to video gaming whether it be old or new, PC or Console.

Moderator: Gaming Addictees

guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

gaming pc

Post by guyofcomics »

hey, i want to build a gaming pc. I plan on heading down to our pc store. The guy who owns it is huge into pc gaming and makes those all the time. Just, any thoughts? Intel or AMD? just, all those types of Q's
Go Bears!
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Do not go to any PC store, a PC is easy as hell to build yourself, and there are TONS of guides online.

How much are you looking to spend? I can map out a system for you fairly quickly if you give me a budget.
There is no signature.
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Unfortunately, my PC building information is probably out-of-date. =)
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

willing to spend

Post by guyofcomics »

idk, im willing to spend around 600. I found some parts that have good reviews and good pricing, i have to go down to my dell, my next post will have the links for the parts
Go Bears!
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

my list so far

Post by guyofcomics »

Go Bears!
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820146565 this is the RAM you want, the RAM you posted was (shitty) laptop memory.

Also, get this processor instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115029
There is no signature.
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by guyofcomics »

omg, thank you for the comments. And yoshi, I love you. lol. great find on the ram and processor. I took the case out of the equation because we have lots of big pc cases around my house, ill get a new power supply for it and that will take out at least 40 dollars. Right now, I'm looking at $541. Any other thoughts about anything. The case for example, i thank all of you for helping. this is going to be a good machine
Go Bears!
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to tell you you need a good PSU, and not to waste money on a cheap one. They'll end up failing anywhere from 1-6 months after you buy them if you use your computer...well once a day.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817104037

Get that, and I can almost GUARANTEE you it will run just fine. They do a lot of subletting for Seasonic and other higher end PSU manufacturers, but don't cost quite as much.
There is no signature.
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by guyofcomics »

there was a 500 watt from a custom pc seller on ebay for 30, ill probably buy that. But, what do you think about me using an old case like i said?
Go Bears!
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

Sigh. If you buy that 500w I guarantee you'll be buying a new PSU in 6 mo's to a year, if that long. What you're looking for isn't even the wattage rating, or the name brand, but the stability of the 12v and 5v rails, more notably the 12v's as they supply the main power to your CPU and GPU. Save yourself the hassle and get the one I posted.

As for the case...it has no bearing on anything honestly. So it doesn't matter. As long as it's ATX
There is no signature.
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by guyofcomics »

ATX? how do I know if it is ATX? It came on some gateway pentium 3 a long time ago. Also, what do u say between Intel and AMD?
Go Bears!
MarauderIIC
Respected Programmer
Respected Programmer

Post by MarauderIIC »

Last I heard, AMD did faster floating point calculations (better for games that have heavy reliance on physics). Also, Western Digital hard drives have one of the lower lifespans among hard drives (mine has failed w/in 5 yrs, sister's failed w/in 3); Seagates tend to last a decade+.
I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planned.
DJ Yoshi
Game Developer
Game Developer

Post by DJ Yoshi »

That was indeed a while ago though. Intel's the gaming chip now. Ever since the Core Duo dropped, there's been no competition, though the Phenom isn't bad after overclocking, out of the box definitely Intel.

Also, WD has a just fine lifespan, as does Maxtor and Seagate. They're all going to be variable. I've seen Seagates fail in 6 months, but they DO come with a 5 year warranty.
There is no signature.
guyofcomics
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by guyofcomics »

ATX, what is that?
Go Bears!
teamtwentythree
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie
Chaos Rift Cool Newbie

Post by teamtwentythree »

ATX is a form factor, meaning its a standard used for Motherboards, Cases and Powersupplies such that they all fit together and are compatible.